Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Arcade cores

Postby Lightwave » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 pm

alanswx wrote:I put the osd dip support in most of the cores.

Thanks, these kinds of changes aren’t as glamorous as a new core, but they are nonetheless appreciated :)

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:30 pm

Lightwave wrote:Not sure if you are suggesting hardware GPIO dips as an additional feature, but such a thing is not necessary as the core menu for each arcade core supports setting dip options via software (many arcade core settings are already doing this).

Either way would work. I understand using nano on your desk with monitor hooked up make no difference. But for me who invested quite a lot money and time in real arcade cabinets with vertical screen, it is a matter of using nano or not using it at all.

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:37 pm

alanswx wrote:I put the osd dip support in most of the cores. Let me know if it is broken. Unfortunately we haven’t built new versions yet. I left out the coins and some other things that didn’t seem important. Sometimes the dips don’t work if you load a different rom.

OK, thanks. And where can I find these software dip settings for particular cores I listed above. As of this moment, none of these have any dip or alternate vertical options available in the game core menu. Please advise, much appreciated.

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Lightwave » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 pm

eskwadrat wrote:
alanswx wrote:I put the osd dip support in most of the cores. Let me know if it is broken. Unfortunately we haven’t built new versions yet. I left out the coins and some other things that didn’t seem important. Sometimes the dips don’t work if you load a different rom.

OK, thanks. And where can I find these software dip settings for particular cores I listed above. As of this moment, none of these have any dip or alternate vertical options available in the game core menu. Please advise, much appreciated.

As alanswx mentioned, you'll need to wait for the cores to be rebuilt to see the changes.

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:50 pm

I hear ya. Will do.
Will follow up on vertical topic to existing thread "Screen Flip? Rotate Screen?"
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=37158

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Most original vertical arcades had FLIP dip switch. It allowed to rotate game picture by 180 deg allowing use in cabinets employing cw and ccw rotated monitor.

Except recent Commando core by Jotego, all others vertical cores do not support this important feature. Important for those who built MISTer board into real vertical arcade cabinet.

zakk4223
Atarian
Atarian

Postby zakk4223 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:02 am

eskwadrat wrote:

Most original vertical arcades had FLIP dip switch. It allowed to rotate game picture by 180 deg allowing use in cabinets employing cw and ccw rotated monitor.

Except recent Commando core by Jotego, all others vertical cores do not support this important feature. Important for those who built MISTer board into real vertical arcade cabinet.

A lot of them DIDN'T have screen flip dip switches; especially older (early-mid 80s) games that came in dedicated cabinets. They often had a dip switch for upright/cocktail but that's not really useful.

I see the list of cores you posted in the other topic; unfortunately it doesn't look like any of those have a documented screen flip dip switch.
Command DOES have one, so of course Jotego added it.

Lack of screen flip is a limitation shared by both Mister and the original arcade PCBs. Most operators dealt with it by either having cabinets that could rotate both ways or by flipping the vertical connectors on the monitor yoke. Some monitor chassis even had two yoke connectors for each orientation.

The best way to figure out if a given board has a screen flip is to google 'gameName dip switches' and you should get some results that show all the dips, or at least a PDF of the original manual.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:26 am

Perhaps I missed it but is the MiSTer "cheat" system enabled for the arcade cores as well or is it just the console type cores?

viperman3
Atarian
Atarian

Postby viperman3 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 am

anyone having graphcal glithces in Arcade - Alibaba core amongst a few others (pacman)? I have updated MiSTer and not sure if I need to make any changes to the mister configuration file to get past these graphical glitches. Was working fine on an older MiSTer build but not as of late.

alanswx
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alanswx » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:29 pm

viperman3 wrote:anyone having graphcal glithces in Arcade - Alibaba core amongst a few others (pacman)? I have updated MiSTer and not sure if I need to make any changes to the mister configuration file to get past these graphical glitches. Was working fine on an older MiSTer build but not as of late.

The rom script is out of sync with the core. Sorry. Try an older rom script for now.

viperman3
Atarian
Atarian

Postby viperman3 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:25 am

alanswx wrote:
viperman3 wrote:anyone having graphcal glithces in Arcade - Alibaba core amongst a few others (pacman)? I have updated MiSTer and not sure if I need to make any changes to the mister configuration file to get past these graphical glitches. Was working fine on an older MiSTer build but not as of late.

