MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:55 am

NML32 wrote:Is there a way to eject the floppy disk out of the a0486 core?

Yes. Press backspace while choosing the image. This works in any MiSTer core.
Last edited by Sorgelig on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:57 am

alfishe wrote:

As I remember there is a standard mechanism for all cores:
- first Enter press on floppy drive item in OSD ejects it
- next Enter press allows to select next floppy image

this is true only for Minimig.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:27 am

Sorgelig wrote:

Yes. Press backspace while choosing the image. This works in any MiSTer core.

kolla
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby kolla » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:10 pm

Sorgelig wrote:ordered new version of I/O board reflecting recent trend :)

I was going to ask if this was the two daughterboards made into one, but I guess not - the SDRAM card is still separate? :)
-- kolla

PeFClic
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby PeFClic » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Some news from my heatsink : works rather well.
I've only put it on the FPGA without any thermal pad or thermal grease, neither the fan : the board is not as hot as before.

For the cores :
- minimig : the core has some glitches : the kickstart rom produces bad colors and I've to restart it ;
- NES core : the sound is nearly all times missing.
- xbox 360 gamepad support : when you try to configure the joystick in OSD, it's very difficult to not register one DPAD direction for two emulated joysticks direction.
One direction could register even when you don't push this direction on the DPAD.

The output on HDMI is gorgeous though :D

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:24 pm

kolla wrote:I was going to ask if this was the two daughterboards made into one, but I guess not - the SDRAM card is still separate? :)

SDRAM is not included.

PeFClic wrote:- minimig : the core has some glitches : the kickstart rom produces bad colors and I've to restart it ;

post the picture so i can see the problem.

PeFClic wrote:- NES core : the sound is nearly all times missing.

Give me names of games where sound is missing, so i can test and see if it's really missing, or your TV has compatibility issue with the core as some one already posted earlier.

PeFClic wrote:- xbox 360 gamepad support : when you try to configure the joystick in OSD, it's very difficult to not register one DPAD direction for two emulated joysticks direction.
One direction could register even when you don't push this direction on the DPAD.

I don't recommend to use XBOX360, PS3, PS4 pads. They constantly send sticks positions even if you don't use them. It's not only produces false button triggering, but also spam the ARM part with messages making it too busy.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:26 pm

@PeFClipc, make sure you’re running the latest version of MiniMig. I downloaded the wrong version thinking the last file in the list on GitHub was the latest version. For me, the list wasn’t in order by the latest core so I was downloading a much older core.

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Just a heads-up. Today I have started the assembly of IO boards based on PCB 2.7 version. When I tested first assembled board, I get no video on VGA. I have tried two different LCDs so far, all of them go "Out of range". I have a very bad feeling that VGA connectors I bought are the non-conformat ones, even though they were bought via suggested Aliexpress link and they look like the good ones. I cannt believe I have not checked them prior to assembly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi, the board looks great!

Have you turned on the scandoubler in MiSTer.ini? I had the same problem until I figured that my monitor could not handle the 15KHz Horizontal Sync. On the picture, you have your jumpers set to Sync-On-Green ON. Set both jumpers to OFF. I got no output at all when I used the wrong VGA Connectors on one of my boards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:18 pm

gagadagatika wrote:Hi, the board looks great!

Have you turned on the scandoubler in MiSTer.ini? I had the same problem until I figured that my monitor could not handle the 15KHz Horizontal Sync. On the picture, you have your jumpers set to Sync-On-Green ON. Set both jumpers to OFF. I got no output at all when I used the wrong VGA Connectors on one of my boards.

Thanks for positive eval :D Gosh it took much longer to assemble it than I anticipated. I almost forgot how I hate SMD soldering.

So turns out the VGA connector is correct one, matches pin assigment in gerber. I am missing something very very very obvious.
Is there supposed to be possitive voltage on pin 9? Its obvoiusly connected to pin 2 of power selector 3p pinheader, but there is no voltage on either pin 1 or pin 3 of the same pinheader. Looking at standard VGA port pinout, pin 9 is "unconnected" or even grounded on certain devices. God these things are hard to debug without schematics.
I have tried both settings, SYOG OFF first, then ON (and thats when I took that picture).
I am gonna check settings in MiSTer.ini as you suggest. After that I am probably going to take a break and make one RAM board instead.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:57 pm

As i've mentioned many times, VGA is simply analog video output of what original retro system provided.
It was never intended to provide a true VGA timings!
So, if retro system provides PAL signal, then you will get PAL video timings on VGA connector. Some cores provide correct PAL, some provides correct NTSC video. Some cores provide even out of PAL timings like 48Hz on vertical sync and 320 lines per field instead of 312.
Of course almost none of VGA monitors can support such resolutions.

Many (not all) cores can provide video with double horizontal sync (scandoubler) which makes hsync almost the same as VGA hsync ~31KHz. But vertical sync remains the same - in most cores 50Hz(or even 48Hz). So, again many VGA monitors won't accept this signal. In general, you need to use external video scaler if you want to use any random TV/Monitor. But even scalers won't support some video modes.

