https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Arcade cores

Postby slingshot » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:16 pm

alanswx wrote:I updated it to use the 12mhz clock. The 6mhz clock
Signal was ignored and it was using the 25 which is messed up as well.

25 MHz for receiving the vector data also wrong. Notice you have two asynchronous clock domain: 12 MHz which generates (and receives) the vector data, and writes to the BRAM framebuffer, and 25 MHz which reads the framebuffer and sends to the screen. Those are asynchronous, and should not interfere with each other only at the dual port BRAM.

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 pm

slingshot wrote:
alanswx wrote:I updated it to use the 12mhz clock. The 6mhz clock
Signal was ignored and it was using the 25 which is messed up as well.

25 MHz for receiving the vector data also wrong. Notice you have two asynchronous clock domain: 12 MHz which generates (and receives) the vector data, and writes to the BRAM framebuffer, and 25 MHz which reads the framebuffer and sends to the screen. Those are asynchronous, and should not interfere with each other only at the dual port BRAM.

I see that. I fixed that. Asteroids is broken too I believe. I need to fix it. Still not quite right. I need to upload newer code. Is the mist version color?

oldgit
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby oldgit » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:15 pm

remowilliams wrote:Is it just me or has the sound in the Williams cores become even more high pitched/faster than it previously was? I just tried Robotron and it sounds even more off than it previously was (which is immediately noticeable)

I am currently testing a newer version of the cpu68 core which has been amended to make it more cycle accurate, this should fix the higher than normal sound/speech.

Dave
Old enough to remember B&W TV with 2 channels: Young enough to embrace new technology: Stupid enough to try and get it to work.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:17 pm

alanswx wrote:I see that. I fixed that. Asteroids is broken too I believe. I need to fix it. Still not quite right. I need to upload newer code. Is the mist version color?

No, there's no BRAM for color picture. But the current code is easy to modify for more bits/pixel. Sooner or later I have to write a SDRAM-based framebuffer.

dazzer69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby dazzer69 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Robotron sorted. I had an older core in cores directory without the arcade prefix. Deleted and all fine. Sorry for any confusion. Sounds in Robotron are still messed up though;-)

werpu
Atariator
Atariator

Postby werpu » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:25 pm

alanswx wrote:
werpu wrote:Tried Arkanoid yesterday with an ultimarc high res spinner, works fine...

I have another question. Joust simultaneous two players, is there a way to map the second player input?
The game setup seems to support only one joystick.
I have not tried with two gamepads yet (i have a self built two player arcade controller to lift this off), but it seems to me that it is not supported.

Can you try joust?

Code: Select all

JA  = ~{ 5'b00000, m_fire1a, m_right1, m_left1 };
            JB  = ~{ 5'b00000, m_fire2a, m_right2, m_left2 };

It looks like it is now hooked up to use two different joysticks.

I will try I just have to enable the second joystick on my setup first (which is quite complicated two teensies and one pi are involved... I will post my results tomorrow)

alanswx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alanswx » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:46 am

peepsalot wrote: I can submit a github pull request if wanted.

Wow -- it is much better. I pulled in your pull request, as well as fixed the clocks. Black Widow looks better. Gravitar seems to have a little too much persistence on some transitions. And the lines are still not as filled in as I think we would like.

I am not sure if the b&w Mist version looks better. I had to turn off the "erase" feature because I wasn't getting any graphics with the way dpram was setup on the newer altera stuff.

Ideas on how to make it better? I need to fix the clocks in asteroids next.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:39 am

alanswx wrote:Wow -- it is much better.

Ditto, just updated and booted the Black Widow core and it pretty good!
Are all the Atari vector systems screwy like this?

warham
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby warham » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:45 am

alanswx wrote:
werpu wrote:Tried Arkanoid yesterday with an ultimarc high res spinner, works fine...

I have another question. Joust simultaneous two players, is there a way to map the second player input?
The game setup seems to support only one joystick.
I have not tried with two gamepads yet (i have a self built two player arcade controller to lift this off), but it seems to me that it is not supported.

Joust works great with 2 gamepads if your controller/receiver firmware/ usb hub are playing nice.

warham

Postby warham » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:11 am

Sorgelig wrote:i don't know if background pic is available somewhere to download.
Background may be possible to add, but only the original resolution and dimension can be covered. So everything outside will be cut, thus it won't be as environmental as on Xbox 360.
I think XBox 360 is not original version but completely different, written specifically for XBox 360.

I think there are some tools to extract the 360 iso's. I will try to dig around in the files this weekend.

warham

Postby warham » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Sorgelig wrote: i don't know if background pic is available somewhere to download.
Background may be possible to add, but only the original resolution and dimension can be covered. So everything outside will be cut, thus it won't be as environmental as on Xbox 360.
I think XBox 360 is not original version but completely different, written specifically for XBox 360.

