Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

whiskeyrunnerone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby whiskeyrunnerone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Got a new video out showing the MiSTer and the Bliss Box working together. I used an OEM Sega Genesis controller to play Vectorman! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkSBaPWzVYc&t=401s

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:21 pm

@whiskeyrunnerone

Did you test the Bliss-Box with DB9-Adapters by any chance? I got it running with the latest Bliss-Box Firmware and it works great for C64 and Atari-ST Core (FXCAST). It has some issues with Minimig, though. Mapping appears to work fine, but Joystick always goes downward after loading a game. Don't know what is going on. Would be interesting to see your results.

whiskeyrunnerone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby whiskeyrunnerone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:34 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:@whiskeyrunnerone

Did you test the Bliss-Box with DB9-Adapters by any chance? I got it running with the latest Bliss-Box Firmware and it works great for C64 and Atari-ST Core (FXCAST). It has some issues with Minimig, though. Mapping appears to work fine, but Joystick always goes downward after loading a game. Don't know what is going on. Would be interesting to see your results.

I indeed did test with the db9 adapter. I also got my clicky Neo Geo controllers to work with the DB15 adapter. I have not upgraded the firmware on the Bliss Box yet. Did you notice better compatibility after the firmware upgrade? I would be happy to test the Minimig with the current firmware that's on it (what ever firmware came preloaded) and see what results I'm getting. I honestly think that after the bugs are worked out that the Bliss Box is going to be the best for getting that nostalgic experience.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:26 pm

I guess I only updated to be able to use their GUI-Tool in Windows. This is only compatible with Firmware 2.x and the Bliss-boxes ship with 1.5x
GUI-Tool really helps understanding when something does not work as expected. Updating the firmware was a pain, though. I had trouble with Windows 10 and their flashing tool.
Would be great if you could test with minimig!

whiskeyrunnerone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby whiskeyrunnerone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:I guess I only updated to be able to use their GUI-Tool in Windows. This is only compatible with Firmware 2.x and the Bliss-boxes ship with 1.5x
GUI-Tool really helps understanding when something does not work as expected. Updating the firmware was a pain, though. I had trouble with Windows 10 and their flashing tool.
Would be great if you could test with minimig!

I'll give Minimig a go tonight. I'm gonna take a look at the change log for firmware and if there is bug fixes, I might upgrade. if not I'll probably just stay at 1.5 because the GUI-tool wont be helpful to me with the DE10 nano. :cheers:

whiskeyrunnerone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby whiskeyrunnerone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:29 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:@whiskeyrunnerone

Got a chance to do some testing last night. I was able to play a couple games on Minimig using the Bliss Box and db9 adapter with an OEM Sega genesis controller. Everything seemed to play nicely. The controller mapped correctly the first time and I never got any weird issues like joysticks wondering. I did notice one time that when I rebooted the DE10 that the controller became unresponsive. I unplugged the USB cable from the USB hub to try to reset the Bliss Box, that did not solve I Unplugging the db9 pigtail from the bliss Box and replugged and that solved the issue. I've Never played 5th Gear before so chalk that one up.

bedfellow
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bedfellow » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Does anyone know whether the original Xbox controller, with appropriate adapter cable, will work on MiSTer? I know that it works on Windows using XBCD driver.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:27 am

Tested Robotron today with:

switch pro controller and xbox one controller one at a time.
with 8bitdo receiver both controllers work well.

Tested wireless xbox360 controller with MS 360 dongle.
Right stick is not recognized. x pad and left stick are recognized.
Will try xbox 360 again using with mayflash magic ns receiver instead of MS dongle when it arrives.
Last edited by warham on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:54 am

xbox controller is not xbox360 or xbone controller.
I didn't see any reports about xbox controller compatibility.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:56 am

Sorgelig wrote:xbox controller is not xbox360 or xbone controller.
I didn't see any reports about xbox controller compatibility.

old school xbox controller works with USB adapter in the mister GUI.

bedfellow
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bedfellow » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:58 pm

bedfellow wrote:Does anyone know whether the original Xbox controller, with appropriate adapter cable, will work on MiSTer? I know that it works on Windows using XBCD driver.

