Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hubertbanas
Atariator
Atariator

Re: DB9 Atari adapter

Postby hubertbanas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Sinclair wrote:I suppose it has been discussed before but, currently, what is the best option to adapt a classic atari joystick to our MiSTer?

I just built two port Atari DB9 to USB adapter using the following:
https://github.com/mcgurk/Arduino-USB-H ... ickAdapter

Changing VID/PID is required to make both ports work out of box. This is well documented in the README.md
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sinclair
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Sinclair » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:43 pm

That is a very good option, thank you.
And some other commercial option?
© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

high5
Atari User
Atari User

Re: DB9 Atari adapter

Postby high5 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Sinclair wrote:I suppose it has been discussed before but, currently, what is the best option to adapt a classic atari joystick to our MiSTer?
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34821&start=25#p364954

Flausch
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Flausch » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Sinclair wrote:And some other commercial option?

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

...or you wait until THaase's USB DB9 hub or LLCoolJoy are available.

Vwbug2010
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Joystick testing thread competion pro usb

Postby Vwbug2010 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Any one know why the competion pro usb works fine with the mist core but not with the mister core?

Vwbug2010
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Vwbug2010 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi sorry what I meant to say was the completion pro joystick usb works on Mist using the amiga core no problem however cant get this working on the mister amiga core any ideas?

rjbrown99
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rjbrown99 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:23 am

Just an update from my earlier posts.

I now have the following devices working:
http://www.8bitdo.com/wireless-usb-adapter (red brick bluetooth adapter)
http://www.8bitdo.com/n30-arcade-stick

Working in both wired and wireless configurations. The only kicker as mentioned earlier is to make sure the N30 is using firmware version 5.00 and not 5.01.

I also replaced the N30 buttons with Sanwa buttons (drop-in replacement) and a Seimitsu LS-32-SC-K joystick (I soldered the connections, there are alternatives if you google). Great experience end-to-end for playing arcade games. If you want to read about modding the joystick the best thread is here:
https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/newb-que ... /183575/13

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby bitfan2011 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:04 am

Anyone know what the verdict is on lightgun zappers and 3D glasses using MiSTer and CRTs?
I know LL Cool Joy will have both SEGA- and Famicom-style ports, right? So that means we could attach either the SMS lightgun, Famicom (expansion port) zappers, or the Justifier, right? Could any of those zappers work with all cores, or would each core need the original zapper? And is it even possible to use FPGA solutions to play light gun games on CRT? The console does something involving counting the lines in the video to determine where the zapper trigger was pressed, right? It would definitely be a big win to make this work.
Likewise, what about the SEGA and Nintendo 3D glasses? That seems easier, but I'm not sure where the sync would come from... However, both Famicom and SMS use a standard minijack on the console hardware to connect the 3D glasses, so maybe they work the same? I haven't tried to see if they are compatible across the two systems.
Anyway, zappers and 3D usually fall through the cracks, so big win if these can be implemented.

Peg4a
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Peg4a » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi all,

I put my MISTer in a A600 case with a keyrah V2. The keyboard is working great.
All is working except one thing : the joystick connected to the DB9 of the keyrah works in the menu (all : directions and the fire button).
But with the minimig core I can move up, down, left and right but no fire button !?
I try to comment and uncomment keyrah option in the mister.ini but with no luck.
Anyone with the same problem ?
I know Sorgeling had a keyrah with the mist in a 1200 case in the beginning and made tweaks for the keyrah.
Any advice for this problem ??
It would be great to play amiga games with my speedking joystick :D
Thanks !!!

Peg4A

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:55 pm

I never tried DB9 on keyrah. If button works in Menu then it should work in the core actually.
Make sure you define the button in Minimig core.

Peg4a
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Peg4a » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks for your answer Sorgelig,
Yes I try, it works well in the MISTer menu but not with minimig...
I will try with a clean workbench for a test.

Peg4A

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:13 am

In case anyone beyond me is interested, I just tested:
The Famicom and SEGA 3D glasses are interchangeable. They both use a simple minijack connection to the respective adapters and then into the consoles. The SEGA ones are much more confortable and seem like a better effect overall.
So if we can figure out how to get the sync signal to a standard minijack, could we then use these glasses with CRT and MiSTer setups? Or maybe any 3D glasses based on the same tech?

arkhos
Atarian
Atarian

Console controllers connected to GPIO

Postby arkhos » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:52 am

Hi,
In raspberry pie I have found that you can connect a console controller (almost)directly to the GPIO port. Somebody know if it is viable to port the driver to De10-nano?
https://github.com/marqs85/gamecon_gpio_rpi
http://seanlee99.blogspot.com/2013/01/p ... ation.html

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

OSD button combo

Postby zomgugoff » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:38 am

Is there a way to map 2 or more buttons to open the OSD on a joystick? Or have a preset that can do it? I'm not seeing any options in the menus or the mister.ini.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: OSD button combo

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:47 am

No way to map.
Buy a good gamepad/joystick. There is an OSD button on I/O board.

jim150
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jim150 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 pm

jim150 wrote:I'm building myself an adapter using the gamepadblock.
Unfortunately, Mister registers both player inputs as P1.
In retropie I could solve this issue installing the script in this page
https://blog.petrockblock.com/2017/10/10/tutorial-gamepadblock-raspbian/.

