https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby djmartins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:05 am

Newsdee wrote:There is an official USB hub board :D

I have one and it solved my USB hub problems...

Atmosfear
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Atmosfear » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:41 pm

After todays Update my 2 orange 8bitdo Receivers (Latest Firmware) with Xbox One Controllers dont reconnect after pressing Reset Button/Cold Reboot. I have to Power off/on the FPGA and sometimes the Controller did connect after 10 Seconds !!!! In the Past the Controller was nearly Instandly connected and had no problems with Reset Button/Cold Reboot. Using a powered official USB hub board. Any Ideas ? :shrug:

gosufailure
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gosufailure » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Today I tried two different Madcatz PS3 joysticks and was unable to get either of them to detect any buttons or joystick movement in the joystick configuration menu in the main core.

I have another Madcatz TE PS3 joystick that is detected and works as expected. I've also got a 360 TE stick that only the home, start and select buttons are detected on. Last I recall these sticks all work fine on other devices, but it's been a while.

Are there any known issues with these sticks on MiSTer? Or, ways I can go about debugging?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm

gosufailure wrote:Are there any known issues with these sticks on MiSTer? Or, ways I can go about debugging?

Use this:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... connection

When you run the main menu, joystick events will be printed out to serial console.

trashuncle
Atari User
Atari User

Postby trashuncle » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 pm

Tested the Mayflash MEGADRIVE USB adapter (X-Input mode) last night, through HDMI on my LG set, Display mode 3 (Low Latency). Using my original 6 button controller from the 90s with the Manual Lag Test provided in 240p Test Suite, had all 0 presses, no frames of Lag!

I am so impressed with everything people are doing to get the latency down to zero. The MiSTer super console!

jimbobuk
Atarian
Atarian

Using an X-Arcade Tri-Mode Joystick with MiSTer for 2 Player arcade cores

Postby jimbobuk » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi,

Firstly thanks to everyone and anyone who's involved in the MiSTer project or any of the cores on the machine, its genuinely an amazing achievement that continues to get better by the day seemingly!

I've been trying to get my MiSTer working properly and have recently replaced the original stock PCB in my first gen 2 player X-Arcade joystick with this Tri-Mode PCB

https://support.xgaming.com/support/sol ... i-mode-pcb

It now works out of the box with MiSTer and is really great (previously it only worked via PS2 keyboard mappings!). They recommend using X-Input in general with that hardware if you can and this works well. The feature of this PCB is that it treats each joystick and button sets on the joystick as an independent controller which makes things work really nicely on cores that expect multiple input devices such as computers and consoles. With arcade cores however it makes it difficult for me to work with 2 player configs as the input mapper for any core seems to grab the joystick device first used and won't register any other input devices for any remaining inputs. This means that when I configure player one with the first joystick I am then unable to configure any player 2 inputs as they are on a different physical controller that MiSTer is seemingly blocking switching to.

I wondered if there were any options I could set which would allow the controller to change whilst mapping inputs in a core to let me do player 1 and player 2 mapped to two different controllers (which in this case are on a single piece of arcade style hardware).

Beyond that I wondered if anyone else was working with similar hardware and had any suggestions. I wasn't sure if after setting up player 1 I could perhaps do the 2nd player inputs by setting some alternative inputs and skipping all the player 1 inputs and then using the 2 player controls when coming round to setting the 2nd player buttons. Could work but could be quite fiddly to setup initially.

Beyond this the X-Arcade can work as a keyboard for each button, but the default mapping using space (and perhaps other clashing keys) means that it starts to take the buttons into the control mapping and away from being able to operate the standard button input operations such as space to skip an input etc. I wondered if anyone knew of any good free keys to use for each key on my joystick so that it won't clash with any core MiSTer key mappings.

Basically just wanting to know what the best approach is for getting 2 player working in Arcade cores given these hardware and MiSTer constraints?

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Jim

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Everyone,

I am trying to get the 8bitdo SN3- pro to work with my mister but I'm confused as how to get this to work so here are my questions:
1. Does the Mister DE-10 Nano have built-in bluetooth or do I have to buy an 8bitdo wireless receiver?
2. Do I need to install additional scripts to sync my 8bit SN30 Pro to work with the Mister?

