Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby JimDrew » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 pm

If you guys would like to add .scp image format (like UAE/FS-UAE/WinUAE has), I would be happy to help with information about it. It was easy for Keir Fraser to add the support to UAE. .scp is a flux level image that allows you to run 100% of all Amiga disks, including those with any type of copy-protection (even the Pysgnosis titles that fail with IPF).
I am the flux ninja

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm

The question is how Minimig is precise to fit such strong protection.
Are there any games without stripped protection from 90x?

rittwage
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rittwage » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:01 am

This ADF of USA Bubble Bobble worked on my old MiST- I played it all the time. On MiSTer Minimig, it gurus during the boot. I've already verified the kickstart version does not matter, nor the chipset type or memory config.

lorenko
Atarian
Atarian

Postby lorenko » Wed May 02, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm new with Fpga, I'm using terasic de10 nano for this fantastic project and I'm trying to compile minimig core with quartus prime lite edition, but the result is time limited. Which 'compiler' do you use? Sorry for boring really newbie 8O 8O 8O

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 03, 2018 4:42 am

rittwage wrote:This ADF of USA Bubble Bobble worked on my old MiST- I played it all the time. On MiSTer Minimig, it gurus during the boot. I've already verified the kickstart version does not matter, nor the chipset type or memory config.

Yes, it doesn't work. Unfortunately, i doubt i can help with this.
May be there is other version of this game which works.

lorenko wrote:I'm new with Fpga, I'm using terasic de10 nano for this fantastic project and I'm trying to compile minimig core with quartus prime lite edition, but the result is time limited. Which 'compiler' do you use? Sorry for boring really newbie 8O 8O 8O

generally speaking, you need Standard Quartus license, not Free Web License. It's because video scaler code uses Altera MegaCore IP components.
You may compile Lite revision. It doesn't use these components and will be compiled as permanent, but you won't have HDMI output.

lorenko
Atarian
Atarian

Postby lorenko » Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 pm

lorenko wrote:I'm new with Fpga, I'm using terasic de10 nano for this fantastic project and I'm trying to compile minimig core with quartus prime lite edition, but the result is time limited. Which 'compiler' do you use? Sorry for boring really newbie 8O 8O 8O

generally speaking, you need Standard Quartus license, not Free Web License. It's because video scaler code uses Altera MegaCore IP components.
You may compile Lite revision. It doesn't use these components and will be compiled as permanent, but you won't have HDMI output.[/quote]

it is a pity :( :( . Only for hobby purposes it's ok even for an hour but I do not think I can convert the sof file to rbf. Or am I wrong?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 06, 2018 7:29 am

lorenko wrote:it is a pity :( :( . Only for hobby purposes it's ok even for an hour but I do not think I can convert the sof file to rbf. Or am I wrong?

if you want to provide patches for Minimig core, then you can do pull request on github. And later it will be included into new release.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 06, 2018 8:20 am

In the meantime I'm working on RDB disk handling. It is turned out completely messed in MiST code preventing re-partition and high capacity support.

here is updated code for test:
MiSTer.zip

With RDB format, now you can have the image with size up to 128GB. You also can start disk installation from scratch by providing empty file with required size.

ATTENTION: I found that RDB images prepared in WinUAE tend to have 256 sectors per track which is beyond capability of CHS. How it's handled in WinUAE - i have no idea. My code tries to translate it into 128 sectors with double heads amount if original amount allows. While it looks like working, i strongly suggest to initialize the new disk (if you use WinUAE) with no more than 255 sectors per track and no more than 16 heads for correct functionality.

New code is still not compatible with LBA, so do not try to use special drivers using LBA addressing. Basically, LBA is not really required as CHS supports up to 128GB which is more than enough for Amiga.
It should be compatible with custom file systems (PFS,SFS) with library injected into RDB as long as they don't try to use LBA mode.

I believe you need Workbench 3.9 for correct high capacity (>8GB) support.

non-RDB format is also supported as before, and of course it cannot be partitioned, thus has limited size of 4GB(or 8GB?).

So, i need help in testing. Backup your Amiga disk images before test!

