https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MinPin
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby MinPin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Hi

I bought these controllers. They were $10 each on special at an online store. They work very well on MiSTer.

Imagepicture url

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:03 pm

MinPin wrote:Hi

I bought these controllers. They were $10 each on special at an online store. They work very well on MiSTer.

Imagepicture url

Interesting joystick. SNES+Genesis layout mix. Is there a link for this?
Nevermind, i've found it on ebay. Quite expensive.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Pushed the changes to Main with another way to merge the devices, not using serial number. Hope it will be more consistent.

paulbnl
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby paulbnl » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Pushed the changes to Main with another way to merge the devices, not using serial number. Hope it will be more consistent.

Great job. It works well with a 2-player Raphnet adapter.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:48 am

warham wrote:5 usb ports and two hdmi to usb ports that will accept original controllers input if you have the specific controller to hdmi adapter, LLAPI support, power switch.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I think I'll stick with my cheap 4 ports USB2 hub :D
crocky wrote:The encoder itself is around $5 to $10 like Sorg said. Also since MickGyver wrote the code on this encoder it would be easy for you to follow it. If you have any coding experience then you might want to port it to other encoders, but that would seem extra work for little return.

I found a spare encoder in a drawer. It's a 2 players, I tried it and it works... But it works for 1P only !
That's because the MiSTer joystick mapping system is made for 1P only I guess. I mean, it only asks to press for 1P buttons, otherwise I guess it could work.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pm

luke79 wrote:I found a spare encoder in a drawer. It's a 2 players, I tried it and it works... But it works for 1P only !
That's because the MiSTer joystick mapping system is made for 1P only I guess. I mean, it only asks to press for 1P buttons, otherwise I guess it could work.

it works with 2 players on cores where 2 players play at the same time. 99% of arcades are single play arcades with player swap, so both joysticks work as 1P on such arcades.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
luke79 wrote:I found a spare encoder in a drawer. It's a 2 players, I tried it and it works... But it works for 1P only !

it works with 2 players on cores where 2 players play at the same time. 99% of arcades are single play arcades with player swap, so both joysticks work as 1P on such arcades.

oh.. ok, but how can I map the 2nd player inputs if the joystick configuration only asks for one set of commands per VID:PID id ?

werpu
Atariator
Atariator

Postby werpu » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:14 pm

luke79 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:

oh.. ok, but how can I map the 2nd player inputs if the joystick configuration only asks for one set of commands per VID:PID id ?

I have the same problem with a custom controller. Any ideas?

zomgugoff
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby zomgugoff » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:35 am

MinPin wrote:Hi

Imagepicture url

Reminds me of the PDP Versus pads for PS3/360. The directional control actually 4 micro switches, so it more like a Neo Geo controller.

PDP-Versus-Controller-Fight-Pad-Street-Fighter-Fighting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am

luke79 wrote:oh.. ok, but how can I map the 2nd player inputs if the joystick configuration only asks for one set of commands per VID:PID id ?

All controllers with the same VID:PID share the same config.
It has no relation to amount of players.
I suggest you to study the wiki.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
luke79 wrote:oh.. ok, but how can I map the 2nd player inputs if the joystick configuration only asks for one set of commands per VID:PID id ?

All controllers with the same VID:PID share the same config.
It has no relation to amount of players.
I suggest you to study the wiki.

Hi Sorgelig, picture 2 gamepads connected to the MiSTer with only 1 USB cable. One USB for at least 24 basic inputs (U,D,L,R,A,B,X,Y,L,R,SEL,STA), 12 for 1P and 12 for 2P.
How can you map them all if the joystick configuration only asks for one set of basic inputs, ie. for one gamepad only ?

In RetroPie for example, during the gamepad setup, it asks to push the buttons for P1 and then for P2, so, with one encoder, I can connect 2 gamepads.

Please forgive my english, I'm trying to explain the best I can ! :angel:

Edit : the encoder is one of thins kind

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Xinmo adapter is known as awkward adapter, it uses ONE device for 2 gamepads. This is not compatible with MiSTer. I've heard there are some hack for linux kernel to split it to 2 independent devices - i didn't try as i have no this crappy adapter.
Arduino Micro can do a better job being much cheaper.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 pm

However it works very well for one player.

A pity mister can't map 2 commands sets, one per player, for one USB device.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:21 am

luke79 wrote:However it works very well for one player.

