Sony PVM and MiST

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Xtro
Atari freak
Atari freak

Sony PVM and MiST

Postby Xtro » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi, I am about to buy a Sony PVM 1442QM monitor for using with the MiST / MiSTer, I actually have MiST connected to a CRT TV with a VGA to Scart cable with a USB for powering and it works very well. For the PVM I was thinking on buying an VGA to BNC cable, but the seller of the PVM adverts me that this monitor gives splitted H and V sync and doesn't work with RGB pi for example.
This monitor has another input that is DB9 input (I think this is CGA standard). Can I use an VGA to DB9 serial cable to connect the MiST?

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Sony PVM and MiST

Postby DrOG » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:17 am

I think it won't work, as the DB9 is a digital RGB input, needs TTL level voltages (5V) on red, green and blue pins, but the MiST(er) provides only maximum about 1V. The FPGAs have analogue video output with many colors, while CGA standard uses only 2 values per color (0V=off, 5V=on), and a separate 'Intensity' signal, which is obviously lacking from the MiST(er)'s video output. Besides CGA standard has separate horizontal and vertical sync signals, and accepts only 15kHz (interlaced) mode, but MiST(er) has only composite sync in 15kHz mode, separated syncs only in 31kHz (progressive) mode.

Xtro
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Sony PVM and MiST

Postby Xtro » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm

So if I understand correctly I must use VGA to BNC cable and connect H-Sync from the cable to the External Sync input on the PVM. Someone with PVM (and which model of PVM) can tell me how to connect? I readed that MiSTer is abble to give 5v to the VGA pin 9, maybe this can be used to connect to TTL input?

Return to “MiST”