Request on 8 bit computer cores: NO-BORDER option?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

RobeInie
Atari User
Atari User

Request on 8 bit computer cores: NO-BORDER option?

Postby RobeInie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Hi!

Would be interesting an option to play 8 bit computers (Amstrad, Spectrum, C64...) with no border.
I remember the firsts cores of Renaud Helias (Amstrad with no-border).

I have read also a review of a new Spectrum interface that can show games without border in the original computer:
http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/09/z ... .html#more

What do you think about it ?
I don't know if it is interesting for other people or difficult to implement on the actual cores.

Thanks,

Chris23235
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Request on 8 bit computer cores: NO-BORDER option?

Postby Chris23235 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 pm

To me it is a rather pointless option. I use the MiST to get a close simulation of the original hardware. Getting rid of the borders of these systems is of no interest to me. Besides many games on the 8 and 16 Bit computers broke the borders and used it as part of the playfield.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 pm

Chris23235 wrote:To me it is a rather pointless option. I use the MiST to get a close simulation of the original hardware. Getting rid of the borders of these systems is of no interest to me. Besides many games on the 8 and 16 Bit computers broke the borders and used it as part of the playfield.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

For example, there are some CPC games that use the borders and they are not correctly displayed without them.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Televicious
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Televicious » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:48 am

Lots of C64 stuff can use border display space so it is necessary. Doesn't feel right without them either. Very silly idea.

arty
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby arty » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:06 am

ZX Spectrum (classic and Pentagon128) demo scene uses border for extension of multicolor effects from main screen. So border on Speccy is mandatory and part of its soul and charm.
…………ıllıllı just a friend ıllıllı…………

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 am

In my opinion border is important part of the retro feeling, and some games (i.e. the Creatures II on C64) use it actively. Some other cores (i.e. the Speccy) utilize it during loading, I doubt it's a good idea to get rid from it.

RobeInie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby RobeInie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:56 am

Yes, I know that borders are used in some games/demos, and for the loading process, and a very important and caracteristic part of this computers. ( I was waiting at his moment the Renaud's core with borders and was a good news when the core showed at least the border)

I didn't mean to delete borders (will be a very big error xD), only to add a possible option "full screen mode" on the OSD if we want to zoom (as the ZXVGA JOY do, https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v6HpnibI7l4/XYz1-G4k8aI/AAAAAAAAAC0/mmc9I85s4V8FjSMISsezOGoVYNTKRw6dACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/main_2.jpg) It was only an idea inspired on it :)

Thanks for your opinions!

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:19 am

RobeInie wrote:Yes, I know that borders are used in some games/demos, and for the loading process, and a very important and caracteristic part of this computers. ( I was waiting at his moment the Renaud's core with borders and was a good news when the core showed at least the border)

I didn't mean to delete borders (will be a very big error xD), only to add a possible option "full screen mode" on the OSD if we want to zoom (as the ZXVGA JOY do, https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v6HpnibI7l4/XYz1-G4k8aI/AAAAAAAAAC0/mmc9I85s4V8FjSMISsezOGoVYNTKRw6dACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/main_2.jpg) It was only an idea inspired on it :)

I agree that having the options to go fullscreen would be nice. And I'd also like to point out that tv sets from the 80s were only showing maybe 50% of the area that we call borders today. We even have to mitigate for that in the NES core or the ST core because there are often nasty artifacts in the far borders.

Chris23235
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Chris23235 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 pm

sebdel wrote:
RobeInie wrote:Yes, I know that borders are used in some games/demos, and for the loading process, and a very important and caracteristic part of this computers. ( I was waiting at his moment the Renaud's core with borders and was a good news when the core showed at least the border)

I agree that having the options to go fullscreen would be nice. And I'd also like to point out that tv sets from the 80s were only showing maybe 50% of the area that we call borders today. We even have to mitigate for that in the NES core or the ST core because there are often nasty artifacts in the far borders.

In my opinion the nicest solution for this is to use a 15 KHz RGB monitor with the MiST, these monitors allowed you to move and stretch the picture in every direction. I know these monitors are hard to find today, but I can't think of a better way to adjust the borders to your liking and to change the size without any problems, when it is necessary.

Return to “MiST”