A pity mister can't map 2 commands sets, one per player, for one USB device.

it's a pity manufacturer cannot invest his money to develop correct USB adapter.
Enthusiasts doing similar converter for free.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:04 pm

Am I the only one thinking that one usb adapter for 2 controllers, instead of 2 identical adapters, is actually an advantage?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the manufacturer invests money to develop a correct adapter (I'm not qualified enough to understand, just taking your words) or if enthusiasts could do the job, I'm talking about a 2 controllers adapter, it still wouldn't work because Mister maps one set of commands per USB controller only.

So, wouldn't it be interesting to modify this behavior ?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:36 pm

You are totally wrong.
One physical USB device can represent many virtual input devices. It's up to firmware.

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:24 pm

luke79 wrote:I'm talking about a 2 controllers adapter, it still wouldn't work because Mister maps one set of commands per USB controller only.

As Sorgelig has said MiSTer saves the buttons per VID&PID so you only have to map 1 controller. I am using a 2 controller Raphnet adapter and it works fine. Depending on which controller is used first that one is player 1, the next one is player 2 etc.

The problem with your controller adapter is that the Linux kernel sees it as 1 controller.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:29 pm

paulbnl wrote:
luke79 wrote:I'm talking about a 2 controllers adapter, it still wouldn't work because Mister maps one set of commands per USB controller only.

As Sorgelig has said MiSTer saves the buttons per VID&PID so you only have to map 1 controller. I am using a 2 controller Raphnet adapter and it works fine. Depending on which controller is used first that one is player 1, the next one is player 2 etc.

The problem with your controller adapter is that the Linux kernel sees it as 1 controller.

It's not that Linux sees it as single gamepad. It's because manufacturer went non-standard way by providing only one controller with buttons split between 2 gamepads "on paper". Basically it's just single gamepad with many buttons. Same way you can say "oh, it's 4 gamepads adapter" and wire 4 gamepads. But Linux won't know this as this division is only in developer's head.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Ok, it's clear now, if xinmo had worked properly the adapter should declare 2 input devices, instead of just a huge bunch of buttons, and MiSTer would ask to map 2 controllers, right?
Now I know, thanks !

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:38 pm

luke79 wrote:Ok, it's clear now, if xinmo had worked properly the adapter should declare 2 input devices, instead of just a huge bunch of buttons

yes.

luke79 wrote:and MiSTer would ask to map 2 controllers, right?

MiSTer asks the map per controller model. Same controllers will share the same map. However MiSTer works fine with several same controllers. You can use several DualShock 4 gamepads at the same time, but you need to define the buttons only once.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
luke79 wrote:and MiSTer would ask to map 2 controllers, right?

MiSTer asks the map per controller model. Same controllers will share the same map. However MiSTer works fine with several same controllers. You can use several DualShock 4 gamepads at the same time, but you need to define the buttons only once.

It make sense 8)

jrronimo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jrronimo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:50 pm

In case anyone's looking for an alternate option to connect Wii-connector controllers, I bought this Elecom Gamepad Adapter with some spare Amazon Bux and it's working great for NES and SNES Classic controllers. I'm thinking of buying a second one as it's been trouble-free so far.

redsteakraw
Atari User
Atari User

Postby redsteakraw » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Does anyone have the 2600 Daptor D9 or similar adapter? The website is claiming to support 1ms polling by default and the adapter can use the paddle controllers and sega 6-button controllers as well as most db-9 controllers from computers to consoles. I am interested in the product just wondering if anyone here has put it through it's paces or would recommend.

http://www.2600-daptor.com/index.htm

http://www.2600-daptor.com/2600-daptor%20D9.htm

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:12 pm

for paddles, the best adapter is mr.Spinner:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Retro-C ... rollersUSB

redsteakraw
Atari User
Atari User

Postby redsteakraw » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Sorgelig wrote:for paddles, the best adapter is mr.Spinner:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Retro-C ... rollersUSB

Interesting project, this seems to be a sub-project of an open source game controller project. The Daptor has an auto sensing mode allowing a swap between paddle or genesis 6 button and the firmware would switch the mode, would this eventually be possible with the project? I love that the Mr. spinner project has compatibility with the driving controller(albeit that controller only works with one game) I am thinking about just having an arcade stick enclosure with my MiSTer inside with a DB-9 port on either side for the spinners. this looks like a great fit.

Return to “MiSTer”