MiST Keypad Missing Brackets

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

gustinian
Atarian
Atarian

MiST Keypad Missing Brackets

Postby gustinian » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Perhaps someone knows a solution or at least a work-around for this: getting the non-standard number keypad keys working with a typical PC (or Mac) USB keyboard. In particular I'm trying to simulate the unusual bracket/parenthesis keys located on the top row of the keypad / numbed (the alternative shift-9 and shift-0 won't cut it). I know they have key codes 0x63 and 0x64 for '(' and ')' respectively.

I have tried the mist.ini swap keys method button but not being able to access the bracket keys means I've nothing to swap with...
Short of hacking the disassembled code of the software (Tunesmith) that relies on it, I'm stumped! I read the thread on getting certain keys on a German ST keyboard working (or not) and have a sinking feeling that it is not possible. Please tell me I'm wrong as I bought the MiST for mainly running Tunesmith. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiST Keypad Missing Brackets

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm

That's indeed not possible with the current firmware. Maybe it's possible to map those st keys onto some usb keycodes which usually don't exist. You could then use those codes when swapping keys. I'll have a look asap.

I'd never expect someone to ever miss those two keys ....
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

gustinian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gustinian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 am

Thank you for your near-instantaneous response - very much appreciated. The rest of the ST core is so complete that there can't be much left to polish - or is that naive? I've been putting off investigating programming FPGAs for too long and the MiST seems a very solid and versatile platform especially considering the chip is approaching a decade old. The MIDI ports are particularly compelling - plenty of potential with hardware synths and such. Is anyone working on porting a Forth stack-based core for example? Enjoying it immensely so far - trying all the existing core options - an excellent effort by yourself and many others.

For anyone interested in MIDI music and yet to discover Tunesmith, it is a realtime algorithmic music program that needs the keypad to transpose the (musical) key in real time, unfortunately the bracket keys are used for transposing to/from the keys of C and C# - i.e. hard to avoid. I imagine there are precious few ST games or programs that make use of all available (physical) keys. Musically, Tunesmith is a bit hit and miss but when the stars align it generates astonishingly beautiful music, and well worth venturing back in computer history for - it is the 'precious' in 'precious few' you could say.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 am

Please install the latest firmware from https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... r/firmware

It maps the keypad ( and ) to PC PrintScr and End which were unused so far. Of course you can now also remap them as you want.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 am

Just a typo:

Names of files should be firmware_180912.xxx instead of firmware_180812.xxx

gustinian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gustinian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you so much, the 'Show Key Codes' widget confirms that TOS recognises the offending keys. I'll give remapping a try with Tunesmith next. Excellent!

Return to “MiST”