MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 am

toromand wrote:Did you choose 25mm because of the fan? I believe the chip itself is 22mm, right?
BTW what pins do you use to power the fan?

here is my setup, i've posted earlier but who likes to read previous posts? ;)

actually my heatsink is 28x28 and it's too big. Some surrounding components are higher than FPGA chip, so i had to make a
notch for near capacitor (as you can see in pic).
My measurements show that perfect size of heatsink would be 25x25. You can use smaller heatsink but it won't cover a whole chip. Anyway 22x22 or 23x23 should be fine.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:16 am

If you don't have I/O board, there is another place of +5V source: you can see the brown wire going from USB connector to a small connector near ethernet: +5V - PIN1, GND - PIN10

PeFClic
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby PeFClic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:19 am

Sorgelig wrote:If you don't have I/O board, there is another place of +5V source: you can see the brown wire going from USB connector to a small connector near ethernet: +5V - PIN1, GND - PIN10

Why not simply use the 5v supplied by the Arduino connector ?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 am

Another way to make fan more silent is to use 12V fan connected to 9V on arduino or LTC connector.

PeFClic wrote:Why not simply use the 5v supplied by the Arduino connector ?

why you think 5V on arduino is simpler than 5V on 10pin ADC connecor?

PeFClic
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby PeFClic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:37 am

Sorgelig wrote:Another way to make fan more silent is to use 12V fan connected to 9V on arduino or LTC connector.

PeFClic wrote:Why not simply use the 5v supplied by the Arduino connector ?

why you think 5V on arduino is simpler than 5V on 10pin ADC connecor?

I assume that Arduino boards are not always of strong quality and that the nano board must have some kind of protection, moreover they could harness some power.

toromand
Atari User
Atari User

Postby toromand » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Sorgelig wrote:If you don't have I/O board, there is another place of +5V source: you can see the brown wire going from USB connector to a small connector near ethernet: +5V - PIN1, GND - PIN10

I guess (after the initial comment) you finally got it :)
I could also say you don't read previous posts, where are stated on several occasions I don't have, and don't plan to use the I/O board... You see now, I hope, it doesn't sound really nice... But ok, no offense taken, really :) So the real question was related to the Nano board actual 5v source regardless the "upgrades" and considering you are familiar with the board, knowing there might be several options.

I believe I have tried to be constructive on the thread, and an early adopter, with unfortunately not much time to deal with it.

Appreciate your work, I hope MiSTer will only grow.

Slade
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Slade » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm

If you're not using both or only one daughter board, this might help getting 5v for a fan.

The Arduino headers pinout if you'd rather use those.

I hope this helps some people.

toromand
Atari User
Atari User

Postby toromand » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks, this is very constructive.

ex68k
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ex68k » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Originally, after several hours of working my DE10-nano become hot. I mean the whole board become pretty hot. It's not in case. After adding a 25x25x10 heatsink with 25x25 silent fan the board now is slightly warm now.

Stupid question on the side, but the SOC should have an internal temperature sensor, which can be read from the ARM?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:31 pm

ex68k wrote:Stupid question on the side, but the SOC should have an internal temperature sensor, which can be read from the ARM?

I didn't find it yet.

toromand wrote:Thanks, this is very constructive.

This is from PDF file which you can download from Terasic site from resource section, DE10-nano User Manual. All connector descriptions and pin-outs are there.

toromand
Atari User
Atari User

Postby toromand » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Yes, usually this kind of information is there...
Since the sole purpose of buying the board was/is MiSTer, I was hoping I would not be reading the manual for the dev-board. Obviously I was wrong. Thx anyway.

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
ex68k wrote:Stupid question on the side, but the SOC should have an internal temperature sensor, which can be read from the ARM?

I didn't find it yet.

Cyclone V has no thermal diode. Only upper level chips (Arria and Stratix have them). https://lists.rocketboards.org/pipermai ... 02172.html

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 pm

toromand wrote:Yes, usually this kind of information is there...
Since the sole purpose of buying the board was/is MiSTer, I was hoping I would not be reading the manual for the dev-board. Obviously I was wrong. Thx anyway.

It's not an user-oriented product. It's really a DEVELOPMENT environment both from hardware and software sides=) Enthusiasts can use it for fun, but no one cares right now to make it commercial grade usability.

ex68k
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ex68k » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 pm

alfishe wrote:Cyclone V has no thermal diode. Only upper level chips (Arria and Stratix have them). https://lists.rocketboards.org/pipermai ... 02172.html

Guess, I'm a spoiled xilinx user. But seriously, how do they adapt the DDR timing to the envieronment, if they don't measure the temperature?

toromand
Atari User
Atari User

Postby toromand » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:47 pm

alfishe wrote:It's not an user-oriented product. It's really a DEVELOPMENT environment both from hardware and software sides=) Enthusiasts can use it for fun, but no one cares right now to make it commercial grade usability.