Thanks.

hernan43
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hernan43 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 pm

MiSTer doesn't have built in BT so you have to at least buy a USB BT dongle of some kind. In my specific case I have had all kinds of trouble with my BT dongle and the 8bitdo controllers. So I did end up buying an 8bitdo dongle and use that. It seems to work well.

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:54 pm

hernan43 wrote:MiSTer doesn't have built in BT so you have to at least buy a USB BT dongle of some kind. In my specific case I have had all kinds of trouble with my BT dongle and the 8bitdo controllers. So I did end up buying an 8bitdo dongle and use that. It seems to work well.

I have a couple of different bluetooth adapter that I previously used for my PC so I'm going to try those before buying a 8bitdo USB adapter. Do I need to install drivers for my BT dongle? If so where can I get some instructions? Thanks in advance.

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 am

I was able to pair my 8bit SN30 pro with Mister, but everytime I reset my Mister I have to pair the Sn30 pro again. is this normal behavior?

hernan43
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hernan43 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:41 am

I experienced that or worse. Switching to the 8bitdo dongle seemed to make my issues go away.

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:11 pm

hernan43 wrote:I experienced that or worse. Switching to the 8bitdo dongle seemed to make my issues go away.

I see man 8bit dongle available. Can you recommend me the dongle that you are using?

hernan43
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hernan43 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:14 pm

I think they are all mostly the same. I happened to have the NES one because I was using it with an NES at the time. You can plug in a USB cable and use it as a dongle. Which is how I use it. But I do think any of them will work.

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:35 pm

hernan43 wrote:I think they are all mostly the same. I happened to have the NES one because I was using it with an NES at the time. You can plug in a USB cable and use it as a dongle. Which is how I use it. But I do think any of them will work.

I narrowed it down to the 2 USB versions that looks like a brick. I was curious what's the difference was between the gray one and the brown one but I was able to get an answer. I went ahead and got the gray one which is the ps1 classic addition but should work for Mister as well, I hope. Thanks for your help.

Peredonov
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Peredonov » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:15 pm

I'd really appreciate some clarification about using a PS4 DualShock 4 controller wired with the MiSTer. The wiki page on input devices lists the Sony DS4 wired as one of the recommended fast input devices (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ut-Devices), but the bottom section also lists it along with PS3 and Xbox360/One controllers as problematic due to event flooding. Does that only apply to the PS4 controller when used in wireless mode without an appropriate receiver that filters the unnecessary events, or also when wired via USB cable?

I only have PS4 and a PS3 controllers available for USB connection at this time, which I've been using wired without issues for software emulators, so if I could use one of them wired with the MiSTer it would let me avoid having to buy an additional controller or receiver.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:59 pm

There are 2 floods from DualShock:
1) accelerometer/gyro sensor
2) events from analog sticks even if they are not touched.

so, 1 is filtered at early stage so it's not a problem. with 2 there is some problem as it cannot be filtered but it's minimizing by ignoring events near default position. my DS3 gamepads produce a lot of noise (2) while DS4 have no such problem. May be it's related to age of your gamepad.

Peredonov
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Peredonov » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:11 am

Yes it could be that analog sticks that are too worn can sag and sway a little more, generating events. Thank you Sorgelig for the response and information. I will avoid using the DS3 and only use DS4 then.

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:55 am

I got the 8bitdo gray USB adapter and a 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller. Everytime I power off my Mister I have to pair the controller again. is this normal behavior?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:51 am

kublai wrote:I got the 8bitdo gray USB adapter and a 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller. Everytime I power off my Mister I have to pair the controller again. is this normal behavior?

no. once paired it will auto-connect later.
however IIRC gamepad may stuck in connecting mode if receiver quickly turned off/on. So you just need to turn gamepad off then on.

kublai
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kublai » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
kublai wrote:I got the 8bitdo gray USB adapter and a 8bitdo SN30 Pro controller. Everytime I power off my Mister I have to pair the controller again. is this normal behavior?

no. once paired it will auto-connect later.
however IIRC gamepad may stuck in connecting mode if receiver quickly turned off/on. So you just need to turn gamepad off then on.

