Menu core example setup?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Menu core example setup?

Postby Kujako » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:07 pm

In theory, my MiST arrives today. So getting the SD card together. I want to use the menu core, but not seeing much about how to setup the directory structure for use with it. Anyone have any examples they can share?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Menu core example setup?

Postby Newsdee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:32 pm

You just need to put all the cores in the root folder.

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Newsdee wrote:You just need to put all the cores in the root folder.

Fair enough, was hoping it could load from sub-folders.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:34 am

Kujako wrote:

Fair enough, was hoping it could load from sub-folders.

That's only possible in MISTer. There are also cores that need certain folders but you can find details in the readme files in Github.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:32 am

And one important thing: the one you want to start automatically after powering on the MiST you need to rename to 'core.rbf' (of course without apostrophes ;-) ).

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:25 pm

DrOG wrote:

And one important thing: the one you want to start automatically after powering on the MiST you need to rename to 'core.rbf' (of course without apostrophes ;-) ).

Yup, have it up and running. Putting all the different core and associated files in the root makes my OCD itch, but I'll live.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:37 am

Kujako wrote:Yup, have it up and running. Putting all the different core and associated files in the root makes my OCD itch, but I'll live.

I split my cores across multiple cards, sometimes by family. It helps pre-select what you want for lack of folders :)

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Newsdee wrote:
Kujako wrote:Yup, have it up and running. Putting all the different core and associated files in the root makes my OCD itch, but I'll live.

I split my cores across multiple cards, sometimes by family. It helps pre-select what you want for lack of folders :)

Too lazy to swap cards, besides with 8GB there's more than enough room for everything on one. I just have separate folders for disk images and ROMs.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 am

I agree with Newsdee:

It's practical to use more small capacity memory cards as some cores have specific needs to work properly. I.e. the MSX and BBC Micro use FAT16 formatted plain (not HC) SD cards. Sometimes they need special given order of files copied to the card (BBC Micro again and perhaps Amstrad CPC - earlier releases surely had this issue).

Besides, if you put all cores to one card, it will be overcrowded with not only .rbf files, but with necessary additional ROMs, boot disks (i.e. the minimig core handles .hdf files from root only) and folders of games...

Kujako
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kujako » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:22 pm

DrOG wrote:I agree with Newsdee:

It's practical to use more small capacity memory cards as some cores have specific needs to work properly. I.e. the MSX and BBC Micro use FAT16 formatted plain (not HC) SD cards. Sometimes they need special given order of files copied to the card (BBC Micro again and perhaps Amstrad CPC - earlier releases surely had this issue).

Besides, if you put all cores to one card, it will be overcrowded with not only .rbf files, but with necessary additional ROMs, boot disks (i.e. the minimig core handles .hdf files from root only) and folders of games...

Currently I'm only using Atari, Amiga and PC Engine cores. So far, no issues with having everything on the one SD card and using the menu core to pick one on boot. I agree, that if I expand to MSX etc I'll probably put those on their own card. But with what I have the various ROMs and disk images are in sub folders, so no confusion or mess.

Return to “MiST”