Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby kolla » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:29 pm

gnasher666 wrote:Hi,

I'm having troubles with Pinball Fantasies

Running from ADF? From HDF? Installed, or via WHDLoad?
-- kolla

gnasher666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gnasher666 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:43 pm

kolla wrote:
gnasher666 wrote:Hi,

I'm having troubles with Pinball Fantasies

Running from ADF? From HDF? Installed, or via WHDLoad?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I get this issue when loading the game via ADF's.

bakkerboy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bakkerboy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:16 pm

I am trying to play xenon 2 megablast from floppy (adf). The game starts up fine, but I cannot get past the welcome title. Is there a special key combo to start the game?

witchmaster
Atari User
Atari User

Postby witchmaster » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:56 am

Hi! (I'm new to MISTer, looking forward to experimenting)

I read from the MISTer wiki (Minimig-AGA_MiSTer) that real Amiga mice and real Amiga joysticks are supported. I can't find any info how to connect these though, anybody here knows?

(I also read that USB gamepads etc are supported so I figured that real digital joysticks can be connected to some I/O pins, I might have misunderstood this though.)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:19 pm

ReadMe hasn't been updated since MiST port.
MiSTer supports only USB input devices.

PhantombrainM
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby PhantombrainM » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:12 pm

I recommend this Adapter:

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

They shipped fast to me.
They are programmable for a dozen of old stuff and it's working perfect with MISTer, Raspi3, PC, Mac... everything yet!

It also supports Amiga mice and many more. See link above.
I use an optical USB Mice for Minimig though but use the adapters for Competition Pro and Sega Gamepads.

regards,
PhantombrainM

P.S.: It's open source. You can also build them yourself. Hereby all the firmwares and schematics: https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/download/
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

witchmaster
Atari User
Atari User

Postby witchmaster » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Thank you PhantombrainM and Sorgelig, much appreciated! :) I have made a simple adapter using Arduino Pro Micro that I will have to try when I get my DE10-Nano.

BBond007
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby BBond007 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:01 am

PhantombrainM wrote:I recommend this Adapter:

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

They shipped fast to me.
They are programmable for a dozen of old stuff and it's working perfect with MISTer, Raspi3, PC, Mac... everything yet!

It also supports Amiga mice and many more. See link above.
I use an optical USB Mice for Minimig though but use the adapters for Competition Pro and Sega Gamepads.

regards,
PhantombrainM

P.S.: It's open source. You can also build them yourself. Hereby all the firmwares and schematics: https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/download/

I just got this adapter which I have tried my Competition Pro and Konix 500 joysticks. For the price, it's great and has 2 ports. Tested it with Golden Axe (2 player) and Amiga Analyzer and it works well.

on the CD32 controller and Boomerang (CD32 upgrade/clone) only 2 buttons function which I expected.

It does not work With Amiga Mice, but I think it could with pin-swap.

I have not tried it with Genesis controllers yet but I do have a 6 button one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRZ1HVS
Last edited by BBond007 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

BBond007
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby BBond007 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 am

oopos

wins04
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby wins04 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:10 am

Maybe you try this goodie.

https://www.vesalia.de/d_keyrahv2.htm

You can plug an Amiga mouse and an Amiga keyboard. This works even with the C64 core.

BBond007
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby BBond007 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:23 am

wins04 wrote:Maybe you try this goodie.

https://www.vesalia.de/d_keyrahv2.htm

You can plug an Amiga mouse and an Amiga keyboard. This works even with the C64 core.

You sure it works for the mouse? I know on the RPi the joystick ports map to keyboard events with my Keyrah v2

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 am

Why someone need adaptor for ancient DB9 ball mouse? This is utterly nonsense today.
Get a normal USB mouse and case is closed.

oldgit
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby oldgit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:27 pm

bakkerboy wrote:I am trying to play xenon 2 megablast from floppy (adf). The game starts up fine, but I cannot get past the welcome title. Is there a special key combo to start the game?

I may be a little late with the reply but:-
If you use the OSD to define the joystick buttons you will be able to get it to work. It would appear that none are set up at the start.
Old enough to remember B&W TV with 2 channels: Young enough to embrace new technology: Stupid enough to try and get it to work.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:12 pm

oldgit wrote:I may be a little late with the reply but:-
If you use the OSD to define the joystick buttons you will be able to get it to work. It would appear that none are set up at the start.

You need to set default buttons in Menu core joystick settings.
Then all cores where joystick is defined will use these default settings which for most cores is enough.

bakkerboy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bakkerboy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:20 pm

oldgit wrote:I may be a little late with the reply but:-

Thanks oldgit! That was exactly the problem. I assumed that there would be a default joystick mapping. But it appears there is none!!. After defining it in the osd, it worked fine. Thanks again for the help.

techniplex
Atarian
Atarian

Postby techniplex » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:36 am

What is the max UART speed for the PPP connection? 115200 is way too slow to be useful if you are trying to download patches or map network drives. Would if be terribly difficult to emulate an a2065 on the DE10 nano from the linux side or or create one FPGA. I am completely new to this but I am willing to learn.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:56 am

