Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 am

There is no difference which monitor or video connection you use.

optiroc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby optiroc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 am

petarku wrote:hi guys , I am connecting mister to 15khz monitor Dell u2410. i am experiencing some slowdowns when playing swos via adf disks which doesnt exist on real amiga.
Does anyone here have the same monitor and what configuration of mister.ini and monitor settings you are using so you will get proper picture?

Best Regards,
Petar

I distinctly remember slowdown in SWOS on real hardware when all (or almost all) players are visible on screen.

petarku
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby petarku » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:33 am

optiroc wrote:
petarku wrote:hi guys , I am connecting mister to 15khz monitor Dell u2410. i am experiencing some slowdowns when playing swos via adf disks which doesnt exist on real amiga.
Does anyone here have the same monitor and what configuration of mister.ini and monitor settings you are using so you will get proper picture?

Best Regards,
Petar

I distinctly remember slowdown in SWOS on real hardware when all (or almost all) players are visible on screen.

I have amiga 1200 at home and playing swos on it (disk version). There is no such slowdowns on the floppy disk version of the game on the real amiga.
I will play with settings in mister ini to see if messed up something with settings .

optiroc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby optiroc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:20 pm

petarku wrote:
optiroc wrote:

I have amiga 1200 at home and playing swos on it (disk version). There is no such slowdowns on the floppy disk version of the game on the real amiga.
I will play with settings in mister ini to see if messed up something with settings .

Right, my memories are from playing on an A500.

I’ve noticed that you often need to select the Turbo: Chipmem (or “both”) to get an AGA config running without slowdowns. Super Stardust, for example, runs with constant slowdown without the turbo setting.

petarku
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby petarku » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 pm

optiroc wrote:
petarku wrote:
optiroc wrote:

Right, my memories are from playing on an A500.

I’ve noticed that you often need to select the Turbo: Chipmem (or “both”) to get an AGA config running without slowdowns. Super Stardust, for example, runs with constant slowdown without the turbo setting.

I tried using Turbo: Both and there are still slowdowns . Strange enough same setting( Turbo:Both) is fixing slowdowns in whdload version of the same game which I find very strange as whdload should be more demanding then disk version..

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Turbo Chip Mem only has an effect, if 2MB Chip and AGA are selected. Otherwise that option does not do anything.

Heppaz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Heppaz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi guys, total noob here.
Bought a DE-10 Nano and I'm trying to get this to work but I just get a black screen after selecting the kick.rom (works in uae)
I have done a little bit of digging and am now wondering if I need the ram board for this to work?

robbo43
Atarian
Atarian

Postby robbo43 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi,

Could you add left mouse button and space bar to the options when mapping joysticks? Would be useful for certain ADF images.

Cheers

Rob

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:04 pm

robbo43 wrote:Hi,

Could you add left mouse button and space bar to the options when mapping joysticks? Would be useful for certain ADF images.

Cheers

Rob

and ability to swap left and right legs to scratch the ear when it's itching ;)

softtest1
Atarian
Atarian

Postby softtest1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 pm

I would like to have the setup that a lot of people seem to have, where Minimig boots straight into TinyLauncher and a list of (WHDLoad?) games. Does anyone here know how it was done? Is there an image floating around? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to the Amiga.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:21 pm

softtest1 wrote:Is there an image floating around?

i warn you, this is not warez forum!

softtest1
Atarian
Atarian

Postby softtest1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
softtest1 wrote:Is there an image floating around?

i warn you, this is not warez forum!

Ok. I didn't ask for links.

SuperBabyHix
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby SuperBabyHix » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:19 pm

softtest1 wrote:Is there an image floating around? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to the Amiga.

I would suggest you check out Classic Workbench http://classicwb.abime.net/. It is not exactly what you are looking for (doesn't have Tinylauncher and you will need to provide your own original Workbench disk images), but it is a good starting point for anyone new to Amiga. The Lite or Full version will work well for an AGA setup on Mister and the 68k version is good for an OCS/ECS setup.

There is also Better WB http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BetterWB.htm for a much more lightweight, stock-like experience. I don't quite remember, but I don't think it comes with WHDload installed, so it may not be what you are looking for.

