I/O Board

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: I/O Board thread

Postby gagadagatika » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Hi-end jumper for P5: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dip-sip-switches/2799847/
;)

That’s some fancy jumper :D

Regarding RS-Online: I figured that I can't buy from RS-Online because I am a private person. I don't know if that is a Germany exclusive thing because of our VAT or if that is the general case. However, RS-Online informed me that they have another shop for not business related purchases here in Germany: https://www.eibtron.com/epages/eibtron.sf/secd658d4ae1a/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eibtron/Products/279-9847 .. but they are also more expensive. I ended up buying the vertical slider switches from there.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 pm

gagadagatika wrote:That’s some fancy jumper :D

Regarding RS-Online: I figured that I can't buy from RS-Online because I am a private person. I don't know if that is a Germany exclusive thing because of our VAT or if that is the general case. However, RS-Online informed me that they have another shop for not business related purchases here in Germany: https://www.eibtron.com/epages/eibtron.sf/secd658d4ae1a/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eibtron/Products/279-9847 .. but they are also more expensive. I ended up buying the vertical slider switches from there.

It should be a country specific restriction. I'm also private person, but can freely buy in RS-Online Taiwan. Prices in RS-Online sometimes more expensive than on Mouser. But what i like in RS-Online - their shipment is free. So i can buy for example 5 battery holders only with free shipment. I believe it's also country specific. Probably EU and especially US have big choice of component shops.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 pm

About switch:
It's produced by several companies under different part numbers but fully compatible.
for example this switch is the same: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/1981434

Parameters to search the model:
style: DPDT ON-ON
2mm spacing in row
2.54(2.50)mm spacing between rows
~8.2mm between case holes.
Right angle.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 pm

I've made pic from datasheet:
switch.png

so, any switch with the same footprint can be used.

Actually, requirements can be relaxed. Only spacing in row, between rows and right angle required. Even case legs aren't important due to 6 pins. Just make sure it physically fits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Sorgelig wrote:About switch:
It's produced by several companies under different part numbers but fully compatible.
for example this switch is the same: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/1981434

Parameters to search the model:
style: DPDT ON-ON
2mm spacing in row
2.54(2.50)mm spacing between rows
~8.2mm between case holes.
Right angle.

I had the same switch in the beginning, but Digikey has only 3 of them in stock right now. Hopefully, they stock that one up soon, but as you said, there are also multiple other switches with the same footprint. I will update the IO-Board wiki page tomorrow with a new component list and BOM for version 5.x and after that, I will sit down and do the same for the new RTC Board.... that stuff is pretty time-consuming :D

TorsteinP
Atariator
Atariator

Postby TorsteinP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:42 am

I tried the fan that gagadagatika recommended. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Much better when running on 3.3V.

I've ordered Noiseblocker BlackSilent XM2: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblocker-blacksilent-fan-xm2-fan-40mm-3800rpm-fg-018-nb.html
Only 14 db noise and 3800 RPM. Doesn't move as much air as the other one, but I don't think it matters. The chip isn't that hot.

THaase
Atarian
Atarian

Postby THaase » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 am

I've ordered Noiseblocker BlackSilent XM2: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblo ... 18-nb.html
Only 14 db noise and 3800 RPM. Doesn't move as much air as the other one, but I don't think it matters. The chip isn't that hot.

Datasheet says that this is a 12V type (voltage range:7,5-13,8).
Can you report if this one is reliable starting up with 5V please?

TorsteinP
Atariator
Atariator

Postby TorsteinP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 am

THaase wrote:
I've ordered Noiseblocker BlackSilent XM2: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblo ... 18-nb.html

Datasheet says that this is a 12V type (voltage range:7,5-13,8).
Can you report if this one is reliable starting up with 5V please?

Oops!
Didn't see that one. Well, I'll try it anyway :)

THaase
Atarian
Atarian

Postby THaase » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:37 am

Maybe the BlackSilentPro PM-1 (also Noisblocker) is an alternative ..... this starts at 4.5V.
Disadvantage: More expensive (12€ insted of 5€ - I don't really care) and 20mm instead of 10mm.

Btw. I don't own a Mister at the moment (just assemble my shopping carts) - on the picture it looks like having some more space to the top of the SDRam Board from the IO Board if you assemble the SDRam Board vertical.

Can somebody please measure?
If the space is about 20mm this might be a good alternative (2800 rpm@12V -> ~1200 rpm@5V) and Noise @12V:13,9 dB ....
So it will be really silent at 5V.

TorsteinP
Atariator
Atariator

Postby TorsteinP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am

The main power input to DE1-nano is 12V. I'll check if there somewhere to connect fan there.

THaase
Atarian
Atarian

Postby THaase » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:04 am

Right,
but the Power Supply on the IO Board is 5V - therefore I would like to run at 5V (don't like flying leads)

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Vertical SDRAM board is higher than 10mm fan.
Probably 20mm fan will be ok. May be couple mm higher than the board.
Anyway, it's up to personal preference as MiSTer has no official case(yet). Originally SDRAM is supposed to protrude outside the case for swapping.

