MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Re: MiSTer: MiST on Terasic DE10-nano board.

Postby alfishe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:27 am

nightshadowpt wrote:It is a pity that you haven't yet been able to gain enough traction on the project to attract other FPGA developers, but I believe it has the potential to be great in the future.

Just FYI - project is in public domain for... about 2 months =))

But anyway what you've said isn't really true. But since project is still a derivation from MiST and has quite high complexity (advanced FPGA + SoC ARM + Embedded Linux + Video processing + multiple platform cores specific and all that at the same time) - it takes time to get familiar with current codebase, architecture and start bring value for the project. That will be easier for developers that worked with MiST before.
Development documentation in actual state, mostly does not exist for both MiST and MiSTer, so also takes significant time to overcome understanding issues.

Project itself also requires some side-activities:
I, personally, invested more than a month of time to bring convenient sd-card installer for Windows (that no even commercial or vendor supported projects have).

But since Sorgelig made one thing that no one previously made for such complex projects - released the whole bunch of development artifacts, including hardware as opensource - it's now possible to start contributing into the project and eventually scale.

So stay tuned. It's already one of most exciting retro-emulation platform and you won't believe what it's really capable of... just give some time :D

Grabulosaure
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Grabulosaure » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 pm

ijor wrote:Interesting. I guess you can estimate speed variations of the device that should mostly correspond to the temperature.

Yes, ring oscillators.

This is a awful method for measuring temperature, there are many issues (such as the non-linearity, the influence of power suppy, interactions with nearby logic,...), but it is better than nothing.

I have posted a new version and tidied the sources. It now quite overengineered, with automatic range adjustement, a switch in the menu ...

http://temlib.org/pub/mister

Just a warm-up before making new cores for MiSTer.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:16 am

Grabulosaure wrote:
ijor wrote:Interesting. I guess you can estimate speed variations of the device that should mostly correspond to the temperature.

Yes, ring oscillators.

This is a awful method for measuring temperature, there are many issues (such as the non-linearity, the influence of power suppy, interactions with nearby logic,...), but it is better than nothing.

I have posted a new version and tidied the sources. It now quite overengineered, with automatic range adjustement, a switch in the menu ...

Is this suppose to work with HDMI? Under HDMI I only see color bars that fill up the screen.

Grabulosaure
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Grabulosaure » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:10 am

NML32 wrote:Is this suppose to work with HDMI? Under HDMI I only see color bars that fill up the screen.

You need to launch the chip programmer in Quartus (which is the FPGA IDE from Altera/Intel) and upload the .SOF file.
I only have the free version of Quartus. AFAIU, I cannot generate the .RBF file with the video scaler core currently used in MiSTer.

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Grabulosaure wrote:
ijor wrote:I have posted a new version and tidied the sources. It now quite overengineered, with automatic range adjustement, a switch in the menu ...

IMHO too many factors that make influence on value measured. Way simpler to use I2C thermal sensor and measure FPGA surface temperature precisely. Anyway, don't see any necessity to do that. Even with moderate airflow temperature never crosses 45C

azesmbog
Atarian
Atarian

Postby azesmbog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Grabulosaure wrote: and upload the .SOF file.

in my DE10 .SOF file does not load, only .RBF :(((((((((
NML32 wrote:Is this suppose to work with HDMI?

http://rgho.st/6bWckLPtp
Would not it be kind of a respectable Genie to make a diff for a MemoryTest? I could not get. I am sad :(
http://rgho.st/7JTRRz4zx

alfishe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby alfishe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm

deleted
Last edited by alfishe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 pm

azesmbog wrote:
Grabulosaure wrote: and upload the .SOF file.

in my DE10 .SOF file does not load, only .RBF :(((((((((
NML32 wrote:Is this suppose to work with HDMI?

http://rgho.st/6bWckLPtp
Would not it be kind of a respectable Genie to make a diff for a MemoryTest? I could not get. I am sad :(
http://rgho.st/7JTRRz4zx

Thanks, the temp test worked on HDMI but MemoryTest just shows color bars.

Thank you

Nextric
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Nextric » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 am

Hi guys!!
I have a problem. My dev-10 does not display anything on screen at startup, and when I login through ssh, I can see that the 'Mister' process is consuming 100% of the CPU.
Any ideas? :(

Nextric
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Nextric » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 am

Previously all was worked fine, just uploaded some taps files by scp, around 70, for the kernel of the spectrum, and reboot ... :(

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Nextric wrote:Previously all was worked fine, just uploaded some taps files by scp, around 70, for the kernel of the spectrum, and reboot ... :(

check the filesystem on computer - may be you've corrupted it.