Thanks very much for info. My gamepad might be defective as I'm getting the same behavior with a CSR v4 BT USB as well.

MinPin
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MinPin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi

I want to buy a wireless controller for my MiSTer. I'm looking at the MSI: Force GC30 Wireless Gaming Controller.
https://www.msi.com/gaming-gear/force-gc30.html
Will it work on MiSTer?

Thanks

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:27 pm

There's no way to guarantee that unless you try it. But based on the supported device list, it seems likely that it will work.

Any device that uses USB HID will work with MiSTer.

drj3rk
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Using an X-Arcade Tri-Mode Joystick with MiSTer for 2 Player arcade cores

Postby drj3rk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:12 pm

jimbobuk wrote:Hi,

Firstly thanks to everyone and anyone who's involved in the MiSTer project or any of the cores on the machine, its genuinely an amazing achievement that continues to get better by the day seemingly!

I've been trying to get my MiSTer working properly and have recently replaced the original stock PCB in my first gen 2 player X-Arcade joystick with this Tri-Mode PCB

https://support.xgaming.com/support/sol ... i-mode-pcb

It now works out of the box with MiSTer and is really great (previously it only worked via PS2 keyboard mappings!). They recommend using X-Input in general with that hardware if you can and this works well. The feature of this PCB is that it treats each joystick and button sets on the joystick as an independent controller which makes things work really nicely on cores that expect multiple input devices such as computers and consoles. With arcade cores however it makes it difficult for me to work with 2 player configs as the input mapper for any core seems to grab the joystick device first used and won't register any other input devices for any remaining inputs. This means that when I configure player one with the first joystick I am then unable to configure any player 2 inputs as they are on a different physical controller that MiSTer is seemingly blocking switching to.

I wondered if there were any options I could set which would allow the controller to change whilst mapping inputs in a core to let me do player 1 and player 2 mapped to two different controllers (which in this case are on a single piece of arcade style hardware).

Beyond that I wondered if anyone else was working with similar hardware and had any suggestions. I wasn't sure if after setting up player 1 I could perhaps do the 2nd player inputs by setting some alternative inputs and skipping all the player 1 inputs and then using the 2 player controls when coming round to setting the 2nd player buttons. Could work but could be quite fiddly to setup initially.

Beyond this the X-Arcade can work as a keyboard for each button, but the default mapping using space (and perhaps other clashing keys) means that it starts to take the buttons into the control mapping and away from being able to operate the standard button input operations such as space to skip an input etc. I wondered if anyone knew of any good free keys to use for each key on my joystick so that it won't clash with any core MiSTer key mappings.

Basically just wanting to know what the best approach is for getting 2 player working in Arcade cores given these hardware and MiSTer constraints?

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Jim

I just ordered one of these boards myself, as I'm still running the old KB-based version, with PS2+XB adapters, which is just silly at this point. :mrgreen: Once it arrives, I'll swap it in, do a bit of testing, and report back.

andrewwong2000
Atarian
Atarian

Mister Input - 1 USB Keyboard -> 2 Players ?

Postby andrewwong2000 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:48 am

Hi,

I've had a search but can't seem to find the answer to this one.

Am trying to use my old Ultimarc iPAC2 controller (can't emulate 2 gamepads) and going through controller setup, Mister sees the USB ID for the one keyboard.

So although P1 setup works great, when I try to recognise the P2 buttons I get stuck.

Apart from upgrading my iPAC2 or adding a 2nd USB encoder for P2, is there a way of emulating 2 gamepads via 1 keyboard ID via the software ?
CAM / 3D Designer & Fabricator - Electronic Engineer
MisterFPGA stuff at http://caminventions.com

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:35 am

andrewwong2000 wrote:Apart from upgrading my iPAC2 or adding a 2nd USB encoder for P2, is there a way of emulating 2 gamepads via 1 keyboard ID via the software ?

This mode is not supported. Although some arcades have predefined keys for second player on the same keyboard - i don't know if it's iPAC2 or not.

Return to “MiSTer”