I am quite aware of that, and I am a developer myself with 30+ years of experience. This project is for me at the moment for fun, having very limited time to spend even for that right now.
Who said anything about "commercial grade" usability? I have managed to make my way using the information on Github including making myself the memory board (reported the results here), so I think it says enough.
I just wanted a simple info - which pins (by experience) would be recommended to hook up the fan. I guess this is what the forum is for - sharing knowledge in order to help other people not necessarily going the
full trial and error path. (or reading the documentation which might not necessarily give the definitive answer and is not directly related to what you actually want to do. I would understand if there was a dedicated fan header, sure)
Also you should make a distinction - it is not the same to develop for the MiSTer and using DE10-Nano as a general purpose dev-board. In the first case, I would read the MiSTer docs/manuals, and in the second - DE10-Nano manuals. To be honest I never even booted the Nano using the originally provided SD card... First boot was with MiSTer.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:17 pm

I hope I will see more helpers in this project. I don't mean exactly developers. Advanced users also can help to project by adding some usage info/hints. I can give WiKi access if some one is willing to help.

I'm quite busy by this project but cannot provide everything quickly. I know, most of users want just all info ASAP without realizing that I'm not a company but single person who doing this for fun.

This project is not about one person providing the whole hardware, whole software, whole documentation and others just need to wait for spoon feeding. It's not!

Don't ask "what else Sorgelig can provide to me?"
Ask "How can i help the project?"

Gehstock
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Gehstock » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:28 pm

I had already asked the same for the Mist-Board, without success.
My English is to bad for Wiki and i have no Plan about Linux.
The only thing I can help is the porting of cores (which then but still require rework).

Thank you for your fantastic work
Not only my Cores for Mist : https://github.com/Gehstock/Mist_Cores
My Cores for Mister : https://github.com/Gehstock/Mister

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Mounted 5V Sunon maglev fan from some laptop (it has own heatsink) and powered it from 3.3V (arduino header)
It works, but I'm not happy with level of noise it produces. Probably will try dc-dc buck converter to power it from lower voltage.
But as for heat dissipation - works just fine

See thermal camera recording:
https://youtu.be/Nda8RK3dHDU

FLIR0491.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 pm

:megaphone: UPDATE: mpattom just added 9 IO Boards to the Buy / Sell MiSTer Expansion Boards Thread!!!

--- Old Message ---

I had some people asking me for another batch of IO Boards and decided that I would do another round if enough people are willing to do a prepayment. By that, I can buy the components without the financial burden. I would sell the remaining boards again in the MiSTer Buy /Sell Thread

I am asking around to put people on my waiting list. Assembly takes me about 3-4 hours per board, therefore, I take 30€ + 6,20€ shipping cost. I'm gonna make a mailing list and keep everyone updated through the whole process. It will be the actual IO Board version with the sturdy VGA connector but without optical fiber connector (except you are willing to pay for that madly expensive thing :D )

Components and packaging will cost about 200€, so I need at least 7 people on the waiting list. I make personal customization if you would like different LED colors or other connector types.

Just let me know if you are interested via PM or Email

:cheers:
Last edited by gagadagatika on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

gagadagatika
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gagadagatika » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:34 pm

[deleted] ... because I am an idiot and posted two times, sorry

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:58 pm

ordered new version of I/O board reflecting recent trend :)

glaucon1984
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby glaucon1984 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Sorgelig wrote:ordered new version of I/O board reflecting recent trend :)

That board looks great. I guess it will rest part of its weight on the Arduino connectors of the right?

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:26 pm

glaucon1984 wrote:That board looks great. I guess it will rest part of its weight on the Arduino connectors of the right?

It's partly true. Only partly. The board isn't too heavy and 3 original points are more than enough to keep the board with fan.
I've added Arduino part just to accommodate pass through header and be able to add future expansions more easy. I've added +3.3V pins there, so the expansion boards can be more compact.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:29 am

Is there a way to eject the floppy disk out of the a0486 core?

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:14 am

NML32 wrote:Is there a way to eject the floppy disk out of the a0486 core?

As I remember there is a standard mechanism for all cores:
- first Enter press on floppy drive item in OSD ejects it
- next Enter press allows to select next floppy image

Return to “MiSTer”