This is how original MiST outputs the video.
That's why MiSTer uses internal scaler for HDMI output and you can connect it to any modern TV/Monitor.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:02 pm

here is the latest I/O board:

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm

mpattonm wrote:Is there supposed to be possitive voltage on pin 9? Its obvoiusly connected to pin 2 of power selector 3p pinheader, but there is no voltage on either pin 1 or pin 3 of the same pinheader. Looking at standard VGA port pinout, pin 9 is "unconnected" or even grounded on certain devices.

VGA connector has several sub-standards. By one standard pin9 is supposed to output the power. So, i've reserved this option to output either +5V or +3.3V if you use VGA PWR jumper. It's helpful if you want to make some self-powered VGA converter/adapter. By default i suggest do not connect VGA PWR jumper, and PIN9 won't output the power. If you will use VGA cable or display where PIN9 is shorted to ground, then you will get the short circuit. So, you can use power on PIN9 but with caution, when you really need it.

mpattonm wrote:God these things are hard to debug without schematics.

I don't know what schematics you're talking about but there are PDF files with every add-on board schematics in appropriate folder.

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:14 pm

All sorted out. An update to MiSTer binary and setting change in MiSTer.ini did the trick. At least I know the board(s) are all right.
Thanks for help!

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Sorgelig wrote:So, i've reserved this option to output either +5V or +3.3V if you use VGA PWR jumper. It's helpful if you want to make some self-powered VGA converter/adapter. By default i suggest do not connect VGA PWR jumper, and PIN9 won't output the power.

Right.. but there is 0V on either pin 1 and pin 3 of voltage selector. So putting jumper on does not make difference in my case. In every case, there is simply 0V on VGA pin 9, whether there is a jumper on 5V position, 3.3V position or its off.
Last edited by mpattonm on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 pm

mpattonm wrote:Right.. but there is 0V on either pin 1 and pin 3 of voltage selector. So putting jumper on does not make difference in my case. In every case, there is simply 0V on VGA pin 9, wheterh there is a jumper on 5V position, 3.3V position or its off.

probably VGA connector you use has internal wiring and doesn't connect PIN9 to PCB. Anyway, most likely you don't need this option. I suggest to de-solder VGA PWR completely. Or at least remove the jumper to make sure it won't shorten later in case if this pin routed to other VGA pin in your connector.

By the way, P2 is not a jumper. You don't need it without HW modification explained earlier.

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Well of course. I have measured it again unconnected and it gets 5V and 3.3V as expected. My VGA cable has pin 9 grounded. Gosh... sorry for buzz.
Yep and I got the schematics now.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:31 pm

By the way, since MiSTer has got its own sub-folder, it's more convenient to create separate threads for each core or specific discussion.
We don't need to be inside a single thread anymore.

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Sorgelig wrote:here is the latest I/O board:

That is amazing, I like the vertical pin header! Does it work as expected, are you satisfied with it? I can't wait to build that board, I am probably a bit too excited :D

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:48 pm

gagadagatika wrote:Does it work as expected, are you satisfied with it? I can't wait to build that board, I am probably a bit too excited :D

let's talk about it there: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=32210

bazar77
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bazar77 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Very interesting you progress.

Thanks to all people involved in Mister Project.

Grabulosaure
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Grabulosaure » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:49 pm

Hello !

The FPGA on the Terasic board can get quite hot.

This version of the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis core shows on the top of the screen two gauges, which indicates the FPGA temperature :
http://temlib.org/pub/mister/

- These measurements are not calibrated. There is also a bias between the two gauges.
- These measurements are not linear (no proportional ratio between the value indicated and the temperature)
- The red and green gauges measure temperature at different places on the chip. The red one is closer to the ARM CPUs.

Anyway, it can help test the efficiency of a fan or radiator, different orientations, see if the FPGA is frying when placed inside a box...

(And now, the trick question : How does it work ? ;-) )

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:55 am

Grabulosaure wrote:Hello !

The FPGA on the Terasic board can get quite hot.

This version of the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis core shows on the top of the screen two gauges, which indicates the FPGA temperature :

- These measurements are not calibrated. There is also a bias between the two gauges.
- These measurements are not linear (no proportional ratio between the value indicated and the temperature)
- The red and green gauges measure temperature at different places on the chip. The red one is closer to the ARM CPUs.

Anyway, it can help test the efficiency of a fan or radiator, different orientations, see if the FPGA is frying when placed inside a box...

(And now, the trick question : How does it work ? ;-) )

I was under the impression that the Cyclone V has no built in temperature sensor. I think only Arria and Stratix Chips have those built in :(

Here is information about the Altera Temperature Sensor IP Core: https://www.altera.com/documentation/eis1412131558004.html#eis1412131658598

Do you know where this core comes from or what platform it was initially made for ?

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Grabulosaure wrote:This version of the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis core shows on the top of the screen two gauges, which indicates the FPGA temperature :

It would be helpful if you would point to modified source code instead of binary.

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:19 am

I must be missing something but how come MiSTer (mini MIST) does not run ST... Wasnt MIST first made for ST then Amiga?

Return to “MiSTer”