Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

hyperterminal
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Arcade cores

Postby hyperterminal » Sun May 06, 2018 9:22 am

Sorgelig wrote:It's possible, but it will require every core modification specific to each core.
I'm not going to another round of 50 cores modification.

This is understandable. Most people play with the default dip switch settings anyway, as these are the only settings accepted for high score competitions. Maybe you can update just some of the more popular cores when you have some spare time. But this feature is definately not top priority.

Talking about Arcade cores: Have you considered to further improve the NES core so that (partial) support for the Nintendo VS Unisystem is added?

A first and easy step (as you already have a palette selection option) would be to add the Arcade palettes of the different VS PPUs.

They can be downloaded from here:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970 ... try3884369

Here is a test rom that might help with the development:
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php ... 92#p127592
Last edited by hyperterminal on Sun May 06, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 06, 2018 9:42 am

I would prefer someone will add modifications and provide the pull request to me.
I cannot handle everything myself.

oldgit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby oldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Hopefully this is in the correct section:

I have robotron working in lite mode (see attached pic). I was just wondering if anyone else was working on this, it has the roms embedded in the code and my next task would be to remove this and read from the SD card. This may take some time.
I have not written code for FPGA's before and as my user name suggests I am retired. With the few brain cells left from my misspent youth I am having fun tinkering, although the smd soldering was a challenge. If some one else is working to get this going I can sit back and wait.

Dave
Old enough to remember B&W TV with 2 channels: Young enough to embrace new technology: Stupid enough to try and get it to work.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:24 pm

I remember something has been missed to create robotron arcade. Probably audio board.
So far, no one working on this core.
The pic is missing probably because you are trial user currently with limited rights.

So, you've made this arcade fully working (beside the lite mode and embedded ROM)?

As for age - i think many retro devs are 40+ already :)

oldgit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby oldgit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 pm

ROBOTRON
Nearly working - I used the sound and cpu from defender together with the rom and ram code. The robotron blitter uses 4 bit so had to split the ram.
The embedded rom code was removed and now loads from SD. I am now down to less than 100 warnings.

ISSUE On loading the lite sof the system hangs for about 30 seconds - reboots then everything appears OK. The rbf does not work.

I have uploaded the code to github under davewoo999 / Robotron-for-MiSTer if anyone is interested. keys are a bit awkward but I set them up for testing. I added the joystick (2 of them) code but have no joystick to test. Instructions in the Readme.txt

There are probably timing issues as Joust will only run for around 3 levels then crashes. (work in progress as I believe they use the same core)
Old enough to remember B&W TV with 2 channels: Young enough to embrace new technology: Stupid enough to try and get it to work.

oldgit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby oldgit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 am

Space Invaders
I have uploaded to github space invaders. Lite version and HDMI only, the rbf works. I could not get a build on the full version as it just hangs at 30%.
Untested joystick support ( must get a joystick).
2 player support and updated sounds.

github - davewoo999/space-invaders-for-MiSTer

gnasher666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gnasher666 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:00 am

Hope this is the correct forum but I'm having problems with display output with a bunch of Arcade Cores;

I don't get any output (screen goes into standby) on (I've tried other but can't remember there names so won't include them)
Galaga
Bomb Jack

Alibaba on the other hand works fine

I'm using the latest MiSTer firmware with an 8GB SD Card, the ROMs all created without error. I don't have the IO board so can only test via HDMI and I've tried this on a monitor and a TV with the same symptoms. I assume I'm doing something wrong and any help would be appreciated.

PhantombrainM
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby PhantombrainM » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm

No problems here with your mentioned cores, latest MISTer file.

Please check your mister.ini in config folder.

Try vsync_adjust=1 or 0
Also try a lower resolution: video_mode=0

If this doesn't help please check if you have the correct mame set roms.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

gnasher666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gnasher666 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:No problems here with your mentioned cores, latest MISTer file.

Please check your mister.ini in config folder.

Try vsync_adjust=1 or 0
Also try a lower resolution: video_mode=0

If this doesn't help please check if you have the correct mame set roms.

Hi, thanks for the tips - it was the romset that was the issue. All working now. Thanks again.

Macro
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Macro » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Sorgelig wrote:but i found original Pacman core doesn't emulate 8 sprites as it should. It emulates only 6 (as Pengo).

original pacman hardware will only draw 6 sprites - many of the bootlegs will support 8, one of the cases where the bootlegs are more flexible than the real thing!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Macro wrote:original pacman hardware will only draw 6 sprites - many of the bootlegs will support 8, one of the cases where the bootlegs are more flexible than the real thing!

it was very old message. Many things have been changed since that time.

squid4
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby squid4 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:20 pm

[deleted]

ewok
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ewok » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:36 am

Hi,

I used to play the Japanes version of Donkey Kong. dkonj.zip. Is it posible to compile this particular rom set?

TNX!

funkycochise
Atarian
Atarian

Postby funkycochise » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:44 pm

MacBack wrote:
NML32 wrote:I'm just pointing out something I noticed with this build of DK. I'm not reporting a bug or an issue.
In this version the game starts with 6 lives, the default is usually 3 lives.

Per DK wiki:
The player typically receives three lives with a bonus awarded for the first 7,000 points, although this can be modified via the game's built-in DIP switches.

Today i got Quartus Prime 17.1 running :angel:

Attached Donkey Kong with 3 Lives and 7000 Bonus default. Now i have to struggle with the rest :mrgreen:

hi, could you please explain what you have change ? maybe provide your modified source file(s) ?
got also my first Quartus build work. 8)

sorry for double post.
I found the dip switch settings in top file.

oldgit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby oldgit » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Space Invaders
I have updated the files in https://github.com/davewoo999/Space-Invaders-for-MiSTer
The rbf is still in lite version only ( No full version of Quartus). The source files will compile on the full version to use the scaler.
Changes - I noticed just after updating that I changed the clock files to 40 20 10 and 5 from the original so it does run slightly faster than original.
OSD options to change some of the dip switches.
VGA screen shows the original sideways screen.

albconde
Atariator
Atariator

Postby albconde » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:53 pm

tested space invaders .
works fine, some small details, if you reset the core some garbage appears in the borders.
Joystick Works but only direction and fire , not coin ,player1 or player2
thanks for your work.

oldgit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby oldgit » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:40 pm

albconde wrote:tested space invaders .
works fine, some small details, if you reset the core some garbage appears in the borders.
Joystick Works but only direction and fire , not coin ,player1 or player2
thanks for your work.

Thanks for testing - The non working keys - for some reason I used joystick5 for fire and 8 for the coin/start. I can change these to 4 5 and 6 like most other arcade cores.
I have a problem with updating the core as whilst working on it today I left it running and had lunch. On return the hdmi screen was blank and the vga screen comes on and off every 2 seconds. It even does this on downloading the core from github. Not sure what's going on but will attempt to get to the bottom of it when back from Hols.

Return to “MiSTer”