Update 2018/02/25 (added core source info)
* Terasic DE0-Nano-SoC or DE0-Atlas-SoC (Cyclone V FPGA only)
* requires custom IO board (different from DE10 MiSTer IO board)
* most of the cores work either directly on VGA or SCART (requires HW mod for CSYNC).
* some big cores can not fit (for example ao486 and x68000)
Custom IO Board: latest version 0.2d
* Unfortunately due to the different dimensions of the DE0ns board the the official MiSTer DE10 add-on board can not be used. You can use this board instead:
* The build instruction for the IO board are similar as the official IO board build instructions, just use the gerber files for de0ns board provided on the link above.
* no TOS link on the custom IO board
Cores and Linux SD card image:
* Official cores for DE10 do not work on DE0ns board, you have to either recompile your own from the sources, or use precompiled ones - see bellow.
* The cores stored on a Micro SD card image can be found here:
* The image contains the whole MiSTer system (recent partition layout) with EXFAT partition where the cores are already installed.
* No ROM files are present on the Micro SD card image, you have to use your own. See individual cores repositories on MiSTer github for more information.
* Requires 8 GB Micro SD card or bigger
Installation is the same as installation of RPi and other SBC micro SD card images.
Warning: installation will erase all contents of the Micro SD card, so make a backup if you need the files stored there.
Code: Select all
sudo dd if=MiSTer_cores_de0ns_r2.bin of=/dev/mmcblkX bs=4k
Decompresses the image and copies it on the memory card. Use 'lsblk' command to check which device is your MicroSD card. Also make sure to unmount the target device before copying the image on the Micro SD card (if it already contains some partitions).
Unzip the .zip archive and then use win32diskImager
or Etcher program
to save the image to your micro SD card.
* After installation, insert the Micro SD card into DE0ns board (not to the IO board) and power it up. The MiSTer menu should appear on the connected VGA display.
Core changes specific to DE0ns port
I made forks of 2 MiSTer cores source code as an example of changes required for de0ns core port. Changes in all other cores have the same pattern so use these as template.
These forks have a new branch called 'de0ns' which contains the changes.
----- original post -----
MISTer looks like a very interesting project. I found out I still have my DE0-nano board laying around unused. I was wondering whether / how hard would it be to port MISTer from DE10-nano to DE0-nano? I'm aware that the FPGA in DE0-nano has 'only' 40k of LEs, so won't be able to run all cores, but in general the board layout and header location seems quite similar (if not identical, didn't do thorough check). Also there is the dual core ARM HPS on the board and a USB port. HDMI chip and connector is missing, but I guess that is resolved by one of the add-on boards with VGA out. BTW. DE0-nano is $30 cheaper than DE10-nano ATM, so it might be an interesting option...