Nextric
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Nextric » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks Sorgelig!! Reinstall system and go, go, go. System corrupt sure.

NegSol
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby NegSol » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Just in case someone missed the news. jwdonal posted about VeriSNES in the FPGA Chat forum :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=30939&start=25

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 pm

NegSol wrote:Just in case someone missed the news. jwdonal posted about VeriSNES in the FPGA Chat forum :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=30939&start=25

Looks like bare teasing.

NegSol

Postby NegSol » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Looks like he needs some time to work on the outputs. However, it is great to see he is using the MiSTer platform. We waited a long time for an SNES core. I do not mind to wait some more. In the video he promises to get the core to us. That is great news! 8)

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 pm

NegSol wrote:Looks like he needs some time to work on the outputs. However, it is great to see he is using the MiSTer platform. We waited a long time for an SNES core. I do not mind to wait some more. In the video he promises to get the core to us. That is great news! 8)

Don't get your hopes too high :)
I didn't see any promises from him.

glaucon1984
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby glaucon1984 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 am

NegSol wrote:In the video he promises to get the core to us.

I suspect that the core could arrive in the shape of an Analogue NT Mini, Kickstarter, or something along those lines.

Still, it's good to see the capabilities of MiSTer.

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:40 am

This is really exciting. I never bought a MiST because of lack of HDMI. So I'm ready to buy a MiSTer when the cores I want are available.

Atari ST - strange this core seems to be missing?
MSX - still to be ported?

X68000 - hopefully in future
Atari 1040STE 4MB, TOS 2.06 patched, C-LAB Notator SL 3.21, Cubeat 2, EIZO FlexScan L565 17", Supera Color HD video converter

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:13 am

matt wrote:So I'm ready to buy a MiSTer when the cores I want are available.

I'm glad that more people like it, but project is open source and is not driving by money. Thus "make this core and i will buy it" doesn't work here.

matt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby matt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 am

I didn't mean that. Rather "I'm waiting to buy it, but I will buy it". Of course, I'm not going to buy one before it's useful to me.

With MiST I was never going to buy it due to lack of HDMI, regardless of available cores.

Keep up the great work!
Atari 1040STE 4MB, TOS 2.06 patched, C-LAB Notator SL 3.21, Cubeat 2, EIZO FlexScan L565 17", Supera Color HD video converter

TorsteinP
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TorsteinP » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Looks like my DE10 nano is broken. No HDMI output. I had picture for a while but with heavy flickering and way out of position. Monitor info said 0.0 Hz refresh rate. Tried switch to another monitor. No signal at all there. The board is booting as it should. First blue light then yellow and a flashing green. Then it pulses through all 8 green user leds. When that is done I got the bad picture on the first monitor. Same happens on the other monitor but with no picture.

May have to order another one :(
I could return it to digikey, but it will take weeks to get a replacement.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Some real life connection :)
menu_rtc.png

TorsteinP wrote:Looks like my DE10 nano is broken. No HDMI output. I had picture for a while but with heavy flickering and way out of position.

if you still have 8GB SD card coming with DE10-nano, then try to boot from it. It has Ubuntu with HDMI output.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toromand
Atari User
Atari User

Postby toromand » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:33 am

TorsteinP wrote:Looks like my DE10 nano is broken. No HDMI output. I had picture for a while but with heavy flickering and way out of position. Monitor info said 0.0 Hz refresh rate. Tried switch to another monitor. No signal at all there. The board is booting as it should. First blue light then yellow and a flashing green. Then it pulses through all 8 green user leds. When that is done I got the bad picture on the first monitor. Same happens on the other monitor but with no picture.

May have to order another one :(
I could return it to digikey, but it will take weeks to get a replacement.

Also try another HDMI cable.

TorsteinP
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TorsteinP » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:31 am

Sorgelig wrote:Some real life connection :)
menu_rtc.png

TorsteinP wrote:Looks like my DE10 nano is broken. No HDMI output. I had picture for a while but with heavy flickering and way out of position.

if you still have 8GB SD card coming with DE10-nano, then try to boot from it. It has Ubuntu with HDMI output.

That's what I've been using. Also tried another SD card with fresh installed Xfce. Same result. Just to check monitor and cable I tried another Terasic board I have, the Cyclone V GX and got a nice stable image so it's definitely something wrong with my DE10-nano. I've ordered a new DE10-nano from digikey and requested return of the faulty one.

Return to “MiSTer”