Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Everett1954
Atariator
Atariator

Some basic Mister Questions

Postby Everett1954 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of upgrading to the Mister from my Mist but want to know:

How many of the current Mister Cores work with the HDMI output?

Does the D-10 only have one micro-usb port? Do I will need a OTG MICRO USB to STANDARD USB port Hub to use my joypads? It also said a Powered HUB? Do I need a powered one if I"m only using joysticks, mice and keyboard? What about a PS3 controller with rumble?

Can I use a 2600daptor if I want to use an Atari Joystick on a usb port of Mister?

Are they different memory sizes of memory boards and who is currently making them? kit or assembled.

Does the D-10 have pushbuttons switches that perform the functions like on a MIST?

Does it use SD or MicroSD card? Maximum size?

Any cases yet?

Thanks

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Some basic Mister Questions

Postby Newsdee » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:36 am

All the cores work with HDMI.

Yes you need an OTG cable plus a hub or an OTG hub because there is only one micro USB port for devices (there is also a mini USB for serial console). The DE10 Nano comes with a small OTG cable so you can just use any hub you have around. I don't use a powered hub but some devices might need power.

Not sure about a PS3 pad but rumble is not supported by any core. I will try when I get a bit of chance and report back. My Atari2600 adapter has some issues and I'm investigating them. Eventually it will work :) I have plenty of controllers to try and I plan to update the firmware code if needed (once I become familiar enough with it)

There is only one type of memory board. Look at the dedicated pinned thread if you need one, some people here sell them.

The MiST style buttons (i.e. same functions) are on the IO expansion board.

It uses MicroSD cards. I use 32GB but it can probably use more. In any case its plenty of room.

For.a case I used the 3D print design from Negsol. There's a website that finds nearby 3D printers and you pay them to manufacture it for you.

Here's mine in action:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZYnq_YFjhL/

Here's the case Thingyverse files:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2527243

Everett1954
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Everett1954 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Can I add another basic question. Will the ST core be ported at some point?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 am

Dal wrote:Can I add another basic question. Will the ST core be ported at some point?

when someone would like to port it, then it will be ported.
Or everything should be done exactly by me?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 pm

To be fair the ST core is difficult to port because it needs specialized firmware changes on top of just porting the HDL. Also one ST strong point is the MIDI support... which would be hard to replicate on the MiSTer without some kind of adapter. So moving the ST core seems like quite a massive project compared to porting any of the other 8-bit cores. Let the venerable MiST enjoy its niche for a while :)

nightshadowpt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby nightshadowpt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:50 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
Dal wrote:Can I add another basic question. Will the ST core be ported at some point?

when someone would like to port it, then it will be ported.
Or everything should be done exactly by me?

You have spoiled us... now expectations are high... :)

Kidding, of course you should not be the only one porting cores...

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Newsdee wrote:To be fair the ST core is difficult to port because it needs specialized firmware changes on top of just porting the HDL. Also one ST strong point is the MIDI support... which would be hard to replicate on the MiSTer without some kind of adapter. So moving the ST core seems like quite a massive project compared to porting any of the other 8-bit cores. Let the venerable MiST enjoy its niche for a while :)

MIDI is not a problem at all. There are still many free GPIOs on Arduino header. So, for those who needs MIDI it's possible to add small adapter similar to daughter board on MiST.
There are some mixture of reasons why it's till not ported:
1) It requires a lot of tweaks on firmware side. Actually ST code is inside MiSTer binary, but it's not tested yet and not tweaked for latest MiSTer API.
2) I'm not impressed by ST. Sorry.. It's no way near to Amiga. It's more like 8-bit computer with pretty weak graphics. So, i'm not ready to spend a lot of my time for this core, although i've made some initial port.

A fan of Atari ST understanding HDL could do the porting much better than me :)
Actually, every core should have a dedicated developer in order to make it really good.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Sorgelig wrote:2) I'm not impressed by ST. Sorry.. It's no way near to Amiga. It's more like 8-bit computer with pretty weak graphics.

You, sir are probably the only person who can come onto a dedicated Atari ST forum and say that! :lol:

Totally understand your views on porting the core (even if I think you’re being unfair to the humble ST’s capabilities)

Thanks for your honest response and many more thanks for the work you have put in to this project. Some of your core choices are inspired (like X68000).
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 am

Dal wrote:You, sir are probably the only person who can come onto a dedicated Atari ST forum and say that! :lol:

Don't take me wrong. I'm not Atari hater at all :) I've ported other Atari computers and consoles already.
ST needs a lot of work to port. May be i will finish to port it (i've started a while back as i've mentioned) some day.
I know, there are many fans of ST - that's why it will be better if some fan will take care of it.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:42 am

It's clear there's a lot in most cores that need a dedicated developer to refine. That's the proverbial last 20% of the work that takes 80% of the time :) And whoever does that would have no time to do anything else, realistically.

That said, the port work that Sorgelig is doing is fantastic not only because of how much he is doing, but also because it's unifying all these cores with common elements (just by virtue of having the same person looking at it). In theory future ports of this code ought to be easier by plugging into these common elements (the Framework as the wiki calls it). I'd say that's also an important contribution to these cores for future devs to benefit from. :)

Return to “MiSTer”