Pulled from the mame extras
https://mega.nz/#!AssxQYLa!FbNqjEgIl8N7ERpIg7f0mNESPf7oyfkcKs_wIaSjAM8

warham

Postby warham » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:16 pm

My spinner works with arkanoid but not discs of tron.. DOT not have mouse input?
Last edited by warham on Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

werpu
Atariator
Atariator

Postby werpu » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:43 pm

warham wrote:Joust works great with 2 gamepads if your controller/receiver firmware/ usb hub are playing nice.

Yes I just gave it a shot... after finally having attached my second teensy to the mister (which activates the other half of my controller as joystick)
and it indeed works great, thanks for the quick responses.
Btw. the game helped me a lot to debug out some minor multiplayer quirks I had in my mapping code.

oldgit
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby oldgit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:56 pm

If someone with younger ears and better hearing can check out https://github.com/davewoo999/Arcade-Williams_MiSTer
I changed the rbf to Williams to avoid confusion with the official robotron core so have edited the .mra files to reflect this.
The sinistar and playball games have speech added I used these as it was easier comparing the speech to the original arcade.

If the sounds are better I will put in a request to update the 6802 cpu file.

Thanks
Dave
Old enough to remember B&W TV with 2 channels: Young enough to embrace new technology: Stupid enough to try and get it to work.

Threepwood

Postby Threepwood » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 pm

I am wondering if it is possible to use or convert the .bin-files included in the Atari Vault collection. There is a good bunch of arcade-games included, like Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe, Black Widow, Gravitar etc.

Does anybody know more?
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]

dazzer69
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby dazzer69 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:42 pm

Great to have you back looking at Williams sound, oldgit. Robotron sounds much better now. The one thing I did notice is the screen transition sound effect cuts off a bit short. Great work though.

Shaneus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shaneus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:00 am

The update to the Williams/Robotron core from oldgit seems to be better than the existing one. Is that an update that will eventually make it onto the master or does more testing need to be done? Happy to help facilitate things where/if I can :)

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:05 am

Threepwood wrote:I am wondering if it is possible to use or convert the .bin-files included in the Atari Vault collection. There is a good bunch of arcade-games included, like Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe, Black Widow, Gravitar etc.

Does anybody know more?

Sounds like files that have nothing to do with FPGA code and the games you mentioned are in MiSTer already and have
been worked on quite a bit.
See posts in this topic on them....

Threepwood

Postby Threepwood » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:39 am

djmartins wrote:
Threepwood wrote:I am wondering if it is possible to use or convert the .bin-files included in the Atari Vault collection. There is a good bunch of arcade-games included, like Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe, Black Widow, Gravitar etc.

Does anybody know more?

Sounds like files that have nothing to do with FPGA code and the games you mentioned are in MiSTer already and have
been worked on quite a bit.
See posts in this topic on them....

It is ROM-files like the ones from MAME you need to use with the arcade cores. Guess why 99% of the arcade cores don't work out of the box, they don't ship with ROMs. Only these bin-files are ROMs in a different format than MAME, but can be purchased and thus are legal, unlike MAME-ROMs, which is required for some applicatons.
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]

oldgit
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby oldgit » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:45 am

Shaneus wrote:The update to the Williams/Robotron core from oldgit seems to be better than the existing one. Is that an update that will eventually make it onto the master or does more testing need to be done? Happy to help facilitate things where/if I can :)

I haven't made a change request yet as I got sidetracked trying to fix the glitch in sinistar. It is caused when accessing the extra ram used to create the sinistar graphic. The original board, according to the schematics, appears to use a combination of three signals for the access.
Will ask for change soon.

Dave

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:01 am

oldgit wrote:I haven't made a change request yet as I got sidetracked trying to fix the glitch in sinistar. It is caused when accessing the extra ram used to create the sinistar graphic. The original board, according to the schematics, appears to use a combination of three signals for the access.
Will ask for change soon.

Dave

That would be cool if you could fix that, too. I also wonder if your updated cpu68 solves the occasionally broken sound in the Moon Patrol sound board.

oldgit
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby oldgit » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:59 pm

The core is available to download from https://github.com/davewoo999/Arcade-Wi ... /cpu68.vhd
It was updated by the author of the Robotron core Jared Boone.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:54 pm

oldgit wrote:The sinistar and playball games have speech added I used these as it was easier comparing the speech to the original arcade.

But where to get support code for speech? Also Playball uses mod=7 which is not supported in source code.
Do i miss some repository?

oldgit
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby oldgit » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 pm

But where to get support code for speech? Also Playball uses mod=7 which is not supported in source code.
Do i miss some repository?[/quote]

Sorry haven't posted my source for this yet will do soon.
Must say that Playball was a prototype (not released) and I cannot find any schematics so its a bit flaky. The start says press left or right but I cannot get this to work, mind you MAME is the same.

My source has a load of changes trying to bottom the sinistar video, I will take a fresh copy of the Robotron MiSTer files and do the changes for sound/speech and request an update.

Regards Dave

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:16 pm

Ah, ok.
I've applied cpu68 changes already.

Return to “MiSTer”