https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Xyla
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

No Atari ST core?

Postby Xyla » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:41 am

I'm really confused...

There seems to be no Atari ST core mentioned anywhere for MiSTer...

So why is it called MiSTer then?

bernouilli
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: No Atari ST core?

Postby bernouilli » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:54 am

It a "better" MiST. That's for the name. As the MiST was named si because of "Mini ST".
MiSTer is related to MiST not to ST.
ST can be ported to MiSTer, all it needs is some developer willing to port it to MiSTer.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:42 am

bernouilli wrote:As the MiST was named si because of "Mini ST".

I believe Mi in MiST comes from Amiga, that is... Mig, as in MiniMig. :)
-- kolla

bernouilli

Postby bernouilli » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 am

kolla wrote:
bernouilli wrote:As the MiST was named si because of "Mini ST".

I believe Mi in MiST comes from Amiga, that is... Mig, as in MiniMig. :)

That's the second explanation, after the minimig core got ported to MiST. But MiST was first built to implement an ST Core.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:47 pm

bernouilli wrote:That's the second explanation, after the minimig core got ported to MiST. But MiST was first built to implement an ST Core.

Yes, that does make sense :)
-- kolla

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:04 pm

The creator of the MiSTer has said in multiple occassions that he has no interest in the ST because he considers it a bad system so there is very little likelihood that the ST core will be ported over.
Now, why Sorgelig decided to use an Atari ST forum for MiSTer is a bit of a mystery. I wouldn't use an amiga forum for my programming for example. It would defeat the purpose.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

bernouilli

Postby bernouilli » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:13 pm

christos wrote:The creator of the MiSTer has said in multiple occassions that he has no interest in the ST because he considers it a bad system so there is very little likelihood that the ST core will be ported over.
Now, why Sorgelig decided to use an Atari ST forum for MiSTer is a bit of a mystery. I wouldn't use an amiga forum for my programming for example. It would defeat the purpose.

The ST core can be ported by anybody who knows FPGA programming and knows about ST. It's not mandatory that Sorgelig does the job.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:16 pm

christos wrote:Now, why Sorgelig decided to use an Atari ST forum for MiSTer is a bit of a mystery. I wouldn't use an amiga forum for my programming for example. It would defeat the purpose.

Because the MiSTer itself is a port of MiST firmware, how could he know that there would be no interest in porting the ST core?

Btw - while the Minimig core on the MiST went through several updates, the ST core just stayed the same. Clearly there is just a lack of interest and/or knowledge for FPGA systems in the Atari community in general. Which is a shame, it would be great with more functional ST cores for MiST and MiSTer alike.
-- kolla

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:19 pm

MiSTer is open source system. Take ST core and port it. Everyone is welcome to help. You still didn't port ST? Then you don't like ST as well ;)
This is my hobby and i'm doing what ever i like to do. Not what others want.

AlexSTE
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AlexSTE » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Sorgelig wrote:MiSTer is open source system. Take ST core and port it. Everyone is welcome to help. You still didn't port ST? Then you don't like ST as well ;)
This is my hobby and i'm doing what ever i like to do. Not what others want.

Awesome job on MiSTer, I am just about to try it. And it's open source which is great.
I would not worry about complainers. It seems in Atari world no matter what you do people will complain.
[b] I am looking for: Atari TT030. Panther2 board, Magnum TTram board[/b]
Currently have: Atari 1040 STF, Atari 1040 STE Ultrasatan, MonSTEr board, Scart with HD to HDMI converter, IDE to CF, IDE DVD in external enclosure. 5 IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. HP Chromebook. Custom AMD race SIM rig. Custom AMD Hackintosh. Apple Powermac G5 2x2.7GHz watercooled PPC.

Xyla
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Xyla » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Ok, next question:

Is anyone currently working on porting the ST core or planning to start soon?

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:42 am

The creator of the MiSTer has said in multiple occassions that he has no interest in the ST because he considers it a bad system so there is very little likelihood that the ST core will be ported over.

So why is there a section for MiSTer on this Atari 16/32 bit forum then?? :shrug:
Especially as it's under FPGA-clones, but ... there is no 16-bit Atari core for it so it's not an Atari clone and seemingly never will be?

I'd be inclined to overlook it if it wasn't for the fact the author alledgedly considers the ST a "bad system" 8O which makes it two for two in my book and thus it has no place here surely? :shrug:
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 am

There are other Atari cores, but not an ST core. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer
That's why the FPGA stuff was moved to separate forum sections. Avoid if not interested. MiSTer has the potential to host an ST core one day if someone wants to do the work. :wink:

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ex68k » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 pm

EmpireAndrew wrote:[
So why is there a section for MiSTer on this Atari 16/32 bit forum then?? :shrug:
Especially as it's under FPGA-clones, but ... there is no 16-bit Atari core for it so it's not an Atari clone and seemingly never will be?

Never say never ;-)

Some people are just focusing on the cpu first, then the st-chips will follow ..

Return to “MiSTer”