Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Mist Power Supply.

Postby seastalker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:16 pm

OFFICIALLY:
Power supply

The board is powered via micro USB. The board draws ca. 300mA/5V. Additional power is required for attached perpherals. A total of 400mA is sufficient. The board can thus easily be powered from any PC USB port (providing 500mA) or standard USB phone charger (providing 1200mA).

I have a 5.3V 2.0A Samsung adapter. Would the extra .3V be unhealthy and ill advised for a MIST?

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Mist Power Supply.

Postby xc8 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:29 am

USB power specs is 5v +- 5% , I doubt the extra .3v will do any harm, but this depends on how the MiST is designed (eg if there is any voltage regulator installed) (Till and Lotharek know better)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:26 am

I don't remember schematic precisely, but 5V should go only to USB devices, as all chips (FPGA, MCU) are 3.3v and powered through onboard DC-DC converter.

schombi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby schombi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:24 am

I´d buy a correctly rated, good quality PSU, e.g. from Amazon. Why would one want to risk his precious MiST board, just to save a few €?

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:44 pm

schombi wrote:I´d buy a correctly rated, good quality PSU, e.g. from Amazon. Why would one want to risk his precious MiST board, just to save a few €?

OP mentioned "Samsung adapter", I assume for mobile phones/tablets (fixed cable with micro usb), on that case, the voltage on the end of the cable is 5v due to voltage drop.

arty
Atari User
Atari User

Postby arty » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:43 pm

I used to power my MiST v1.3 via standard travel charger with 5V and 2.1A Max Output and everything OK so far. 2$ solution from nearby mall :D
Suggestions from Sorgelig have a practical sense.
…………ıllıllı just a friend ıllıllı…………

AdvancedFollower
Atari User
Atari User

Postby AdvancedFollower » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:01 pm

xc8 wrote:
schombi wrote:I´d buy a correctly rated, good quality PSU, e.g. from Amazon. Why would one want to risk his precious MiST board, just to save a few €?

OP mentioned "Samsung adapter", I assume for mobile phones/tablets (fixed cable with micro usb), on that case, the voltage on the end of the cable is 5v due to voltage drop.

True, the USB cable itself can cause quite a noticeable voltage drop. With my Raspberry Pi, I actually had to switch to a shorter, thicker USB cable because the VDrop was so severe. That's probably why the charger is 5.3V in the first place, in order to make sure it's providing 5V at the other end of the cable.

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hyperterminal » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:22 am

In case anyone wants to know, these are the power requirements for the MiSTer:

• plug: 5,5x2,1mm center positive
  • voltage supply: 5V
  • current: 2A recommended (1,2A was enough when testing without expansion boards)

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes, I would not want to ever damage a MiST. Of course if it was a non-issue then the worry of damage would not apply. I was curious on a technical level IF the extra voltage % would be on reserve like Amp draw and if for the parts that needed it, it would not matter. I'm no electrician. :)
Funny there should be mention of the Pi- Try as I may, I read reviews and got the official psu, a stronger aftermarket and even a REALLY strong USB hub
a reviewer mentioned and I can't get that lightning bolt to go away. I know I can disable the indicator but if there is a problem, there's a problem... ALSO in part why I wondered if UNDER-voltage was more frequent an issue and to not worry about the MiST scenario.

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:50 pm

How are you measuring the voltage? Odds are you're fine, the DC-DC voltage limiter on the MiST should just dump the excess voltage as heat (not much of it since we're talking about .3v). If it's really a concern you could put a voltage regulator inline, but that would be redundant since that's more or less what's on the PCB already.

Return to “MiST”