[Solved] Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

AdvancedFollower
Atari User
Atari User

[Solved] Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

Postby AdvancedFollower » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 pm

So sadly, my MiST appears to be damaged. Today when trying to power on the device, I found the power cable a bit loose, and when I pulled it out, the entire micro-USB connector dislodged from the board and fell out.

I'm not good with a soldering iron, and the connector is so small, but how bad does this look, is it repairable, and what are my options? I bought the device from amigastore.eu, so I guess I'll email them and see if there's some kind of warranty... I got it just under a year ago, and I have been careful not to stress or strain the USB connector. If they can't do anything, I guess some kind of TV/radio repair shop should be able to fix it?
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Broken Micro-USB power connector MiST 1.3

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:20 pm

move R2 resistor to R1 place and solder barrel J1 connector instead of microUSB.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Yes - go for the barrel connector. A lot of Mist have this issue. Soldering should be easy. Of course you have to drill a hole in your metal case too. Normal handheld drill will do. Maybe there still pics for the procedure in this forum. Topic has been discussed previously. :coffe:

slingshot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 pm

AdvancedFollower
Atari User
Atari User

Postby AdvancedFollower » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

I ended up sending it to the man himself (Lotharek), who soldered on a barrel connector and drilled a hole in the case for it.
I just put a bit of black tape over the empty hole and it looks good as new :cheers:

Return to “MiST”