It would be great if this could be implemented in Mister

I’m quoting myself just to point out that with the latest linux update the gamepadblock is working perfectly with both players. I’ve only tested with genesis controllers, but in the future I will attach NES and SNES controllers.
I think that the gamepadblock board is great for those who want to use original controllers on MiSTer

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 am

If we donate enough, can we that that functionality?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:46 am

It will break other functions. Buy a good gamepad as i've told above.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 am

Just received PSC (grey brick) 8bitdo receiver. It works well, same as brown brick. It adds one more mode - PSC where you can have 2 additional buttons combo for 2 corresponding keys.
So users of 8bitdo reduced controllers where they have no button for OSD can use grey brick for this.
Still key combo for OSD interfering auto-fire function even with grey brick, so you may have sporadic auto-fire activation for L1/R1 buttons.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:11 am

jim150 wrote:
jim150 wrote:I'm building myself an adapter using the gamepadblock.
Unfortunately, Mister registers both player inputs as P1.
In retropie I could solve this issue installing the script in this page
https://blog.petrockblock.com/2017/10/10/tutorial-gamepadblock-raspbian/.

It would be great if this could be implemented in Mister

I’m quoting myself just to point out that with the latest linux update the gamepadblock is working perfectly with both players. I’ve only tested with genesis controllers, but in the future I will attach NES and SNES controllers.
I think that the gamepadblock board is great for those who want to use original controllers on MiSTer

You can see on the developer site that you've to add hid quirks to add 2 player function.

Use serial console - hit ESC during startup to enter u-boot
Add 'usbhid.quirks=0x16D0:0x0BCC:0x040' to kernel command line.

Should work like this:
> setenv bootargs "console=ttyS0,115200 $v loop.max_part=8 mem=511M memmap=513M$511M usbhid.quirks=0x16D0:0x0BCC:0x040"
> saveenv

Reboot and you should be fine

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:31 pm

I got hold of an NTT-Data SNES controller lately. For those that do not know about this masterpiece (as myself up to one week ago): This is a Nintendo SNES controller with Number-Pad 0-9 and some other extra buttons.

See here:
https://www.raphnet.net/divers/ntt_data_sfc_controller/index_en.php

I hooked this to my Bliss-Box and it works great with Bliss-Box 3.0 beta firmware (only firmware supporting the NTT-Data) on Windows. All keys are operable.

When I wanted to try this out on Atari 5200 and ColecoVision - I am only asked for buttons 0-3 by the OSD of MiSTer in both cores. 4-9 or not requested at all. Am I missing something there? I am up to date with all cores and MiSTer etc.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 pm

MiSTer supports up to 16 buttons per core (including directions).
Currently only 2 cores require more buttons. They are available on keyboard. Joystick has reduced number of keys for these cores. 99% games are ok with that. Such controllers actually hard to find and hard to connect anyway.
Basically USB RF micro keyboard can be used instead :)

jim150
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jim150 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:30 am

THaase wrote:

You can see on the developer site that you've to add hid quirks to add 2 player function.

Use serial console - hit ESC during startup to enter u-boot
Add 'usbhid.quirks=0x16D0:0x0BCC:0x040' to kernel command line.

Should work like this:
> setenv bootargs "console=ttyS0,115200 $v loop.max_part=8 mem=511M memmap=513M$511M usbhid.quirks=0x16D0:0x0BCC:0x040"
> saveenv

Reboot and you should be fine

Thank you THaase for the tip! :cheers:
But in the latest linux update this gamepadblock board is already perfecly working with both players!

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:47 am

Sorgelig wrote:Just received PSC (grey brick) 8bitdo receiver. It works well, same as brown brick. It adds one more mode - PSC where you can have 2 additional buttons combo for 2 corresponding keys.
So users of 8bitdo reduced controllers where they have no button for OSD can use grey brick for this.
Still key combo for OSD interfering auto-fire function even with grey brick, so you may have sporadic auto-fire activation for L1/R1 buttons.

Is there a trick to using this? L1+L2+Start seems to work in the main menu and in a core that hasn't had the controller configured yet, but after binding the core's inputs it can only close the OSD. After the OSD closes, it won't re-open. The Select+Down combo also doesn't appear to work at all. Are we supposed to bind these manually?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:14 am

zomgugoff wrote:Is there a trick to using this? L1+L2+Start seems to work in the main menu and in a core that hasn't had the controller configured yet, but after binding the core's inputs it can only close the OSD. After the OSD closes, it won't re-open. The Select+Down combo also doesn't appear to work at all. Are we supposed to bind these manually?

Of course you need to bind it. It's a little tricky. You need to assign L1 and R1 before to prevent it registered while assigning OSD button. Usually i assign L1/R1 as mouse buttons L/R, so when it will come to OSD button you will be able the press both these buttons and they will be ignored and at the end press the Start which will trigger new code which will be registered as OSD.

Return to “MiSTer”