Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ewok
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby ewok » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 am

Newsdee wrote:Using an 8bitdo receiver is the easiest way. There is no bluetooth support as far as I know.

Hi,

I like to use 2 8bitdo wireless USB receivers. Unfortunately only one works. When I try a second one it doesn't work. When I connect the second 8bitdo joystick with usb cable to MISTer, the second one works. Any idea?

Thanks for help.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby vanfanel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Do you guys know if the joystick is supposed to work on the main MiSTer menu, to choose core?
My 8bitdo SN30 works great on the cores, but not on the MiSTer menu...

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:49 pm

I don't remember any problems. Try remapping it, the mapping is specific per core so the menu can have a different joystick mapping than other cores.

BlockABoots

Cannot get USB Pad to work on menu screen??

Postby BlockABoots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:06 pm

So have just finally got my Mister to boot after having issues with my PSU i was using but now i cant seem to get my Xbox One pad (connected via USB) to work on the main menu screen of Mister to select the cores. I have a Micro USB OTG adapter....

Is a Xbox Pad not supported at the is time?

I have also tried a 8BitDo Snes pad via the usb cable which i understands works but im not sure what mode it needs to be in for it to work with the Nano

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Have just tried a PS3 pad connected via USB and the pair light on the ps3 pad lights up on 1 but im unable to control the cursor on the menu screen of MiSTer, i take it you can actually use a pad for the menu screen or do i need to add files to the SD card?

oldgit
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Cannot get USB Pad to work on menu screen??

Postby oldgit » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:14 pm

BlockABoots wrote:Is a Xbox Pad not supported at the is time?

It is supported I have one connected to a powered usb mini hub. I used the adaptor you pictured but found A. Only one usb could be connected and B. it caused problems with anything but a keyboard (not enough power.
I have a small Advent usb hub pictured. Works fine but you need the keyboard connected first to set up the xbox pad
IMG_0001s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old enough to remember B&W TV with 2 channels: Young enough to embrace new technology: Stupid enough to try and get it to work.

BlockABoots

Re: Cannot get USB Pad to work on menu screen??

Postby BlockABoots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 pm

oldgit wrote:
BlockABoots wrote:Is a Xbox Pad not supported at the is time?

It is supported I have one connected to a powered usb mini hub. I used the adaptor you pictured but found A. Only one usb could be connected and B. it caused problems with anything but a keyboard (not enough power.
I have a small Advent usb hub pictured. Works fine but you need the keyboard connected first to set up the xbox pad
IMG_0001s.jpg

Sorry i meant an Xbox One pad!. So far i have tired a Xbox One pad, PS3 Pad and 8BitDo Snes Pad all connected to the Nano via USB cable and im unable to select a core in the main menu when powering on the Nano!

From a fresh install, do i need to add additional files to the SD card to get the pads to work or do i need to do something else first to get the pads to work as im starting to think maybe this micro USB OTG cable i have is not working as intended!?

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:11 am

Newsdee wrote:I don't remember any problems. Try remapping it, the mapping is specific per core so the menu can have a different joystick mapping than other cores.

This! I was so blind as not to see the joystick menu on the MiSTer menu core :lol:
Thanks!!

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:25 pm

So is it possible to have more than one pad configured at a time or when you configure a new pad does it over right the old one?

I was thinking of getting the 8BitDo USB receiver and the 8BitDo Megadrive, nes and snes DIY PCB boards and using them for their specific systems on MiSTer

witchmaster

Postby witchmaster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:30 pm

BlockABoots wrote:So is it possible to have more than one pad configured at a time or when you configure a new pad does it over right the old one?

I was thinking of getting the 8BitDo USB receiver and the 8BitDo Megadrive, nes and snes DIY PCB boards and using them for their specific systems on MiSTer

You can have multiple controllers configured, new controllers will not overwrite mappings for previously configured controllers.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Button settings are for device ID. So 2 identical controllers will share the same button config.

