MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby ex68k » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:28 pm

JimDrew wrote:The Replay2 will be the same way, and it does in fact have the larger Cyclone V FPGA and high speed ARM, just like the DE-10...

Where do you have this info from?

According to : http://www.fpgaarcade.com/replay2 it has a spartan 7 on in, and nothing from altera

cocotower
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cocotower » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 am

This may be slightly off topic but we need a Linux backend that doesn't take over the video on powerup so that DE10-Nano developers can develop their core quicker and when it's final they can make a version that goes through the MISTer video processor. I can't even imagine having to flip those tiny DIP switches all the time using a paper clip and fiddling with the fragile MicroSD card all the time, either. If I can boot up in HPS mode with this stealth Linux but develop the FPGA design and test it by programming the .sof, this would be nice.

Is there such a Linux build available?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:31 am

cocotower wrote:This may be slightly off topic but we need a Linux backend that doesn't take over the video on powerup so that DE10-Nano developers can develop their core quicker and when it's final they can make a version that goes through the MISTer video processor. I can't even imagine having to flip those tiny DIP switches all the time using a paper clip and fiddling with the fragile MicroSD card all the time, either. If I can boot up in HPS mode with this stealth Linux but develop the FPGA design and test it by programming the .sof, this would be nice.

Stop to rape the tiny switches :)
Are you sure you've tried to develop for MiSTer? Looks like no.
To access the files on SD card - connect the network cable and use FTP/SSH to manipulate the files on SD card.
Use USB Blaster port (near HDMI) to upload your cores directly from Quartus as a SOF files.

Linux has no access to video at all. It's done on FPGA side.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 am

I can attest that the terminal and FTP works pretty well from a computer. It's actually pretty neat to fiddle with Linux while the FPGA core is running. I highly recommend using that Ethernet port :D

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:51 pm

ex68k wrote:
JimDrew wrote:The Replay2 will be the same way, and it does in fact have the larger Cyclone V FPGA and high speed ARM, just like the DE-10...

From me. I am on the Replay development team.
I am the flux ninja

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm

JimDrew wrote:
ex68k wrote:From me. I am on the Replay development team.

Good greef, here we go again... :cry:
-- kolla

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ex68k » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:45 pm

JimDrew wrote:
ex68k wrote:

From me. I am on the Replay development team.

Really? Altera?

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:19 am

Sorgelig wrote:You can find discussion about build environment here: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=32441
ARM part runs a normal Linux, thus Linux environment for code compilation is more natural and easier to setup. But compiling under windows is also possible.
Although i'm not sure what you are going to do with 68040 emulation alone. It's not about CPU emulation only, it's also about connection ARM and FPGA parts.

Thanks, I will have a look. Well, a 68040 emulation that had a ROM in the memory map, video memory, chipset addressing, etc. could be interpreted on the FPGA side and output video, play sound, etc. This is how I made EMPLANT's Mac emulation (and later FUSION). One task was the CPU core and the other tasks handled individual functions.
I am the flux ninja

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 am

JimDrew wrote: Well, a 68040 emulation that had a ROM in the memory map, video memory, chipset addressing, etc. could be interpreted on the FPGA side and output video, play sound, etc. This is how I made EMPLANT's Mac emulation (and later FUSION). One task was the CPU core and the other tasks handled individual functions.

May be it's better to move this discussion to dedicated thread: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=32674
From my point of view, the connection point between FPGA and ARM emulations should lay at the same place as in real A1200, i.e. expansion port. ARM part will plug to Minimig as an 680x0 accelerator with it's own FastRAM memory. I think, changes in Minimig should be minimal in this case.

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Off topic, but Replay2 has a large 28nm Spartan7 device on board plus all the usually goodies - high quality analog video/audio as well as dvi/hdmi.
DDR1 memory of compatibility with the current board + 512MB DDR3.

It won't be as cheap as the DE10, but it will be available in volume for those who want it. Layout is progressing well.

Different approach with the separate ARM chip - Iike to keep the FPGA part simple. I appreciate some like the embedded CPU.
I'll release the rest of the code as soon as it's out, no point helping out the vampire boys.
/Mike.

