MiSTer - Case v1.0

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: MiSTer - Case v1.0

Postby NegSol » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Maybe I am not the best to give you advice on this. I got me a printer that came with printing software ("slicer") bundled up with.

In general there are a lot of free tools free tools available online.
For prusa I3 I guess "Slic3r Prusa Edition" is the the way to go http://www.prusa3d.com/slic3r-prusa-edition/
It will work with the clones - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7JuMa35IjA

For modeling I like using my old 123d by Autodesk but they discontinued the support for it.
My go to alternative is Netfabb by Autodesk. Here you can get a trial or a so call "non-licensed" version (former basic version) which you will get, when you cancel all license pop-ups. It will work see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QRvS9xdNzw

There are a lot of good guides only - I recommend the guides on simplify 3d (I do not use the software though).
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/articles/

Also https://www.thingiverse.com/ by Makerbot covers all 3d object needs and has a nice community.

In general .stl files are all you need for modding the objects. Depending on the CAD software you use you will have to covert the objects into proprietary formats to gain access to advanced transformations. Meshmixer come in handy for this stuff.
You will convert .stl files using your slicer into g-code which is the motor instructions and all commands for your printer. Normally you will not be able to use other people's g-code as the commands have to fit your machine and the material you are printing with (speed, temperature, nozzle width, available build plate configuration etc.). It all sounds complicated but it is quiet easy, as long as you start small.

Also FDM printing is not like normal paper printing or CNC. 3d objects have to be designed in a certain way to save material and ensure good printing results. So best to start with stuff that is proven to be printable (see thingiverse).

Hope this advice is of use to you :D

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:09 pm

MiSTer - Case Universal v1.2

I remixed the Universal Case for the MiSTer to now support the I/O-Board 2.7 .

I increased also the distance between bottom and the pbc to allow for more air flow. Only the top shell of the case remains unchanged and can be used with this version 1.2.

The original screws of the DE10 Nano can now be used to fix the DE10 Nano inside the case (see pictures). If you find this to be too difficult try using sharp screws to prepare the holes. It works!

Enjoy! :cheers:

All files can be found on thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2527243

-------------------------------------

https://youtu.be/s6JOXqiOqfw

-------------------------------------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Looks like case ate too much hamburgers :mrgreen:

With heatsing and fan you don't need to keep space under the board, so you can easily shrink the case by around 10mm.
New I/O board will have fan mounting holes, so upper part may be also can be a bit slimmer.

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:25 am

Negsol, does this case fit the vertical SDRAM board?

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:35 am

Newsdee wrote:Negsol, does this case fit the vertical SDRAM board?

Yes, it does. :D

Although, someone has to test this. I do not have the vertical board.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

@Negsol, are you having any heat issues with the new case and I/O board?
I went from using the slim case with fan, heat sink, and memory add-on. Now I am using your latest case design v1.2 with fan, heat sink, memory board, and I/O board. I think I may be having heat issues most noticeably with 486 core. The screen starts to jiggle a bit, and King's Quest won't load correctly or locks up after the MiSTer has been on for a while.

Have you noticed this since moving to the new case design with I/0 board installed?

I forgot to mention, I'm still using HDMI.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm

I did not encounter any heat issue yet. I only tested the ao486 core with the case continuously for an 1hour. Playing some Spear of Destiny and installing windows 3.11. Actually I felt the case itself and it was much colder. This of course was expected as it is nearly twice as big. I used a 12V fan at 5V. This gives some decent airflow. I did not use a heatsink yet - maybe try without the heatsink. As funny as this may sound, bad heatsinks or badly installed heatsinks can lead to higher temp in chips. The chip package itself is pretty good at getting rid of heat, when you apply some air.

Remember I only tested for one hour, so no burn in happens on my end yet.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Also please test the direction of your airflow. It should point at the chip not away from it. So it should suck air onto the chip. Mixing up polarity or mounting it the other way could end up with a situation, that could lead to too much heat.

But again, I can not troubleshoot this remotely. Maybe more tests on my end will help (not before the weekend).

Actually most cores display vga an hdmi at the same time. This look funky if you hook up two monitors at once. Even though I found the menu core not giving a particular compatible vga out signal. Strange really.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 pm

NegSol wrote:Also please test the direction of your airflow. It should point at the chip not away from it. So it should suck air onto the chip. Mixing up polarity or mounting it the other way could end up with a situation, that could lead to too much heat.

That may be my problem, my fan is blowing air out of the case. I'll try flipping the fan and see how that goes.

Thanks

Newsdee
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Newsdee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 am

I've sent the Thingyverse files to a local 3D print shop and will see how it goes. Looking forward to having that nice case! :)

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:05 pm

NML32 wrote:
NegSol wrote:Also please test the direction of your airflow. It should point at the chip not away from it. So it should suck air onto the chip. Mixing up polarity or mounting it the other way could end up with a situation, that could lead to too much heat.

That may be my problem, my fan is blowing air out of the case. I'll try flipping the fan and see how that goes.

Thanks

Update: I think the fan I'm using is too weak and not close enough to the chip with the newly designed case.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Sorry to here this :( - Maybe you could add some shims to get it closer to the chip?

I will do some testing with my setup later this WE. But Again everything looks good for me so far.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:25 pm

For what it is worth I release my .stl files for the logo I printed. :angel:
I used a dual extrusion method for it to get the letters firmly sticking to the background.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2536085

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:27 pm

About the fan distance. Maybe it make a difference to have I/O-Board installed like I do now. I guess cooling the board will also help to keep the main DE10 board cooler. But that is just guessing really.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Fan-only cooling is not effective.
You need to attach a heatsink - it will greatly impove the cooling.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:42 pm

You are right. I have a heat sink lying around. So will will get to it soon. I just want to test without first, so I can optimize the case a bit (if necessary).

Return to “MiSTer”