It's no more a MiSTery

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

SuperBabyHix
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: It's no more a MiSTery

Postby SuperBabyHix » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Thanks so much to everyone involved, this is amazing. I can't wait to get home and dive in.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:Slingshot, you are my hero. Yesterday i planned to work on the floppy but i ended up watching demos until 2am ....

Btw: what's the best self running demo? I'd like to do some demo setup that runs unattended and shows the ST's capabilities.

Oh it makes me somewhat proud, even if I sabotaged the new FDC :)
Yes, the cuddly demos are running continously if you don't move that hunchback guy. Also the Froggies has two longer parts (I've just fixed one of it - it had some glitches due to MFP fixes for the other part, damn).

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Update with latest fixes:

Working:
- just buggin/ACF: ok
- Hifi/Aura: freezes on black screen -> FIXED
- Syntax terror/Delta Force: -> FIXED
- Things not to do/Inner circle: -> FIXED
- Eat my b*llocks/Equinox: ok
- Virtual escape/Equinox: ok
- Decade demo/Inner circle: ok
- My socks are weapon/Legacy: -> FIXED
- FSD.prg/level16: ok
- Anomaly/MJJ prod: ok
- Flip-O-demo/oxygen: ok
- Nostalgic-O-demo/Oxygen: ok
- O-demo/Oxygen: ok
- Overscan demos/Paulo Simoes: ok
- Overdrive/Phalanx: ok
- Megademo/Synergy: ok
- Cuddly demos/TCB: ok
- Flashback/TCB: ok
- The Junk Demo/TCB: ok
- Amiga demo/TEX: ok
- Big demo/TEX: ok
- read_me.prg/TEX: ok
- Ohh Crickey/TLB: -> FIXED
- Mindbomb/TLB: ok
- FNIL/TNT Crew: ok
- Dark Side of the Spoon/ULM: ok
- Life is a bitch/TLB: -> FIXED
- Phaleon gigademo/Next: ok, fast loader ok, I can see my screen :mrgreen:
- Sowatt/TCB: ok with graphical glitches
- Wattaheck/TCB: ok
- Swedish New Year 1/Sync: ok
- Swedish New Year 2/Sync: ok
- Union demo/The Union: boots ok

Broken:
- 1984/NoCooper: freezes on 1984 logo -> still broken
- Punish your machine/Party: -> FIXED partially, everything on disk 1 works but it fails to detect disk 2
- Electra demo/Electra: intro ok, garbage on main menu (and music too fast ?) -> not any better, I can even see bombs now
- Ventura/OVR: ok to main menu, then loader fails -> still broken
- European demos/OVR: boot loop

Oh, and you fixed the dark image for fullscreens on VGA. You rock. But I said that already. :cheers:

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:03 pm

sebdel wrote:
- Electra demo/Electra: intro ok, garbage on main menu (and music too fast ?) -> not any better, I can even see bombs now

This is crazy, the bombs are part of the intro joke, the demo should start after pressing reset. Maybe something is wrong there, however several "reset surprise" titles are OK.

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:49 pm

slingshot wrote:
sebdel wrote:

This is crazy, the bombs are part of the intro joke, the demo should start after pressing reset. Maybe something is wrong there, however several "reset surprise" titles are OK.

I knew about the fake bombs. I see garbage with music after the reset of course, and bombs there too.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:01 pm

sebdel wrote:Update with latest fixes:

Broken:
- 1984/NoCooper: freezes on 1984 logo -> still broken
- Punish your machine/Party: -> FIXED partially, everything on disk 1 works but it fails to detect disk 2
- Ventura/OVR: ok to main menu, then loader fails -> still broken
- European demos/OVR: boot loop

Fixed except Electra and European Demos. Thanks for the testing!

jamesrc
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby jamesrc » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:04 pm

Good grief. I go away for one day and all this stuff is fixed!

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 pm

I was just about to post something similar.

I've been away for a week, just checking Atari Forum on the ferry back home, and discover 4 pages of threads with this at the top. Tomorrow morning is going to be play time. Many thanks to all involved in this, especially slingshot, but also to all others that have worked in the background, especially (but not limited to) Till and ijor.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:41 am

A nice "best of ST demos running on MIST" youtube video would now be cool ....
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:18 am

sebdel wrote:Update with latest fixes:
:

Wow :cheers: . Thanks very much to all involved in this great project! :D
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:05 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:A nice "best of ST demos running on MIST" youtube video would now be cool ....

That would be cool. If somebody has a VGA capture card and could do an hour of recording, I volunteer for some movie editing.

jamesrc

Postby jamesrc » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Oh yes! That POV 117 menu sounds correct, now.

I'm going to keep testing things, but I think others will be much faster (that's life with a 3 year old).

Thanks so much for this. I always hoped the MiST could become my day to day ST (along with other systems) and these tireless efforts are making this a reality.