Probably, it would be better to partition the image on MiSTer. Then try to copy around the files in both MiSTer and WinUAE to see if it works on both systems and files aren't broken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Storm82
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Storm82 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Maybe thats why the image from my real A1200 didn't work with the Minimig-Core? It is 16 GB

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 07, 2018 9:40 pm

rittwage wrote:This ADF of USA Bubble Bobble worked on my old MiST- I played it all the time. On MiSTer Minimig, it gurus during the boot. I've already verified the kickstart version does not matter, nor the chipset type or memory config.

well.. i didn't use my MiST long time, and to be 100% sure i've fired it up to check.
And this game doesn't work on MiST too!
It's possible that one of earlier Minimig version (may be pre-AGA) was more compatible to this game, but not the current one which were ported to MiSTer.

rittwage
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rittwage » Tue May 08, 2018 12:33 am

Sorgelig wrote:

well.. i didn't use my MiST long time, and to be 100% sure i've fired it up to check.
And this game doesn't work on MiST too!
It's possible that one of earlier Minimig version (may be pre-AGA) was more compatible to this game, but not the current one which were ported to MiSTer.

That could be. It is possible I was using older non-AGA core on the MiST...

I was more concerned originally that my SDRAM may be bad, but it tests fine.

BBond007
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BBond007 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:16 am

rittwage wrote:
That could be. It is possible I was using older non-AGA core on the MiST...

I was more concerned originally that my SDRAM may be bad, but it tests fine.

I have a whdload version that works just fine as far as the first level. I'm not familiar with the game - beyond just remembering the name, so did not get past the first screen as the music was driving me crazy. Not criticising the music, I was using a VR headset just prior, and that music was just not conducive to my VR hangover.

It was a little more challenging to run my ADF versions of the game as my "B" directory for ADF games apparently has too many files to be listed in the minimig menu. It ends with the games that start with "Blood" :(

Anyway, I copied all the Bubble Bobble ADFs to another location and the first few I tried worked fine with KS 3.1/AGA/PAL/020/RAM 24MB.

Most likely your ADF is just bad. Could just be a flaky copy protection.

The actual game even working at all on anything may have been powered by side-effects :)

One of the loader's claimed the original game code (which they fixed) was full of bugs preventing it from running on anything beyond KS 1.3. It mentioned not enough stack space allocated, failing to close file handles, insufficient memory allocations and self-modifying code.

ADFs can also get corrupted by viruses...
Last edited by BBond007 on Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed May 09, 2018 11:56 am

Attachments with game has been removed. Though, for testing purpose it's ok to send files to me in Private Message.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Wed May 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Release 20180509 of MiSTer from today, says:
- Minimig HDD: fixes for high capacity image (>8GB) support.

This seems to affected my setup so that the slave device, which typically is a 1,8GB RDB disk image, now shows up in HDToolBox as "DON'T REPARTITION", and its one 1,8GB partition shows up as unformatted. With release 20180508 of MiSTer (and Minimig 20180509) it works as normal. Is this expected?

EDIT: Ooops, never mind... I was incorrect, the slave device is actually _NOT_ RDB, but MBR, and the partition is FAT32 and mounted using fat95! With 20180508 of MiSTer, it shows up as any other disk image in HDToolBox ("Disk: AYUQEB mAgi/aaHdrrDvis1.00" - or YAQUBE Amiga/HardDrivs 1.00 with endianess "fixed", bet the s should be e), and it "unprepared" as HDToolBox wants me to set it up if I click on it. With 20180509 it seems to perhaps find some RDB, or assume RDB, as it does not ask me to set it up, and it claims there is already a 1,8G DH1 partition set up on it, which is the one that shows up as unformatted. Now I also see that, the first image, where I have OS etc, shows up as "MiSTer mist.hdf 1.00", and no longer "AYUQEB mAgi/aaHdrrDvis1.00". I tried using iso as second device, and that worked fine. I suspect there might be some old RDB stuff left on my image, so I will make a new one.
-- kolla

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm

I will check this issue.
If image has no RDB header, then MiSTer create a virtual RDB for this image.
Actually i gave the time to test before release but it seems mostly ignored. Ok, let's go harder way through fixing the release.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Wed May 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Sorgelig wrote:If image has no RDB header, then MiSTer create a virtual RDB for this image.

Yikes.