Sorgelig, while I'm here..
I haven't finished my 68000 cycle accurate code yet, and my new core is system verilog based.
As a stop-gap, I've re-written and tidied up the TG68K (renamed as M68K so I can track it). It's in regression testing now. Ping me and I'll send you a copy for testing as soon as it's running.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:29 pm

fpgaarcade wrote:Ping me and I'll send you a copy for testing as soon as it's running.

i've send the message to you on Facebook.

cocotower
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cocotower » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:01 am

Sorgelig wrote:
cocotower wrote:This may be slightly off topic but we need a Linux backend that doesn't take over the video on powerup so that DE10-Nano developers can develop their core quicker and when it's final they can make a version that goes through the MISTer video processor. I can't even imagine having to flip those tiny DIP switches all the time using a paper clip and fiddling with the fragile MicroSD card all the time, either. If I can boot up in HPS mode with this stealth Linux but develop the FPGA design and test it by programming the .sof, this would be nice.

Stop to rape the tiny switches :)
Are you sure you've tried to develop for MiSTer? Looks like no.
To access the files on SD card - connect the network cable and use FTP/SSH to manipulate the files on SD card.
Use USB Blaster port (near HDMI) to upload your cores directly from Quartus as a SOF files.

Linux has no access to video at all. It's done on FPGA side.

Ok, this sounds much better than what I thought might be required. So, I don't have to make an RBF file or use the ARM suite?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:00 am

cocotower wrote:Ok, this sounds much better than what I thought might be required. So, I don't have to make an RBF file or use the ARM suite?

If you're just interested about developing an HDL core you have two ways to upload it to the MiST on the fly:
  • Upload from Quartus (HDL IDE) directly into the FPGA
  • Compile the rbf from Quartus and send it via FTP
These work with two different USB connections from your PC to the MiSTer. All required cables are bog standard USB and come in the box.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:07 am

@sorgelig : Thank you for the gameboy core port! - And it is not even x-mas yet ;-)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am

The GB core is another one of my favorites, thanks Sorgelig!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Newsdee wrote:The GB core is another one of my favorites, thanks Sorgelig!

unfortunately it's far from perfect...
May be because it supports only MBC1. I think it's not hard to add other MBC chips - they are well documented. I just have no time to do it. May be someone will pick it up and improve.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Hmm.. just discovered that key re-map implementation is not finished. And since no one complained - looks like not so useful function ;)

keito
Atari User
Atari User

Postby keito » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Newsdee wrote:I can attest that the terminal and FTP works pretty well from a computer. It's actually pretty neat to fiddle with Linux while the FPGA core is running. I highly recommend using that Ethernet port :D

I have only had my MiSTer setup for one day but already agree with you, I have been managing the file structure and uploading via ftp and debugging via serial at the same time as watching some amiga demos and running other cores, very fun, and very useful, and very cool :)

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ex68k » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:24 pm

fpgaarcade wrote:Off topic, but Replay2 has a large 28nm Spartan7 device on board plus all the usually goodies - high quality analog video/audio as well as dvi/hdmi.
DDR1 memory of compatibility with the current board + 512MB DDR3.

So Spartan7 or Cyclone V ?
Does it really change every day?

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ex68k » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 pm

fpgaarcade wrote: Sorgelig, while I'm here..
I haven't finished my 68000 cycle accurate code yet, and my new core is system verilog based.
As a stop-gap, I've re-written and tidied up the TG68K (renamed as M68K so I can track it). It's in regression testing now. Ping me and I'll send you a copy for testing as soon as it's running.

Out of curiosity, did you change anything in the instruction decoder from the tg68k?

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Hmm.. just discovered that key re-map implementation is not finished. And since no one complained - looks like not so useful function ;)

Meh, I have just been patient... should I start complaining? :)
-- kolla

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:02 pm

kolla wrote:Meh, I have just been patient... should I start complaining? :)

Too late. Fixed already.

PhantombrainM
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 pm

Hey Sorgelig,

can you please port the Commodore 16 Core we have on MIST to the MISTer?

I will spent you a beer by paypal! ;)

PhantombrainM
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

sonic74
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sonic74 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Hello,
I got my SD-RAM-Board from ch570512 today, works flawlessly @ 150 MHz. Thanks to all for this nice project!

Sorgelig wrote:i have around 5" LCD with HDMI input. It even powered from HDMI, so only single cable is required.

Comfortable! Do you happen to have the model number at hand?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:13 pm

sonic74 wrote: Do you happen to have the model number at hand?

Nope. It's custom made for project i was working on before.

Return to “MiSTer”