https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

kortina
Retro freak
Retro freak

Mist Amiga Display

Postby kortina » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 am

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a MiST, with the primary usage of reliving my old Amiga.

I purchased the SCART 15khz cable too.

I have got an old Grundig 70cm Widescreen CRT, which I have connected the MiST to (using SCART).

I have set the picture to 4:3. The picture quality is not entirely what I expected.

Back in the day using my Commodore 1081 monitor, Workbench and games had a rock solid image (unless using an interlaced res, where you got the flicker shaking).

Using the Grundig and Mist, I find that even lo-res displays a bit of flicker. This is more noticeable on Workbench with long horizontal lines for the windows that are drawn.

Is this expected? or is this some stupid progressive-to-interlace junk that the Grundig is doing?

What is everyone else using to display, and what sort of results do you have (good/bad)?

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Mist Amiga Display

Postby ericgus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:28 am

As I live in the states we dont have SCART here (thats was only a thing in europe).. so I use a VGA monitor (direct connection) .. the monitor I am using is a Samsung 715v LCD panel.. I have also heard good things about BenQ monitors but have not tried them myself.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:15 am

Most cores provide progressive video either 288p50 or 240p60. The video signal is not always conform PAL/NTSC standards and thus some TVs can wrongly treat these resolutions as 576i50 or 480i60 and thus use wrong video processing.

RobertK
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby RobertK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:28 pm

@kortina: you probably mean the AGA core, as the Minimig Amiga core is not yet 15 Khz-capable AFAIK.

All I can say is that I have a 72 cm 4:3 Panasonic CRT TV that I bought in 2004, and the AGA core picture running an old Amiga game looks to me exactly like the one that my Amiga 1000 produces on this TV via SCART cable. Not all old games run on AGA (or on the AGA core respectively), but Wings of Fury does, and I wouldn't know whether this is MIST or a real Amiga that I'm playing it on.

I never had an AGA Amiga, so I can't judge the picture of AGA games.

Have you tried it on a different TV yet? Try to get a 4:3 CRT TV as well, as long as they are still widely available almost for free. I hope you have the required space at home. :)

DrChaos
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby DrChaos » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Which Grundig do you use? A 100Hz??

kortina
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby kortina » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I have tried with the Grundig - Elegance 70 (16:9) set
Issue: Some weird progressive to interlace conversion. Games and Workbench shake like an interlaced image.

Loewe Calida 5684z - Massive 84cm 4:3 set
Issue: Really bad colour bleeding. Image gets a smear of anything that moved

Will borrow another mates 51cm - SCART enabled CRT and give it a go.

Probably should have read this: http://scarthunter.blogspot.com.au/2013 ... z-sux.html

DrChaos
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby DrChaos » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes, try a 4:3 non 100Hz first and see if you like that better, it's often that...
However, even in non-100Hz there may be differences, the 1084 is a pretty good monitor...

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 am

The (or one) problem with modern TVs is that they need to do some heavy processing on those ancient video signals to scale them nicely. Thus they to different extent reply on the video signal to be close to what the video standards describe which e.g. is an interlaced signal. Always! Since a valid low definition TV signal always was/is interlaced.

Those old retro computers usually output some progressive not interlaced signal which ws fine for all the simple TV electronics back in the days. A modern TV which expects a valid PAL or NTSC TV signal may struggle with the fact that the retro computers signal is _not_ a valid PAL or NTSC signal.

There's unfortunately not much we can do about this ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

DrChaos
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby DrChaos » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:08 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:There's unfortunately not much we can do about this ...

Besides getting a cheap non 100Hz TV ;) Things could be worse :wink:

Return to “MiST”