I made a completely new disk image using dd on the MiSTer itself, used losetup to attach it to loop0, partitioned it with fdisk, DOS partition table (MBR) and one big primary partition type Win95 FAT32 (type "b" in fdisk), formatted /dev/loop0p1 with mkfs.vfat -F 32, mounted it and copied back all the stuff, umounted, unattached from loopback, loaded minimig core, attached it as slave drive, and seemingly out of nowhere there is now another DH1 partition in the system (DH1.1 actually, since my primary image already has a DH1 partition), which is unformatted. Any attempt to reach the FAT32 partition seems futile.

Actually i gave the time to test before release but it seems mostly ignored.

I am so sorry that I have other things in my life that also require my attention, such as family, friends and a job :p
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Wed May 09, 2018 7:18 pm

I don't think "virtual RDB" is a good thing at all, or at least it should be optional when attaching an image as hard drive. It's not just MBR, people may want to use mac partitioned images with mac emulation, or other types of images to be read directly using other dedicated software.
-- kolla

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed May 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Virtual RDB is not a new thing. It was there since beginning and applied to all non-RDB disks.
And since there in no RDB header exist there will be default names of disks DH0/DH1 depending on drive number.

So what option u've used in older version for FAT images? img or filesys?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Ok. I will remove virtual RDB and let the image mounted as-is, so Amiga drivers will parse MBR.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Virtual RDB is not a new thing. It was there since beginning and applied to all non-RDB disks.
And since there in no RDB header exist there will be default names of disks DH0/DH1 depending on drive number.

That's interesting, I suppose it is not like that on the MiST though?
I jumpstarted my usage of the MiSTer simply by copying over disk images from the MiST, I suppose if I had tried to install from scratch on the MiSTer, I would have noticed earlier :)

So what option u've used in older version for FAT images? img or filesys?

I never used filesys, always disk images. Though I can see how filesys can be practical, since it is common on various UAE.
-- kolla

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm

filesys = virtual RDB header.
So, i think this option is used for headerless images of single Amiga partition.

Anyway, i know how to handle all this.

BBond007
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BBond007 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:39 am

Sorgelig wrote:Anyway, i know how to handle all this.

Yes it seems you do :)

I'm noticing about 20% overall better HDF performance with the 0509 core compared with 0304.

Also I'm not seeing the video glitches which started with the 0407 core.

thanks!

BBond007
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BBond007 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:51 am

kolla wrote:I don't think "virtual RDB" is a good thing at all, or at least it should be optional when attaching an image as hard drive. It's not just MBR, people may want to use mac partitioned images with mac emulation, or other types of images to be read directly using other dedicated software.

So far I've not been able to get Fusion or ShapeShifter to run on MiSTer. Have you had any luck?

Jaydg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Jaydg » Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 am

Hi,
Thanks for a very fun device, the MiSTer!

just started using the mimimig core yesterday. (I'm an old Amiga user)

with minimig 180508 or 180509 and MiSTer 180509 it hang (with Amiga cursor busy clock) during installing of Workbench disks (3.1) on HDF file.
mostly it hang on the system.adf when installing LoadWB or LoadResource, but sometimes it coming further.

but seems to work well with minimig 180407 and MiSTer 180509. With that version the installation always works (same SD card, HDF file, ADF files and mimimig configuration.)

I use floppy disk turbo off but also tested with on.

No error on the console connection.

Jaydg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Jaydg » Thu May 10, 2018 11:21 am

Jaydg wrote:Hi,
Thanks for a very fun device, the MiSTer!

just started using the mimimig core yesterday. (I'm an old Amiga user)

with minimig 180508 or 180509 and MiSTer 180509 it hang (with Amiga cursor busy clock) during installing of Workbench disks (3.1) on HDF file.
mostly it hang on the system.adf when installing LoadWB or LoadResource, but sometimes it coming further.

but seems to work well with minimig 180407 and MiSTer 180509. With that version the installation always works (same SD card, HDF file, ADF files and mimimig configuration.)

I use floppy disk turbo off but also tested with on.

No error on the console connection.

UPDATE:
I now tried to create just a empty file for the hdf file with "fsutil file createnew hd.hdf 33554432". With that "hdf" file I had no problem to install Worbench with minimig 180509...

When I had problem with latest mimimig core I created the empty hdf file (raw or rdb) with Amiga Forever.

Return to “MiSTer”