I/O Board

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: I/O Board

Postby jft » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:44 pm

So I have enough parts now to get the mini toslink working. However I have an issue after testing some cores. My apologies if this is not the correct topic to post this, as I think this is something in the cores themselves, or settings...

In the Genesis and TG16 cores, the sound is very distorted. In the NES and SMS cores, the sound is clear. I tested using the latest cores (as of last night), and I admit I didnt have time to test the analog audio output, or a different receiver (will test later - I'm away from home for a few days). I figure the LED I chose to use works OK as NES and SMS sound fine (going by the assumption that as it is digital, it would either work or not work at all, right?) but could be wrong.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:11 pm

As long as it works ok with some cores, then problem not in LED but in core.

314ter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 314ter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:53 am

Hi all,

Newbie here with some question regarding assembly. PLease forgive me if this has been answerd, but i Couldn't find it in this thread...

I've just received my IO board (v.5.2) and sdram. Will try to put it all together, but I notice that the IO board is less wide than the DE10 Nano board.
This will lead to oneor two corners being unsupported when the IO board is put on de DE10.
What do you guys do to remedy this, or recommend I do about it; is it safe to leave it like this? I am afraid using the buttons on the board will bend it to much?

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am

It's save to do so - just use the 2 screw positions on the VGA/HDMI side.
The board is a little bit shorter as you can get them quite cheap in China if you don't exceed 100mmx100mm - therefor Sorgelig has done the layout like this.

314ter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 314ter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:07 pm

Okay, thanks for the reply. I will not "create" some sort of standoff for the unsupported corner then.

(By the way, yesterday I received the sdram you sent me :thumbs: !)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:59 am

I've posted gerbers for v5.5 XL: https://www.pcbway.com/project/sharepro ... iSTer.html

It's exactly the same board as v5.5 but longer by 7mm to cover other 2 screws holes.
As it's over 100mm the manufacturing price is higher.

arithmaldor
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby arithmaldor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks sorgelig! This will work nicely with some taller connectors I found that might make production easier.

Also, with the connectors used on the BOM on the wiki, that side rests on top of the Ethernet jack for support.

MysteryM
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MysteryM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 pm

A quick question about the io board. Some suppliers sell io boards with onboard sdram. if you stuck in an sdram slim module as well, does this increase the ram to over 32mb, or, are you not allowed to use both together?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 am

You cannot use both.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:46 am

maybe the toslink can be added again since the board is longer?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 am

warham wrote:maybe the toslink can be added again since the board is longer?

1) XL board has the same features and is not supposed to supersede original board. All components have the same place, so if there is any case, it will be compatible with both boards.
2) Toslink isn't disappear. It's mixed with 3.5mm. So just use 3.5mm TOSLink adapter.

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:40 am

jft wrote:In the Genesis and TG16 cores, the sound is very distorted. In the NES and SMS cores, the sound is clear.

Sorgelig wrote:As long as it works ok with some cores, then problem not in LED but in core.

I did a quick digital audio retest with the latest cores, same result (additionally the SNES core also sounds distorted). I dont have the ability this morning to test digital audio on another receiver.
I also switched over to analog audio and tested SNES, Genesis, TG16, NES and SMS - ALL are clean and clear audio on analog.

With those results, I ask my original question again: Does this indicate at all that the LED is the problem? or are they truly separate outputs with different behaviors in each core? (If the latter is true, what is wrong in the core to cause that issue?)

warham wrote:maybe the toslink can be added again since the board is longer?

Toslink is there on 5.5 - it is just a mini toslink that is shared with the 3.5mm analog jack (Sorgelig mentioned this already). Google "Mini Toslink Adapter" and you will see exactly what you need to get digital audio out of the 5.5 board.

GreyRogue
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby GreyRogue » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:10 pm

jft wrote:In the Genesis and TG16 cores, the sound is very distorted. In the NES and SMS cores, the sound is clear.