I've answered my own question, the Xbox controller does not work on MiSTer with the adapter cable.

HappyBirthday
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby HappyBirthday » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 pm

ewok wrote:
Newsdee wrote:Using an 8bitdo receiver is the easiest way. There is no bluetooth support as far as I know.

Hi,

I like to use 2 8bitdo wireless USB receivers. Unfortunately only one works. When I try a second one it doesn't work. When I connect the second 8bitdo joystick with usb cable to MISTer, the second one works. Any idea?

Thanks for help.

Has anyone figured out how to use two wireless 8bitdo controllers? This sounds like a pretty awesome setup if anyone can figure it out.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:45 pm

HappyBirthday wrote:Has anyone figured out how to use two wireless 8bitdo controllers? This sounds like a pretty awesome setup if anyone can figure it out.

I use 2 8bitdo receivers with their gamepads. Don't see any problem.

20190103_054642.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ewok
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ewok » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:55 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
HappyBirthday wrote:Has anyone figured out how to use two wireless 8bitdo controllers? This sounds like a pretty awesome setup if anyone can figure it out.

I use 2 8bitdo receivers with their gamepads. Don't see any problem.

20190103_054642.jpg

Yes, this works perfect. I could not get it to work a couple of months ago though. Using a third joystick (Atari 2600 compatible with converter) does however interfere with the dongles. This is a pity, because is works for a while and then I can swap joysticks when using one button atari compatible consoles and computers. Restarting MISTer results in not working dongles. I will test tomorrow again....

Thanks for making the dongles work! This is perfect.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:36 am

If in doubt, try upgrading the dongles and gamepads to their latest firmware.

HappyBirthday
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby HappyBirthday » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 am

Nice :cheers:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:45 am

USB of DE10-nano is picky. Sometimes you need to change the HUB port to make it work.
As you see in my pic i skip one USB port. If i place one of them in the middle port then only one will work.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 am

I am using this setup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XHM5JPE

It works perfectly with all of the arcade cores! I am building a custom Stargate controller right now, and I have re-created the panel artwork based on the original stand up machine. I will be releasing that artwork and the Corel draw file that is used for laser cutting the acrylic plastic. I could probably cut some panels if people are interested. I have a 100 watt table laser here so I can cut up to 1" (25mm) thick plastic.
I am the flux ninja

ewok
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ewok » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 am

Sorgelig wrote:USB of DE10-nano is picky. Sometimes you need to change the HUB port to make it work.
As you see in my pic i skip one USB port. If i place one of them in the middle port then only one will work.

That is what I did. Based on your pic I changed the set-up and now it works perfectly. :cheers:

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:13 am

Sorgelig wrote:USB of DE10-nano is picky. Sometimes you need to change the HUB port to make it work.

Maybe they are too close and the signals clash?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Newsdee wrote:

Maybe they are too close and the signals clash?

Recently 8bitdo released grey version of USB receiver which look the same as brown one. They advertise it for PS classic console where they are very close to each other.
Not sure if new version has something to do with ability to be plugged close to each other, but I don't think the difference in 5cm has any meaning for receivers working on several meters.

Locutus73
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Locutus73 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:32 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Recently 8bitdo released grey version of USB receiver which look the same as brown one. They advertise it for PS classic console where they are very close to each other.
Not sure if new version has something to do with ability to be plugged close to each other, but I don't think the difference in 5cm has any meaning for receivers working on several meters.

I think it will have a special firmware in order to be compatible with the PS Classic and I bet it will be compatible with the Mario Brickwall brown ones.

Regards.

Locutus73

Brock101
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Brock101 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 am

I can confirm the Horipad FPS Plus works fine with MISTer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Brock101 wrote:I can confirm the Horipad FPS Plus works fine with MISTer.

By any chance, does the trackpad come up as a mouse? That would be awesome.

jim150
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jim150 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:16 pm

I'm building myself an adapter using the gamepadblock.
Unfortunately, Mister registers both player inputs as P1.
In retropie I could solve this issue installing the script in this page
https://blog.petrockblock.com/2017/10/10/tutorial-gamepadblock-raspbian/.

It would be great if this could be implemented in Mister

Return to “MiSTer”