How 2 or more identical controllers will work - it fully depends on Linux. I've heard that in some cases 2 controllers with the same VID/PID may not work, but i never tried it as i have no 2 identical controllers.

thgill

Postby thgill » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:16 am

Tested a couple controllers:

iBuffalo SNES gamepad - works great
Hori Pokken DX gamepad - works great

Also picked up one of the Mayflash Sega Saturn controller adapters - works great with an original Sega Saturn controller

It has two ports on the front of it, but I have only tested it with one controller so far.
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

zevin
Atarian
Atarian

Postby zevin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:16 am

I've tested 4-5 gamepads so far, and they all worked perfectly. Just wanted to check and see if getting IDs and debug info for working pads would help at all? Just trying to see if there's anyways I can help the project.

Thanks!

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:13 pm

So what do you guys do say for the PCE core and if your uing a 8BitDo SNES pad, the joystick config in the actual core asks to config 6 buttons (the total on the SNES pad) so how would you go about bring up the OSD for MiSTer in this case as all the buttons are assigned.....i know the quick answer is use F12 on the Keyboard but i would kind of like to get away from the keyboard and eventually be using the correct pads for each system.

Would it be possible to define a 'function/combo' button in joystick config menu so you can hold the function button down whilst pressing another to get to the OSD at all?
Last edited by BlockABoots on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olin

Postby olin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:13 pm

I made a fix for sticking key issue observed on PS3 gamepads and Xbox360 controllers. The issue was observed in menu and during gameplay, the directional pads got stuck to one direction and game could not be played. This is hopefully fixed in my unofficial build. If you have PS3 or Xbox360 controllers (both must be wired , no wireless support!) and would like to give it a try here is the link:
https://github.com/ole00/Main_MiSTer/tr ... r/releases

use the latest unofficial release 20181104 on the bottom of the page. Source code changes are also provided in the same github project.
If you find issues with this release, let me know.

Indcsion
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Indcsion » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:52 am

Is there anyway to setup putty just by using a computer with controller plugged in without going through the de10 nano? I couldnt get it setup.

whiskeyrunnerone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby whiskeyrunnerone » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:41 am

Has anyone attempted to try the 4 Play Bliss Box? I just got mine tonight and will do some testing in the next couple days. It supposedly doesn't require any drivers. It is Linux compatible. Its essentially a 4 port USB hub but has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 USB B output. Its firmware upgradeable. It supports rumble packs. There is controller adapters for nearly every system and the prices and super reasonable. I really see this as useful for the MiSTer because it will allow you to use up to 4 retro controllers. If you are a purist and you are using MiSTer to take the load off of your consoles, I don't see a more authentic way.

https://bliss-box.net/

jpxdude
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jpxdude » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:13 pm

If it hasn't been mentioned already, just wanted to add that Wireless xbox 360 controllers work fine with the official wireless adapter. It's worked on every core I've tried (minimig, FX Core, Genesis, Snes, PCE).

whiskeyrunnerone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby whiskeyrunnerone » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 pm

whiskeyrunnerone wrote:Has anyone attempted to try the 4 Play Bliss Box? I just got mine tonight and will do some testing in the next couple days. It supposedly doesn't require any drivers. It is Linux compatible. Its essentially a 4 port USB hub but has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 USB B output. Its firmware upgradeable. It supports rumble packs. There is controller adapters for nearly every system and the prices and super reasonable. I really see this as useful for the MiSTer because it will allow you to use up to 4 retro controllers. If you are a purist and you are using MiSTer to take the load off of your consoles, I don't see a more authentic way.

https://bliss-box.net/

After some initial testing, I'm not sure whats going on. A few times I was able to get the DE10 to recognize a controller connected to the Bliss box but the button mapping was really finiki. Some buttons would not register. Most often the DE10 wouldn't even see the Bliss box. I can see that there is a LED light in the center of the bliss box that dimly lit when plugged in. Seems a little dim but I'm not sure how bright that light is supposed to be.

