Help with starting cores (no video output)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

roc
Atarian
Atarian

Help with starting cores (no video output)

Postby roc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am

Hello all,

First post here. I have been lurking for a while, because I am interested in the MiSTer. I have been using several FPGA solutions over the years, mostly meant for the Amiga.

Before we start, thanks to Sorgelig for creating the MiSTer and porting so many cores, all the other cores' developers and finally to the hardware vendors for keeping our passion alive.

Okay, let's get it started. I have been troubleshooting the MiSTer for a couple of days, so I decided to ask help if someone could have some idea how to make it work (and also to exlude I am simply doing something silly).

Config:
- DE10-nano
- SDRAM vertical
- USB hub
- RTC
- the reformatted 8 gigs micro-sd card that comes with the DE10-nano

Problem:
I can get the menu and select the relevant core, however after this step there is no video output neither from the HDMI nor from the VGA.

Notes:
- BIG MISTAKE from my side. When first plugging the SDRAM in, I put it in the wrong GPIO and powered the board on. Maybe this has fried the SDRAM.
- The menu is visible in both HDMI and VGA.
- the green leds next to the Ethernet port are green and static. The single led green close to the I/O GPIO blinks randomly.
- No changes have been done to swiches
- I enclose the SD card image.

Tests that has been performed so far:
- remove all unecessary cards and leave only the board plus the SDRAM to perform the tests
- tried two different SDRAM (I bought two, because I plan byuing another DE10-nano)
- played with the MiSTer.ini by changing the settings of dvi_mode to 0, 1 , 6, 8
- Test the output on two different HDMI screens
- Removed only essential files on the SD card. Mostly I tried the memory test, however I also tried the minimig, C64, vectrex cores.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THaase
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Help with starting cores (no video output)

Postby THaase » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am

Hi roc,

yes, you've most likely fried your SDRam 8O
One guy brought an SDRam from me and also placed the SDRam wrong (right connector but turned 180 degree - the 3 Pins in the air).
Ended up also with a defective SDRam - but the good news: The DE10 was still alive - after exchanging the SDRam everything worked normal.

I don't know about the Vectrex Core (at leat this doesn't need the SDRam - but I've no idea about usage), but the other 2 need the SDRam.

You should start with one of the Acarde Cores as theese don't need the SDRam - and if they work - you should go most likely for a new Ram.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:56 am

Plugging SDRAM into wrong GPIO port doesn't hurt - both ports are identical. Of course SDRAM won't work in wrong port.
The dangerous is connecting SDRAM in wrong direction (like THaase wrote) as it will bridge 3.3v and 5v together! The user who fried SDRAM only is actually lucky - he could fry the DE10-nano as well!

Arcade cores may be is not good thing to start as it require to make a compatible ROM.
Try arcade https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... are_MiSTer
it's homebrew arcade and doesn't require external ROM.
Any core is not listed in this table will work without SDRAM: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... t-by-cores

roc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby roc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 am

Thaase, Sorgelig, many thanks for your prompt support and help!

I am not sure whether this is good or bad news, however Arcade-MrDoNightmare_MiSTer does not work either. To be clear, I assume there is no need of ROMs, so I simply put the rbf on the SD card, launched it from the menu, started up and got the usual no-HDMI output.

Silly question. Beside mounting the SDRAM (this time is good) should I change any switch on the board or activate anything out of the DE10-nano box?

Any other test that I could do? Before formatting it, I tested the embedded 8 gigs card and it worked fine with a kind of Linux.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 pm

If Menu core works then you don't need to re-format the SD card.
Make sure you've used most recent MiSTer installer from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer
Then manually update MiSTer binary and Menu.rbf from respective repositories.

Return to “MiSTer”