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi Slingshot,

Is there a possible port of this core to the MiSTer some day? It's progressing fast and seems to have features that FX Cast don't have at the moment. Anyways, great work!

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:28 am

I suggest to buy a real MIST. The more real MISTs are being used and owned the higher are the chances for future development like this. If you prefer the MISTer then it would probably make more sense to support people in optimizing the existing core for that.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:42 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:I suggest to buy a real MIST. The more real MISTs are being used and owned the higher are the chances for future development like this. If you prefer the MISTer then it would probably make more sense to support people in optimizing the existing core for that.

I was going to say something similar. I'm sure you're written off fxcast too quickly. Just give them some time to catch up with the latest developments.

Slingshot: no more testing from me this week, I'm on holiday. I wanted to take the mist on the beach but my wife veto'ed that.
I have plans from next week though. Now that the atari scene from before 1990 is taken care of , I want to test the best contemporary demos :)

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:08 am

The FX CAST is made from the original ST chipset, and this core is from the STe one. So they're not identical in deep level.

@sebdel: no problem, I think I'll also take a break from the development of this core for some days.

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:36 pm

I am not complaining about the new MiST(ery) core , I even enjoy the "old" one.
What I found major issue with this core : it is in fact a "multi-machine" core (ST/STe/MegaST(e)) so
what really missing is the option to have "profiles" (even on a config file) like (plain)ST with TOS 1.0
, STe etc, that could solve changing all the time the params (TOS/RAM/VIDEO) when someone is trying to test demos/games.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:55 pm

A simple way to switch between different setups would indeed be nice.

Another thing i was considering is to replace the whole config system by a system selection. You'd then switch between 260ST, 520ST, 1040STE, Mega ST2 ... and not modify a bunch of individual settings. That's imho more in the spirit of the new core exactly replicating the old machines.

But that would e.g. mean no more tos 2.06 ...

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am

I think only one more menu item is needed: apply a pre-defined settings set to the currently selected profile (if multiple profiles will done, currently to the only one profile).

solskogen
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby solskogen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Systematic Error (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=12305) does not run on the Mistery core (nor does it work on the MiST core)

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:20 pm

solskogen wrote:Systematic Error (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=12305) does not run on the Mistery core (nor does it work on the MiST core)

It's an STe demo and probably uses the Blitter.

sebdel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sebdel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:47 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:A simple way to switch between different setups would indeed be nice.

Another thing i was considering is to replace the whole config system by a system selection. You'd then switch between 260ST, 520ST, 1040STE, Mega ST2 ... and not modify a bunch of individual settings. That's imho more in the spirit of the new core exactly replicating the old machines.

But that would e.g. mean no more tos 2.06 ...

Have you ever consider connecting the firmware to a port of the ST (e.g. the parallel port) to allow writing a prg or a desktop a accessory to manage the profile? Just an idea, I'd love a proper gem interface to manage the mist settings :)

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I managed to test out the 23rd August version today, coincidentally trying two of my favourite demos that were initially checked by sebdel (Cuddly demos and DSOTS). Connected to a LCD screen via RGB SCART.

I'm seeing the same issues that were initially reported. The Cuddly fullscreen is much darker than it should be, other than at the top few lines that are nice and bright.
Temp01-.jpg

The rest of the demo - loading screens, main menu etc, seem to be fine.

The opening screen for DSOTS exhibits the same issue - the first few scan lines are bright but then it quickly fades.
Temp02-.jpg

I wondered whether it was something to do with fullscreen effects in particular, however other screens in DSOTS display with no issue.
Temp03-.jpg

Other than that, there's a glitch where the screen jumps about 8 pixels to the right for a couple of seconds, then back again for a few more. This repeats on all displayed screens, even a GEM desktop.

It would be fantastic to see these issues resolved, as it's an amazing feeling to see these demos booting on MiST hardware - something that I never thought would be achieved due to the cycle timings that needed to be achieved. :cheers:

EDIT: I just realised that sebdel had noted the dark fullscreen issues were fixed on VGA screens. Interesting, as I presume the scandoubler simply changes the horizontal clock, rather than performing any additional image processing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm

I explained the cause of the darkness already. I didn't want to alter the original screen for 15kHz modes, so it depends on your display. I've added a small hack to the scandoubler to force blank some pixels after the hsync (until DSOTS was good on my VGA screen).

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:29 pm

slingshot wrote:I explained the cause of the darkness already. I didn't want to alter the original screen for 15kHz modes, so it depends on your display. I've added a small hack to the scandoubler to force blank some pixels after the hsync (until DSOTS was good on my VGA screen).

That's fine, you don't need to be messing with settings thst risk breaking anything else.

I've got another LG TV, generally a bigger version of the one shown above, and I know that the two displays do sometimes behave differently. I'll give that one a try at some point and report back, just for info.

Any ideas about the image shifting across, I noticed that someone else reported the same thing?

Return to “MiST”