MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

Postby Newsdee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 am

PLA printing is easier than I expected and a lot of fun. The one caveat is that sooner or later something will go wrong with your printer (since it's mechanical) and then one has to be a bit of a gearhead to fix it.

I just replaced the extruder on mine but it isn't working as well as before (which is still an improvement over not working at all). I suppose I need to look into how to do a "calibration" for it.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 pm

As I've told many people who have shown interest in 3D printing (in it's current state):

- It is something of an entire discipline and art form unto it's own. Expect a learning cliff to become proficient.
- It is both immensely rewarding and insanely frustrating.

:)

djmartins
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djmartins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 am

remowilliams wrote:- It is something of an entire discipline and art form unto it's own. Expect a learning cliff to become proficient.

Yeah it is and I love it!
:cheers:

laserdisc
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby laserdisc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 am

djmartins wrote:
remowilliams wrote:- It is something of an entire discipline and art form unto it's own. Expect a learning cliff to become proficient.

I blame NegSol... :lol: :lol:
At first I just wanted something to encase my nekid DE10-Nano board, then I saw NegSols design and ordered some parts to be printed. That's when I got hooked by the 3D-Printer bug. I started with an Ender3, figured start low & slow. NOW I can't upgrading the darn thing and fiddling with it LOL!

laserdisc
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby laserdisc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 am

laserdisc wrote:
djmartins wrote:

At first I just wanted something to encase my nekid DE10-Nano board, then I saw NegSols design and ordered some parts to be printed. That's when I got hooked by the 3D-Printer bug. I started with an Ender3, figured start low & slow. NOW I can't stop upgrading the darn thing and fiddling with it LOL!

Poobah
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Poobah » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am

laserdisc wrote:
djmartins wrote:

At first I just wanted something to encase my nekid DE10-Nano board, then I saw NegSols design and ordered some parts to be printed. That's when I got hooked by the 3D-Printer bug. I started with an Ender3, figured start low & slow. NOW I can't upgrading the darn thing and fiddling with it LOL!

And then you decide to build your own from scratch.....
MiSTer Expansion Boards (USA: IO, SDRAM, RTC) http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=359169#p359169

djmartins
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djmartins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:09 am

Maybe you can't start a 3D Printer Addicts Anon org.
I can't because I am too busy printing stuff....

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 am

So my extruder broke and I got a replacememt, but surprise, the hole for the filament didn't align with the original extruder gear. And according to what I read online, that gear is a pain to replace.

I cobbled something together rising the extruder with a couple of coins, which was good enough for me to print a more permanent solution (a plastic base to hold the piece better).

It's still not extruding as well as it should, calibration test shows it's only outputing 45% of plastic. I need to find a way to connect the printer via USB so I can read the current settings and increase motor steps...

It's not very fun but at least I'm learning...

Return to “MiSTer”