Honestly though, if you are only interested in playing Amiga games the easiest thing is just use floppy disk images. With turbo loading it's not that much slower than WHDload plus you get all the cool cracktros and trainers.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:18 am

Tossing out an idea... how about ability to go beyond 2MB of chipram? Though no "real" Amiga had more than 2MB, various UAE incarnations support up to 8MB, and certain other FPGA systems allow even more (like all ram being "chipram"). There are quite a few programs that benefit from more chipram, for example DPaint.
-- kolla

GoingDown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby GoingDown » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:32 am

I am having some instability issues with latest Minimig core. Disk operations will randomly crash my Amiga 3.1.4 setup. At least it looks like it is on disk operations, but crashes are quite random.

For example, extracting 120 lha archives via dopus will quite "reliably" crash at some point. Or running discdoctor. Also, randomly some whdoload games won't start correctly, giving some strange file errors. Then with rebooting and trying again they might work.

When I downgraded minimig to 2019-07-17 version it seems that crashes are gone, discdoctor finished successfully and extracting archives were fine, no crashes or anything.

I also tested same hard disk image with my Mist - no crashes there either with same OS installation. I just noticed that Mister Minimig disk operations are lot faster than with Mist.

Any idea?

urlordfu
Atarian
Atarian

Postby urlordfu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:42 am

I only have the DE10-Nano Mister and have Amiga Forever, Winuae, Amiga In a Box, and Amikit. I've managed to get all my amiga related stuff saved from the late 1980's over time and different Amigas onto my windows 10 system and linked the files for all of my Amiga settings for Amikit and Amiga Forever into a file on my dropbox with hard links to the actual location that Amikit and Amiga forever are looking so when I go between my different computers they all match up and changes cannot be lost. How useful is a journal from the 1980's? Not very useful. But nostalgic I suppose. It's nice with Mister to have a faster system than my existing Amiga 2000HD with all the cards and accelerators. Winuae on my system reports 5+ times the A4000 speed in 'system info' ancient benchmark. And on the Mister I get slightly faster than the 68020 which seems to make sense. It's enough that I can continue the work on my mister Amiga now, and hope that RTG and better graphics come. I also want to code this minimig mister core for some CPU speed improvements but can't even get my first compiles to work as my quartus cores are still too big and are clearly not correct yet.

In the meantime, not wanting to take away from the last post this is just a youtube video of someone using MIST and WHDload. So no links to files etc but if you watch the video it will give you some ideas about how to use winuae/amiga forever to create your hardfile to mount back up in mister after you load it up in Winuae and then transfer to your mister via FTP/SFTP.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 7qRdR2_ZzA

(Sorgelig : I am a fan of yours! Your project is why I purchased this DE10-Nano)

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 am

Any idea?

Minimig on MiSTer has IDE timing problems, also in versions before September. Might be worse now, because of the faster memory access. I'll have a closer look at it, as soon as it gets colder outside (in central europe).

GoingDown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby GoingDown » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:47 pm

R4MS wrote:
Any idea?

Minimig on MiSTer has IDE timing problems, also in versions before September. Might be worse now, because of the faster memory access. I'll have a closer look at it, as soon as it gets colder outside (in central europe).

Right, that explains the behauviour.

I saw changelog for Minimig core today which states to "improve the timings/stability". That sounds good, I will test.

Thanks guys :cheers:

sonycman
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sonycman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 pm

R4MS wrote:
Any idea?

Might be worse now, because of the faster memory access.

But isn't the memory frequency was lowered from 114 to 86 MHz recently? It must be more stable now, not worse.

Which faster memory access do you mean?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 pm

sonycman wrote:
R4MS wrote:
Any idea?

Might be worse now, because of the faster memory access.

But isn't the memory frequency was lowered from 114 to 86 MHz recently? It must be more stable now, not worse.

Which faster memory access do you mean?

it was lowered in July release.
Later it was raised back to original.

sonycman
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sonycman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Sorgelig wrote:it was lowered in July release.

But why?
Something was wrong with the lowered freqs?

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:21 am

sonycman wrote:Something was wrong with the lowered freqs?

Yes, Minimig was slower than it needed to be.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:47 am

sonycman wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:it was lowered in July release.

But why?
Something was wrong with the lowered freqs?

July's performance increase + September's performance increase. Now Minimig is twice faster.

sonycman
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sonycman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:21 am

R4MS wrote:Yes, Minimig was slower than it needed to be.

But the memory controller performance remaining the same, why the core became slower?
Because of the CPU?

Sorgelig wrote:July's performance increase + September's performance increase. Now Minimig is twice faster.

That is cool, i hope that didn't add any stability problems :wink:

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:19 am

It did for me, random reboots happens way too often.
-- kolla

Return to “MiSTer”