115200 is pretty normal top UART speed of that age. Why you expect ethernet speed from UART?
Current implementation is good only for small data like config files change or other text files exchange.
If you want to move big files to/from Amiga then you need to mount its VHD file in either linux or on PC and copy files directly there.
There is no other way to exchange the data now.
You can make floppy disks on PC and use in Minimig - basically it's the same way as above.
Believe me, no one wait for your suggestion what ethernet card to emulate. If someone come with new emulation module then it gets integrated.

techniplex
Atarian
Atarian

Postby techniplex » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:10 pm

I have seen UARTs go up to 921600 but I did not know if the UART on the DE10 would go up that high or maybe 460800 or 230400. I guess I could always try and see what happens. I know that UAE supports bsdsocket.library so if that is available in Mister, samba could be utilized to transfer files back and fourth. I was just trying to get data back and fourth without pulling the SD card copying data and restarting the DE10 to find out I need another file and it doesn't fit on an 800K floppy. What you have done is really great, and has gotten me back to my old days of computing. I guess I had really forgotten how slow dialup was back in the day with the 300 baud modems and BBS systems I grew up on.

Please keep up the good work.

BBond007
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby BBond007 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 am

techniplex wrote:I have seen UARTs go up to 921600 but I did not know if the UART on the DE10 would go up that high or maybe 460800 or 230400. I guess I could always try and see what happens. I know that UAE supports bsdsocket.library so if that is available in Mister, samba could be utilized to transfer files back and fourth. I was just trying to get data back and fourth without pulling the SD card copying data and restarting the DE10 to find out I need another file and it doesn't fit on an 800K floppy. What you have done is really great, and has gotten me back to my old days of computing. I guess I had really forgotten how slow dialup was back in the day with the 300 baud modems and BBS systems I grew up on.

Please keep up the good work.

I agree that Sneakernetting with MicroSD cards is tedious and will probably prematurely wear out your SD Socket.

There is no MiSTer equivalent to UAE's bsdsocket.library which is more or less an API wrapper for Windows sockets as UAE runs as a Windows process. That would be nice though :)

You need to use AmiTCP, Miami or RoadShow TCP/IP stacks with have their own respective bsdsocket.library implementations. I use RoadShow.

Anyway, regardless of type/speed of connection, Samba is probably not going to be ideal because the compiled c codebase is really huge to be running on a 020 CPU. I have Samba installed on my A1200/060 and its quite sluggish and sometimes freezes or gurus the A1200. The latest port of Samba to the Amiga is rather old so I also recall having authentication problems with newer Windows, but can't remember the specifics.

I would suggest just using a FTP Client. There also exists some Amiga file system handlers that make FTP servers appear as network drives.

I sent a bunch 50mb+ HAM video files to my MiSTer. Initially I FTP'd the files to the MiSTer's "fat" mount folder then I pulled them with a FTP client from the Amiga side. Took a while at 115200 bps but did complete without issue. I was listening to some MOD files while downloading.

For the most part I have my Aweb home page pointed to http://www.aminet.net and just search and grab things as needed. Typically I just need a library or something like that. 115200 is perfect for that...

I don't think any real Amiga could actually reliably do 115200 bps without a Zorro card or clockport upgraded serial port. They probably can't reliably go over 38400. DOS/Windows PC's needed upgraded 16550 UARTS which contained a FIFO buffer to achieve that speed. I know this because I had a ISDN BitSurfer Modem back in the day that could go 128000 bps...

Just to improve your current process 200%, you can use HD (1.7mb) ADF's :)
Last edited by BBond007 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

BBond007
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby BBond007 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 am

Sorgelig wrote:Why someone need adaptor for ancient DB9 ball mouse? This is utterly nonsense today.
Get a normal USB mouse and case is closed.

I do have a few Amiga DB9 mice that have been upgraded to optical or laser :)

I agree though. I really got the adapter to use with the joysticks(not mice). I'm sure the adapter PhantombrainMlike suggested is better, but this one is dual-port and cheaper...

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm

you can modify linux/ppp_options file and write a higher speed there, then use same speed on Amiga side.
You need to re-load the core to apply ppp_options

yarko
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yarko » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi
Something wrong with Minimig cores after Minimig_20180304.rbf relase:
I have vibrating screen on some games.
Here Dynablaster (WHDload) runs Minimig_20180509.rbf CPU 68020 AGA 2MB Chip 24MB Fast Kick 3.1 :
https://youtu.be/rIXnADwMIeI
The same with Shadows of the Beast and few others whdloads games.

But with A500 mode - kick 1.3 68000 OCS 1MB Chip stable Minimig_20180304.rbf core has similar issue with some games i.e. Super Frog loaded from ADF

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Try enabling vsync_adjust=1 in MiSTer.ini and restart your system. Works for me. Sadly not all hdmi input support it, however.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:54 pm

NegSol wrote:Try enabling vsync_adjust=1 in MiSTer.ini and restart your system. Works for me. Sadly not all hdmi input support it, however.

Just to add to NegSol's suggestion. Try adding the following setting to your MiSTer.ini to make NegSol's update but only to Amiga core.

Leave vsync_adjust=0 if you don't want all cores affected and add the below to MiSTer.ini

[Minimig]
vsync_adjust=1
Last edited by NML32 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yarko
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yarko » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:42 pm

it does not help me :?

Return to “MiSTer”