The rom script is out of sync with the core. Sorry. Try an older rom script for now.

I'm not sure I understand. I've used "build_rom_Alibaba.bat" which is the only batch file on github to compile to necessary ROM. What older rom script would you be referring to?

this graphical glitch is also on other arcade cores. Is the issue with the compile ROM image or the RBF core file?

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:04 pm

viperman3 wrote:
alanswx wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. I've used "build_rom_Alibaba.bat" which is the only batch file on github to compile to necessary ROM. What older rom script would you be referring to?

this graphical glitch is also on other arcade cores. Is the issue with the compile ROM image or the RBF core file?

github has the old versions, you need to click history on the bat file or ini file. I will try to bring the RBF up to the bat file soon.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:56 am

Yep! Can't get Pac-Man to work. What is the point of life now?

djmartins

Postby djmartins » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 am

nathanhardie wrote:Yep! Can't get Pac-Man to work. What is the point of life now?

Now you have a quest.
I too had a bit of trouble getting Pacman running but I did.
Search this thread for the archive.org link to roms and try the rom there
Check the contents of the zip against the batch file.
I think the crc is also listed for that rom so you can check if the rom you make has the correct crc.
It DOES work.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:28 pm

djmartins wrote:
nathanhardie wrote:Yep! Can't get Pac-Man to work. What is the point of life now?

Now you have a quest.
I too had a bit of trouble getting Pacman running but I did.
Search this thread for the archive.org link to roms and try the rom there
Check the contents of the zip against the batch file.
I think the crc is also listed for that rom so you can check if the rom you make has the correct crc.
It DOES work.

Unfortunately it is out of sync. You need to grab a one version old rom creation script (bat or ini and sh) and then a valid non merged zip and it will work.

Waiting on a new sys to rebuild all the arcade cores.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:40 pm

Oh crap. So you're saying with all the new fangled Neogeo updates; none of the classic arcades are gonna work like normal? This makes me a sad panda. Is there an old main MiSTer that will work?

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:39 pm

nathanhardie wrote:Oh crap. So you're saying with all the new fangled Neogeo updates; none of the classic arcades are gonna work like normal? This makes me a sad panda. Is there an old main MiSTer that will work?

No. Not neogeo.

I went through and updated almost all of the arcade cores to use the new scaler, add dips, open alternative roms, etc. when I hit the pacman cores I moved the clut out of built in rom and into the .rom file. I updated the scripts to create the new rom. But we never released an rbf that matched because the sys has been in flux waiting for direct video and support for bigger ram.

It is a big job to update 65+ cores so we have been waiting for the sys to get stable again.

Meanwhile build an older rom to be compatible with the older rbf that is there.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:51 pm

By "sys" you mean the main MiSTer right? Not when you have to update the Linux and sd card? I remember when you updated all the arcade cores. That was Epic! Thanks for all the crazy stuff you do!

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:30 pm

nathanhardie wrote:By "sys" you mean the main MiSTer right? Not when you have to update the Linux and sd card? I remember when you updated all the arcade cores. That was Epic! Thanks for all the crazy stuff you do!

Sys is the FPGA side that talks to the mister binary. All the common code.

Chol
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Chol » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:49 pm

guvner
Atariator
Atariator

Postby guvner » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:43 pm

looks like the aspect ratio on the digdug core is a little squished in vertical orientation.

MrX8B
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MrX8B » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:17 am

guvner wrote:looks like the aspect ratio on the digdug core is a little squished in vertical orientation.

I fixed.

Dirtbag
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dirtbag » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:34 pm

MrX8B wrote:
guvner wrote:looks like the aspect ratio on the digdug core is a little squished in vertical orientation.

I fixed.

Thank you MrX8B for a wonderful new core, your work is very much appreciated!

I hope you plan to become MiSTer-X8B! :cheers:

Nat
Atarian
Atarian

Rygar for MiSTer (Beta)

Postby Nat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:28 am

I just spotted this over on Josh Bassets site a beta Rygar release, no sound yet and a few graphics issues.

See here for info and download https://www.joshbassett.info/rygar-for-mister-beta/

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Trying to compile the RallyX core but seem to be getting loads of red text error messages in the dos window....

any ideas, what type of Mame romset is supposed to be used? (Merged, Non-Merged or Split)

Return to “MiSTer”