Part of my issue is that I just have 1 usb port so I cannot have the keyboard and bliss box connected at the same time. I will order a powered usb hub and do some more testing.

fadetofunk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby fadetofunk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:44 pm

I've had success with an 8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Adapter (looks like Mario blocks) in my cheap OTG USB hub. I've paired both a SF30 Pro and a PS4 controller to it. I imagine any controller that works with the 8bitdo adapter will work. I did NOT have success using an 8bitdo Retro receiver using the USB connection on the side.

mikealbert
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mikealbert » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Anyone else run into power issues with an 8bitdo Retro Receiver? I have an SNES Retro Receiver which works well, however it occasionally doesn't power up when I turn on my de10. Turning the de10 off and on seems to fix the issue. I'd estimate the power issue happens about 50% of the time. The Retro Receiver is plugged into the 4 port MakerSpot USB hub that everyone seems to be using, and I'm using the power brick that came with the de10.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:58 am

mikealbert wrote:Anyone else run into power issues with an 8bitdo Retro Receiver? I have an SNES Retro Receiver which works well, however it occasionally doesn't power up when I turn on my de10. Turning the de10 off and on seems to fix the issue. I'd estimate the power issue happens about 50% of the time. The Retro Receiver is plugged into the 4 port MakerSpot USB hub that everyone seems to be using, and I'm using the power brick that came with the de10.

im using a 4 port powered hub and it always seems to start. The problem I have is once in a while I lose connection to an xbone controller. I haven't lost connection during a game yet it seems to happen when im fooling around with the menu button. Im not using the stock power brick. I am using a 4amp from brick from amazon.
Are you using one of those cheap inline power switches? I tested a few of those and they did drop the voltage enough to cause me trouble.

mikealbert
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mikealbert » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:04 pm

im using a 4 port powered hub and it always seems to start. The problem I have is once in a while I lose connection to an xbone controller. I haven't lost connection during a game yet it seems to happen when im fooling around with the menu button. Im not using the stock power brick. I am using a 4amp from brick from amazon.
Are you using one of those cheap inline power switches? I tested a few of those and they did drop the voltage enough to cause me trouble.

No inline power switch, but the usb hub I'm using is not powered. I've never lost connection during a game or in-menu. Just had the retro receiver fail to turn on when the de10 is first powered up. I'll try upgrading my brick and if that doesn't fix it, maybe switch to a powered usb hub. Which hub are you using?

whiskeyrunnerone
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby whiskeyrunnerone » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm

warham wrote:
mikealbert wrote:Anyone else run into power issues with an 8bitdo Retro Receiver? I have an SNES Retro Receiver which works well, however it occasionally doesn't power up when I turn on my de10. Turning the de10 off and on seems to fix the issue. I'd estimate the power issue happens about 50% of the time. The Retro Receiver is plugged into the 4 port MakerSpot USB hub that everyone seems to be using, and I'm using the power brick that came with the de10.

I had this happen with the bliss box last night as well. When I got the controllers mapped it worked great but screwing around with button mapping on the main MiSTer settings menu would make them unresponsive. The only way to get them to respond was to reboot MiSTer and get back to the menu. Then I would have to unplug the controller pigtail from the bliss box and plug it back in. Most of the time the controller would then respond. The keyboard still worked fine during any changes. Both are plugged into a Sabrent Powered usb hub that is directly connected to the USB on the DE10. I could see that the power and usb communication LED's were lit in the bliss box the entire time.

I did not have the same issue with my retro receiver and my discontinued N30 pro. I connected the retro receiver (the one that has a 1988 NES port, not the classic) via the usb to usb micro cable to the USB hub and sync'd the controller. Buttons mapped correctly and I was able to play SMB with the N30 Pro. I did not try to mess with the MiSTer settings menu to see if the controller would become unresponsive. I did try unplugging the receiver from the usb hub and replugging to see if the controller map would be saved and it was. The controller worked after being plugged back in.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 am

mikealbert dunno if it makes any difference but have you updated the 8bit receiver firmware?

Return to “MiSTer”