Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiSTer - Case v1.0

Postby NML32 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks, the updated MiSTer case with fan vents looks good. :cheers:

IMG_0497.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NegSol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby NegSol » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for showing your print result - I tried to keep the re-printing effort to a minimum ;-)

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 am

How about case which can fit vertical SDRAM and I/O board?

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 pm

@NegSol:
What printer you use? Prusa i3 clone with "open-air" construction?

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:42 pm

I use a flashforge creator pro. All metal with enclosed build room.

--

For the vertical ram board, I could design a new case. However, I do not plan to print it ( i only have horizontal boards). Also it will be more bulky. We will see.

As I have no io board I do not have decent measurements required to get the right front plate alignment. Also I am kind of reluctant to build an io board that I do not really need (I myself completely prefer the hdmi output and the key shortcuts for resetting the MISTer). Maybe I will change my mind in few weeks :-)

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm not ready to spend ~800USD for flashforge. May be in the future, but for first 3D printer i want something cheaper. I will see how this technology is friendly and do i want to buy something significantly expensive.
Will quality of case much worse in Prusa i3?

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:53 pm

No - quality should be the same - The flashforge are pre-build therefor easier for to start with. Also there are solution from flashforge starting much lower. I guess a Prusa i3 is an excellent choice. It takes up more room though, but if this is not an issue, go for it.

---
New video showcasing the new part :-)
https://youtu.be/-ESpNzQiJkY

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 pm

@NegSol, my printer (Qidi Tech 1) looks very similar to your Flashforge. I was wondering if you prep your build plate before printing with PLA? Sometimes I have issues getting the first layer to stick unless I use blue painter's tape wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. It looks like my print bed has the same material as yours.

Any tips or suggestions? I'd much prefer to print directly on the print bed.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Regarding the print bed I can only tell you, what I have already posted (see above). I read reports about the print bed of the Qidi Tech 1 not working. Think about a buildtak pad. Should be easy to just glue on top. I use two piece of paper and make sure I can feel the rubbing of both plate and extruded tip on th paper (has to leave marks on the paper). I actually never printed on Kapton or blue tape. Just glass and glue stick, maybe that is something to try for you. I prefer the buildtak stuff. You can get the pads also from flashforge as a replacement part. It should fit on the Qidi too.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Here comes the bulky one :-)
https://youtu.be/7-sfN-_1f-M --> MiSTer - Case Universal v1.0

The "remix" fits all SDRAM daughter board configuration horizontal and vertical.

.STLs can be found here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2499274
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:58 pm

@Negsol, It looks like you left the fan vents and mount off. Not needed with this case design?

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:24 pm

I guess the fan will be close to the fpga chip so it should work with the now longer side vents.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 pm

How would a fan get mounted with the new case design? I don't recall seeing a way to mount a fan on the DE10 Nano board.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:19 am

It reminds me of the Apple II floppy disk drive cases! Very nice! :)

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:47 am

NML32 wrote:How would a fan get mounted with the new case design? I don't recall seeing a way to mount a fan on the DE10 Nano board.

I will think about it. I could make another top shell witch an integrated fan mounting option for this one too.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:53 pm

So I updated the Uni Case Design v1.0 and added a top shell with fan mount and top vents. Everything should print as with the slim case. I left all eight fan mounting clamps in the design. Feel free to break off the clamps you do not need. Some might break off on their own depending on the layer adhesion of your print. :roll:

Anyway I would like to hear your comments or suggestions - and of course would like to see some pics of prints :mrgreen:

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Originally, vertical SDRAM module supposed to protrude outside the box. It's supposed to be extracted and replaced by other module without opening the box.
If you have vertical SDRAM module, then you can realize my original idea. Those 2 big holes on SDRAM PCB should hold 2 levers with eccentric holes like on retro modular system. To extract the module, you need to turn these levers outside and it will pull the module out.
Hope you understand what i've wrote ;)

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:20 pm

:) Sounds interesting. Maybe I will experiment and try to slim down the case with a module protruding design. I am also thinking about adapting the front plates for the I/O board as soon as I get my hands on one.

Even when I like the idea of a quick swap system for modules, I have some doubts that the pin connectors will make this an easy feat. 8)

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 pm

NegSol wrote:Even when I like the idea of a quick swap system for modules, I have some doubts that the pin connectors will make this an easy feat.

that's where need to play. At first, scrap an idea of universal case. Make it narrower. Then add frame around the 2x20 connector, so socket on SDRAM board will be guided directly to pins. It can be part of case. You don't need to make this frame go to far from pins. Just make it as a warp around 3 edges of connector near pins.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:02 pm

To complete my series of v1.0 cases, I made a slim case for the vertical SDRAM daughter board configuration. The fan size is again 40x40x10 mm.

The memory is sticking out but maybe somebody likes the idea ;-)
Maybe someone wants to jump on the idea of a mechanical design for securing and ejecting the boards (mentioned above).

All files are downloadable and remixable.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2503438
https://youtu.be/1uD6FMMTeG4
Last edited by NegSol on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Case should be a higher to fit the I/O board connectors. I know you don't have it, but it's required for original idea, so the SDRAM board won't protrude too much. Only part with 3mm holes of SDRAM board should be visible. So, the 2 levers with eccentric mount will be able to pull the SDRAM out when you turn them outward. These levers i think can be also printed, although i'm not sure if material is strong enough to pull the board out.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Thank you for your comment. I am sure that I will do another v2.0 case design when I get my hands on an I/O board. I then will think about your idea again. PLA is not the best material for mechanically strong parts. So any form of lever will break off easily. ABS or PETG would better suited. Also I am quiet sure that we will see other case ideas popping up soon. :P

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 pm

I think your 3D printer is advanced enough to print ABS. Levers are tiny, so won't take much material. The case may will need some hardening ribs under so it won't be smashed by levers while pulling the board :)
Another version is to add simple handle to SDRAM board using the same SDRAM board holes, so the board can be simply pulled by this handle.
But levers will look more like retro style :)

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:33 am

Update - MiSTer - Case Slim v1.0 (vertical SDRAM mount only)
Updated a small inconsistency in the bottom shell - please re-download.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:24 pm

I've just ordered Prusa i3 clone.
Since i never touched 3D printing before, can you give me initial advises?
What software you use?
The files you release can be modified or not?
3D modeling looks complicated to me. So i hope i can start from modifying existing models.

Return to “MiSTer”