THaase
Atarian
Atarian

Postby THaase » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:16 am

Sorgelig wrote:Vertical SDRAM board is higher than 10mm fan.
Probably 20mm fan will be ok. May be couple mm higher than the board.

Thanks for the information - and sorry to bother you with all my stupid questions.
You are doing a great job!
And I'm very thankful for all the work you are doing and all the time you spend.

Sorgelig wrote:Anyway, it's up to personal preference as MiSTer has no official case(yet). Originally SDRAM is supposed to protrude outside the case for swapping.

Sorry to bother you again:
But why should I do so?
Either the core supports SDRam or not - why would I like to swap?

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:24 am

THaase wrote:But why should I do so?
Either the core supports SDRam or not - why would I like to swap?

To replace it with SRAM module or other type. That was original idea. Acrually, i don't think swapping the modules is a good idea, but who knows.

jcw
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: I/O Board

Postby jcw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:48 pm

I came across this Arduino shield: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282097593914

s-l1600.jpg

Could this be useful for MiSTer, in combination with an SRAM card? The µSD could come in handy as FPGA-side storage, for example.

It'll interfere with FPGA airflow, but perhaps a fan can blow across, underneath the shield?
I realize that any pin changes to the current setup imply having to re-build the bitstreams, which may be a huge drawback...

Update: here's an even lower-cost lcd+µSD combo shield - https://www.ebay.com/itm/162705598058
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 am

If you use Arduino shields then you won't be able to use SDRAM board.
Latest I/O board allows to add pass-through arduino header for unused pins where you can connect some arduino boards using wires.

RussellCofIdaho
Atarian
Atarian

Postby RussellCofIdaho » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:09 pm

jcw wrote:I came across this Arduino shield:
Update: here's an even lower-cost lcd+µSD combo shield - https://www.ebay.com/itm/162705598058

This is something amazing about this project; I have several of these already for Arduino projects, also usable (to some extent) for the MiSTer!

Great work so far guys, thanks for thinking of these details and 'imagining the possibilities'!
Russell Courtenay

Idaho - USA

jcw
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jcw » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Sorgelig wrote:To replace it with SRAM module or other type. That was original idea.

@sorgelig - Have you considered 10ns static RAM, say 512K x 8 or 2048K x 8?
This would fit on the 2x20 header without extra pins.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 pm

jcw wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:To replace it with SRAM module or other type. That was original idea.

@sorgelig - Have you considered 10ns static RAM, say 512K x 8 or 2048K x 8?
This would fit on the 2x20 header without extra pins.

512KB of SRAM won't be enough for some cores like Amiga, SAM Coupe, etc.. 2MB of SRAM is very expensive and again won't be enough for some cores. Overall RAM module less than 8MB will a bottleneck for MiSTer platform as it will limit some cores.
FPGA on DE10-nano has a lot of BRAM, so in most cases it's enough to emulate a high performance memory.
SDRAM is a golden choice between performance and capacity.

jcw
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jcw » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks for explaining the trade-offs. Yeah, I was just exploring some thoughts.

I'm looking for a way to get more hands-on experience with MiSTer development. Have been able to re-compile the Linux side, and also just got FpgaGen-lite built w/ Quartus 17.0.1 - my hand-wired hookup to the double-PMOD VGA adapter I have isn't working yet, so I can't verify it actually runs, but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually (I don't have an IO board at the moment).

One of my interests is with non-gaming setups, like plain Z80 + CP/M, so I'm toying with the idea of stripping say the ZX-Spectrum core to act as an Altair-like old-school keyboard+screen setup. It would need no expansion boards, and I could get some real-world experience with the whole setup, to tinker with clocks and perhaps a DDR3-HPS based memory setup, just to see how it behaves. It might also be useful for others as baseline check when starting to build up a MiSTer setup from scratch.

(end of ramble...)

yoramro
Atarian
Atarian

Postby yoramro » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:47 am

Hi

Novice question:

What is the difference between I/O board v2.7 available in OshPark and shown in the wiki to v5.2 that is available from PCBWay?
I've noticed the fan opening, but besides that, are there circuits improvements?
Sorry if this was asked before, but I can't find the answer.

regards

Yoram

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 am

The main addition since v2.7 is secondary SD card.
Due to heating problem having the fan with heatsink is highly advised. Some cores are getting unstable due to heat.
That's why I/O Board v5.x is the best option.

Actually i've forgot about OSH. I will update it. I didn't know some one is still using it. Prices for PCB aren't good on OSH.
PCBWay has links with new I/O boards.

yoramro
Atarian
Atarian

Postby yoramro » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Thank you for the quick response

Yoram

Return to “MiSTer”