https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

atomicmidi
Atarian
Atarian

MIST MIDI questions

Postby atomicmidi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 am

Hi guys, first post so be kind!

Recently acquired a MIST FPGA Atari ST core computer and was wondering what are the options for MIDI expansion. I want to use this machine as a MIDI sequencer so just wondering if it can be expanded for more MIDI outs. Also, I think the MIDI board on it is connected via serial port, perhaps there is an interface that could connect to the serial port directly?

Eddie /Belfast/

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: MIST MIDI questions

Postby vebxenon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Here you can find the information about the original MIDI Addon (MiST 1.3 for example has integrated MIDI)

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/MidiAddon
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 pm

This seems to be a shortcoming of the MIST design, I talk about it some more in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=115&t=32998&p=339804#p339804

It's a shame, because with just a few extra I/O pins from the FPGA it could be an amazing little sequencer box.

One possibility I considered is to use STE DMA sound and a fancy audio-to-MIDI converter unit. Whether this will work depends on so many factors. It might also be possible to design some kind of device that uses spare pixels on the VGA port to output MIDI data.

moebiusrising
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby moebiusrising » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:04 am

Foxie wrote:This seems to be a shortcoming of the MIST design, I talk about it some more in this thread: http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 04#p339804

It's a shame, because with just a few extra I/O pins from the FPGA it could be an amazing little sequencer box.

One possibility I considered is to use STE DMA sound and a fancy audio-to-MIDI converter unit. Whether this will work depends on so many factors. It might also be possible to design some kind of device that uses spare pixels on the VGA port to output MIDI data.

I own a MiST 1.3 - it is a shame you can't run dongled software (Cubase, Logic), so one has to resort to other means <nudge nudge wink wink>, but your next best solution aside from being limited to 16-Channels is to acquire a MIDI Thru or MIDI merger box. I use the MIDI Solutions Quadra (1-in / 4-out).

Still, would be nice to have SMPTE sync, plus the myriad of other solutions but it isn't a total loss.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:51 pm

I did some rough calculations. It appears you can get about four MIDI outputs from the audio output. You can't quite saturate all four outputs simultaneously, about 80% is possible. Not much hardware would be needed to do this. It will only work if the MIST has a sufficiently high PWM frequency. It also requires DMA sound, I don't know for sure if the ST core supports it.

The Cubase driver could be made by modifying the Friend Chip MM1 driver.

Ultimately though, it's not the best solution. You still only have 5 outputs, not enough. Someone with skills in VHDL/Verilog could do so much better by making a clone of the MIST with a proper amount of MIDI I/O.

Return to “MiST”