It might not mean anything, but I notice that NES and SMS use unsigned audio (AUDIO_S=0), while Genesis, TG16, and SNES use signed.

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:38 pm

That is certainly interesting. Can anyone build a version of the Genesis core with unsigned audio for me to test?

Poobah

Postby Poobah » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Are there any known cores that output serial data on the I/O board v5.5 serial (USB) connector?
I have several boards made up, and I'd like to test this functionality before I ship them

Thanks!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:09 pm

It's just wires. What can be broken there?
As far as i know only Altair8800 core currently supports it.

Poobah

Postby Poobah » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Sorgelig wrote:It's just wires. What can be broken there?
As far as i know only Altair8800 core currently supports it.

Yes, true, not much that could be bad.
I always like to test when i do work for other people.

Man1ac
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Man1ac » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Guys, I have searched the forum, but can't find an answer relating to the IO 5.5 board, when I got mine, it shipped with no fan, so I have a 5v Noctua 40x40x10 fan I can use, the problem I have though, is I cannot attach the fan to the board as neither the rubber vibration protection mounts and metal screws that are normally used for attaching to a PC case are too large to fit the holes in the IO board.
Now the question - are the fan screw holes in the IO board M3 sized? And where does one get these screws or nuts and bolts to allow me to attach the fan to the board more securely? I am in the UK if that helps providing a location where any can be purchased.
Thanks in advance. :cheers:
Man1ac

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 am

Man1ac wrote:I have a 5v Noctua 40x40x10 fan I can use, the problem I have though, is I cannot attach the fan to the board as neither the rubber vibration protection mounts and metal screws that are normally used for attaching to a PC case are too large to fit the holes in the IO board.

I had this same question and kept forgetting to ask it - as I have a Noctua as well and noticed the same problem.
What is everyone using to secure the Noctua to their IO board?

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:22 am

I'm using this Screw and this Nut when mounting the Noctua - people order without get this parts as mounting kit (together with the parts for the fan connector).
The Screw Head perfectly fits into the holes and from length point of view it has exactly the right length.

Man1ac
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Man1ac » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Thaase, wow, thanks, they are so cheap, i think i'll add enough for a few boards, just to be safe..

Yeah, the Noctua cable is really long, but I think that'll be a project for another day, the good thing is that the three pin to two pin converter works.

Thanks for your help, it sure gets me out of a situation for now.. :lol:

:cheers:

vorvek
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby vorvek » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm

I just used four small blobs of Sugru in the fan screw holes to get it attached to the board. I guess any other moldable glue will do. Removing it afterwards is not too messy either.

Can't say I hear it unless I'm directly next to it, even without vibration pads. I'm using a 20mm Noctua, too, which I think it's supposedly a bit noisier than the 10mm.

Poobah

Postby Poobah » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 am

I use a 12mm M3 cap screw and nut

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:31 am

Newbie here.

I have already been playing my de10 nano with mister and a OTG USB hub connected. The keyboard and USB controller work with no problems.

I just received 2x AIO complete boards v5.3 from retro shop. Once I have 1 of the boards attached to the de10 nano. I plug in my usb hub with keyboard/controller and boot up mister. It seems that mister boots as it should but my keyboard and controller are unresponsive. Am I supposed to change something on the DE10 Nano or in a config file to accommodate the AIO board?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:26 pm

cloudd wrote:Newbie here.

I have already been playing my de10 nano with mister and a OTG USB hub connected. The keyboard and USB controller work with no problems.

I just received 2x AIO complete boards v5.3 from retro shop. Once I have 1 of the boards attached to the de10 nano. I plug in my usb hub with keyboard/controller and boot up mister. It seems that mister boots as it should but my keyboard and controller are unresponsive. Am I supposed to change something on the DE10 Nano or in a config file to accommodate the AIO board?

no any changes are required. I/O board has no relation to USB functionality.

Return to “MiSTer”