https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

MiSTer - Case v1.0

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 am

MiSTer - Case v1.0

This is a case for the DE10 Nano board. The case was made for the MiSTer FPGA project.

The case prints well in PLA. Supports are advised for the SD-Card slot section only (extra STL is provided). For the logo make sure you adjust your printer settings to extra fine. Logo can be glued on later.

.STL files are hosted on thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2470432

YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=C61Wh9HI6mk

comments are welcome :)
Last edited by NegSol on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NegSol

Re: MISTer - Case v1.0

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am

For convenience I added the .STL files:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mgreima
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mgreima » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 am

Looks good, has anyone tested how hot the cyclone gets?

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:43 am

Not bad!

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Heat is vented through the openings and slots - no problem for me so far. I will monitor it and will report it, if I should encounter any issues.

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gehstock » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Good work(Videos and Case), this Enthusiasm I would have wanted for the Mist. Of more than one Person. Time to buy a DE10 Nano Board.
Not only my Cores for MIST/MISTer : https://github.com/Gehstock

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:45 pm

@NegSol, what size screws do you recommend?

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 am

Both type: 2 mm Dia; 4-5 mm length self-tapping
The PCB screws should have a larger head.
The case screw next to the Ethernet port should be shortest (max. 4 mm) as there is a pin header next to the screw hole.

I added the relevant pictures as attachments to this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks for the info.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:51 pm

I added an .STL file to thingiverse combining the Ethernet plate and the logo (see attached zip file).

I still think it works best when you use a different color for the logo and glue it on afterwards. Painting it after the print is an option too

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Great job on the case!! I’m almost done printing all the parts, I’ll post some pics when it’s done.

Edit: Added photos, I still need to get exterior screws. I haven't been successful in printing the "MiSTer" logo. :(
The dark areas on the orange case are from the blue painter's tape I use on the print bed and cleaned off nicely with isopropyl alcohol. I didn't realize it was there until I uploaded the photos.
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:39 am

by the way, since it's about the logo, the correct writing is "MiSTer", not "MISTer"

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Nice print I like the color :-)

About the logo. I did not realize I used wrong spelling of MiSTer and MiST all along. Sorry for any hurt feelings ;-)

Also I like the traditional AMIGA upper case logo stile so I guess I will stick with my design. However, I will add models with the correct upper lower case spelling shortly. Just in case :-)

Cheers

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:28 pm

@NegSol, any tips/settings you could give me on printing the MiSTer logo? I’m still kind of new to 3D printing and I just switched from using a Cube 3 to a Qidi tech I,
I’m using FlashPrint software. I just can’t seem to get the logo to stick to the bed while printing.
I’ve tried using blue painter’s tape wiped down with rubbing alcohol also tried glue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:27 pm

As for printing the logo - I must say that it is pretty tricky, as it only is only 5 layers total when printed in "hyper" setting 0,08mm with first layer 0,20mm. Your best bet could be to print the plate with the logo already attached (see above). This way the plate would stick, because of its size.

Another option is to use the flashPrint setting I used. Qidi tech I should be quiet similar to my Creator Pro. I use the blue BuildTak like stuff on my plate and ramp up the bed to 50 °C. PLA sticks to this carbon plate like mad so no need for glue.

When I print on glass I use normal water based glue stick - I only used it for PETG though.

So back to my setting - I attached the x3g file (printed in Flashforge default PLA setting hyper). You can view it with flashprint (don't print it - as it is for the creator pro). I print in both direction x-axis and y-axis. The object is tricky to get of the plate after the print. I always break one so I print two. Also use pre-extrusion of at least 80 mm to get the the stuff flowing. I use 205 °C for PLA (hot and sticky). 50 °C for the bed itself.

Also you could try scaling the object uni-dimensional in Z-axis to get a thicker object. This would help avoid breakage after the print too.

Hope this helps :-)

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks for the tips and file.

eeun

Postby eeun » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:34 pm

NegSol wrote:I added an .STL file to thingiverse combining the Ethernet plate and the logo (see attached zip file).

I still think it works best when you use a different color for the logo and glue it on afterwards. Painting it after the print is an option too

If you're using a 2.x version of Cura for slicing (or running OctoPrint), there's the option "pause at layer" that will allow you to swap filament colour once you get to the logo height.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Added new files for the MiSTer logo and front plate with logo for those who want the correct spelling with lower case "i" (all files ending with iLogo). :angel:

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 pm

i wish i would have a 3D printer.
Any recommendation what kind of 3D printer is better to buy?
I'm thinking to look for it on Aliexpress

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:38 pm

It really depends on what you want to print. If you just want to print PLA you could get a Prusa i3 clone. But if you want a choice of material (ABS or PETG (stronger)) then you will need one with a heated bed and possible closed build room (to hold temperature steady). Also consider if you want to build the printer yourself or just want it to work. I like the flashforge creater pro series. They are replicator clones and really sturdy pre-build printers.

eeun

Postby eeun » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:03 pm

The i3 clones are a good choice for a cheap workhorse. I've got an Anet A8 and a Monoprice Mini. The Mini prints right out of the box with no assembly, but has a smaller build area. The A8 kit was okay, but with a little work and small expense it can become an excellent printer.

I bought the i3 clone from Gearbest. I'd recommend a metal frame, as the plexi frames flex a bit too much, especially under belt tension and need extra supports or mods to be stable.

Both printers are fine with PLA, ABS, PETG and (with simple modding) flexibles like TPU.

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 am

Sorgelig wrote:i wish i would have a 3D printer.
Any recommendation what kind of 3D printer is better to buy?
I'm thinking to look for it on Aliexpress

Cheap ones - you'll have to "debug" and "fix" lots of things. Ready to print out of the box and produce consistent quality - already costs $2k. Lots of play with CADs, then with slicer software, then with materials, temperature for hotend, heatbed... oach... Save time for MiSTer =)))

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am

i'm not going to buy it for $2K. You are exaggerating the problem, IMHO. For hobby $200-$250 printer should be ok. Especially if you are engineer and can tweak/repair it time after time.
But i'm not going to buy it soon. It's not so urgent. I will use A1200 case for MiSTer.

NegSol

Re: MiSTer - Case v1.0

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Update

I added a new top shell for the case integrating a spot for a 40x40x10 fan right above the FPGA chip. It helps with cooling and leaves enough room to place a decent heightened heatsink (with max. of 10.2mm height) on top of the FPGA. There are actually two files.

MISTer v1 Top Shell Fan.stl is the one I used - I broke of two of the clamps as it is really snug but otherwise it is a perfect fit!
MISTer v1 Top Shell Fan_L.stl is another version with 0.2 mm longer clamps. I made if somebody need some extra space :mrgreen: ;-P - Longer clamps would affect the heatsink option.

NegSol

Re: MiSTer - Case v1.0

Postby NegSol » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:12 pm

some more pics

Return to “MiSTer”