MiST FPGA display question by FPGA newbie

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

bfollowell
Retro freak
Retro freak

MiST FPGA display question by FPGA newbie

Postby bfollowell » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm

I'm considering picking up a MiST FPGA and had a question. Initially, I thought this would be awesome way to be able to emulate several retro computers/consoles without tying my main computer up and giving me much more flexibility in relation to being able to use modern LCD displays. However, I've read some threads/comments lately that seem to imply that the MiST has the same display connection problems that plague the older systems themselves. Specifically, that, for the Atari ST core, for example, it can only be hooked up to monitors that support a 15kHz horizontal refresh rate.

I was hopeful to use this for several systems, but specifically for the Atari ST/STe and the Atari 8-bit.

Is anyone able to confirm this?

Thanks.

hwrdmonster
Atarian
Atarian

Re: MiST FPGA display question by FPGA newbie

Postby hwrdmonster » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 am

You can use the ST core with a standard VGA monitor.

I had thought the same thing initially, and for about a year after I bought a MiST. The ST core did not work for me at all. It turned out I was right-clicking the mouse and choosing "Save As..." instead of just clicking on the file to download. The only core that worked for me (I must have inadvertently just clicked the file to download) was the Amiga core. Now, all cores work for me!

I bought the Mist to:
- halt my ridiculous purchasing of so many old computers
- quick launch of a machine by placing an SD card in (no big long OS load)
- have a dedicated machine that won't have rotted away so quickly as my good old machines surely will.

DanyPPC
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DanyPPC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:25 am

VGA Output is for scandoubled frequencies and PAL/NTSC compatible ones, in this case you need a VGA > Scart Cable.
Recently it's available also a VGA > Component output through the use of a setting (ypbpr=1) that i'll soon test on my MiST.

Some TV/Monitors are capable of 50Hz in VGA, others none.
My TV/Monitor usually display those 50Hz screen in 56Hz mode, so I have no problem with Minimig, ST, C64, Vic20, ZX Spectrum and all the other cores which start in PAL mode.
But I use also a MiST clone (Mistica) on a PAL CRT Monitor, so that I can make comparisons.

Long life to MiST !

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:29 am

Most of the cores for MiST can work without the scan-doubler, so provide a 15KHz output via a VGA - SCART cable. Great if you're still using a CRT.

Depending on the LCD screen you use, you may find a TV with a SCART input (I use my MiST on a 37" LG LCD TV). If SCART isn't available, then as mentioned, many cores now support component output.

Finally, you have the option of enabling the scan doubler and using a direct VGA connection. Depending on your screen, it may not sync down to a 50Hz refresh. My TV won't (but then I'm just using SCART anyway so don't need VGA). I so have a smaller monitor that handles 50Hz if necessary. 60Hz through VGA is within standard anyway, so NTSC versions of cores should all be okay through VGA.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

hwrdmonster
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hwrdmonster » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:18 am

My oversight, my monitor is a CRT.

Philip 107E
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MiST”