New AMIGA Audio engine - can someone build please?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Higgy
Atari freak
Atari freak

New AMIGA Audio engine - can someone build please?

Postby Higgy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello,

I saw that someone recently rebuilt a new implementation of the AMIGA's Audio engine which has solved a few issues. Is it possible for someone to build a new Core using this audio engine with the latest MiST Minimig Core?

Audio Engine file http://www.minimig.net/download/file.php?id=743

Forum Post - http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=633

Latest MiST Minimig info - http://somuch.guru/minimig/minimig-mist/#links

Source Code - https://github.com/rkrajnc/minimig-mist/releases

I looked at the 'how to build from Source' instructions, but I don't think I have a enough knowledge to follow the instructions :(

Thanks

Kujako
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: New AMIGA Audio engine - can someone build please?

Postby Kujako » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 pm

If no one else has by the weekend, I'll give it a shot. Building it should be no problem, but I'm not sure it will run on the MiST without modification.

DanyPPC
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm

What are the fixes ?

Kujako
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Kujako » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:31 pm

DanyPPC wrote:What are the fixes ?

Looks to be primarily channel modulation, preventing "echoing" that people are hearing on some audio using the minimig core.

DanyPPC
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DanyPPC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

dBUGBUG
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dBUGBUG » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Would donations introduced to the developing process help speed the cores up ? :-D :cheers: :shrug: :angel: :mrgreen:

Kujako
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Kujako » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Turns out I lied... wont have time to do anything with this, at least not this weekend.

robinsonb5
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby robinsonb5 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Just to save duplicated effort in case anyone else decides to have a go at this, I have now ported this to MIST but uncovered a couple of bugs in the new engine which I've reported to Madeho. One we have a fix I'll post a link to a core for testing.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:42 am

:cheers: VERY NICE !!! :cheers:

AdvancedFollower
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AdvancedFollower » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:21 am

Sounds good! Will it be possible to merge those changes into the latest "beta" core (1.2.2 Beta from 2017-01-15)? Even though it's "beta", it fixes a lot more issues than it causes, and is more stable than the 1.2 release from 2016.

robinsonb5
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby robinsonb5 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:45 pm

AdvancedFollower wrote:Sounds good! Will it be possible to merge those changes into the latest "beta" core (1.2.2 Beta from 2017-01-15)? Even though it's "beta", it fixes a lot more issues than it causes, and is more stable than the 1.2 release from 2016.

Yes, that's the version I'm using as a base - the "Dev" branch of Chaos's gitub repo.

Kujako
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Kujako » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:40 am

robinsonb5 wrote:Just to save duplicated effort in case anyone else decides to have a go at this, I have now ported this to MIST but uncovered a couple of bugs in the new engine which I've reported to Madeho. One we have a fix I'll post a link to a core for testing.

Thank you for being less lazy than I.

AdvancedFollower
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AdvancedFollower » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:54 pm

robinsonb5 wrote:
AdvancedFollower wrote:Sounds good! Will it be possible to merge those changes into the latest "beta" core (1.2.2 Beta from 2017-01-15)? Even though it's "beta", it fixes a lot more issues than it causes, and is more stable than the 1.2 release from 2016.

Yes, that's the version I'm using as a base - the "Dev" branch of Chaos's gitub repo.

Awesome! IMO it doesn't make sense to designate it as "Beta" when it is the most stable core and hasn't been updated for over a year, but that's another discussion :shrug:
Anyway looking forward to trying out the new audio engine :)

lips2k15
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby lips2k15 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:15 pm

I was wondering how I would go about overclocking the amiga core by changing the clock settings in the source code... is this possible ? I would like to start working on the amiga core but am a bit of a beginner when it comes to fpga develompment. Any tips or advice?

robinsonb5
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby robinsonb5 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:55 am

lips2k15 wrote:I was wondering how I would go about overclocking the amiga core by changing the clock settings in the source code... is this possible ? I would like to start working on the amiga core but am a bit of a beginner when it comes to fpga develompment. Any tips or advice?

If you want to learn about FPGA development, I'd strongly recommend not starting with the Amiga core. Get a firm understanding of a much simpler core first.

The reason for this is that the Amiga core is somewhat "brittle" timing-wise, and you're likely to get occasional bad builds that simply don't work, not because you've done anything wrong, but just because that build was bad. There are random elements to how the place-and-route process works, and every change to the codebase re-rolls the dice regarding what gets placed where within the the FPGA. A well-structured project with timing constraints that match the the behaviour of the design will build successfully every time; the Amiga core, sadly, is not such a project, and its CPU core is very difficult to constrain, so learning by tinkering with this particular core is likely to be frustrating.

You might find some of my ramblings on the subject of FPGAs enlightening: http://retroramblings.net/

AdvancedFollower
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AdvancedFollower » Fri May 18, 2018 7:53 am

I believe the clock frequency of the Amiga core was even lowered at one point in order to maintain stability. It would of course be nice with Vampire-like performance on the MiST, but stability and compatibility come first, IMO.

BTW, any news on the audio engine?

robinsonb5
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby robinsonb5 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 am

AdvancedFollower wrote:BTW, any news on the audio engine?

I ported it and found a couple of bugs, one of which the author fixed pretty much immediately, but nothing seem to have happened since. When I next get a chance to play with it, I'll see if I can find the bug myself.

Return to “MiST”