https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

kortina
Atarian
Atarian

Mist Amiga Partitions (noob)

Postby kortina » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:22 am

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking here for a little while, and recently ordered a Mist (very cool device!).

I am keen to re-create my old Amiga (with tweaks).

I have got a 16gb card, and I have successfully added ClassicWB (System.hdf) to a FAT32 SD card.

I am attempting to add a 8000Mb second disk, so that I can fit all the WHDLoad content.

As Fat32 has a 4Gb limit, I attempted to use MiniTool Partition Wizard (Win10) to create two partitions on the 16Gb SD card.

I read that the MiniMig core has a 8Gb limit (bug?)

I booted ClassicWB, added the scsi.device, copied the pfs3 into L:

I successfully found the additional drive, and added the custom pfs3 driver. However, every time I save and format it seems to kill the SD card !?

Windows will still see the two partitions, however the data is gone, and the Mist no longer boots.

Any recommendations on the best config?

(my failsafe is to just create two 4000Mb HDF files, however I want to know what I am doing wrong)

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Mist Amiga Partitions (noob)

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:11 pm

try 7500MB and see if it will work.
I use 7000MB as second partition. On Minimig i use 1GB of HDF file as a primary boot HDD, and second SD partition as a second HDD. I use SFS for 7GB partition. Works good. Make sure you use quick format. Full format of big partitions may destroy the data.

bernouilli
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby bernouilli » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:23 pm

I doubt that creating more than one partition on the sdcard is a good choice. And I don't see how this would solve your problem of having a file greater than 4GB.
The best solution is to have a 4GB file for the whdload content. And if you need more, create a second one.

bernouilli

Postby bernouilli » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Sorgelig's anwser makes things clearer.
The first partition is a regular fat32 partition with the files for mist and a HDF file for minimig and the second partition is formated by the amiga core and only used by the amiga core.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:59 pm

What I was wondering myself is.. can you format the second partition as fat32 .. and then mount that under Amiga OS as a fat32 partition with something like fat95? This would allow you to be able to directly write to the second partition on your desktop computer and from Amiga OS when in the Mist.. ? .. has anyone done this? Obviously on the first partition, Like Sorgelig does, use an HDF file to "boot" the amiga from the first partition. (note im not talking about booting directly from the fat32 second partition just mounting it as a "work" or "data" secondary hard drive in Amiga OS ..

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:15 pm

There is no practical reason to use second partition with FAT32. You can simply use first partition with the same result plus you will be able to see in in windows (windows doesn't show more than one partition on removable storage).
So people claimed they can mount FAT32 volume under Amiga, but i'm skeptical about it. I know you can use fat95 with PCMCIA storage, but i never saw any guide how to use HDD with fat95... Would be good if Minimig will support PCMCIA. That would solve the importing problem. I've just posted this idea on Minimig repository, although i don't hope much..

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Sorgelig wrote:There is no practical reason to use second partition with FAT32. You can simply use first partition with the same result plus you will be able to see in in windows (windows doesn't show more than one partition on removable storage).
So people claimed they can mount FAT32 volume under Amiga, but i'm skeptical about it. I know you can use fat95 with PCMCIA storage, but i never saw any guide how to use HDD with fat95... Would be good if Minimig will support PCMCIA. That would solve the importing problem. I've just posted this idea on Minimig repository, although i don't hope much..

I don't use windows and in OSX the second partition shows up just fine.. so that is really only a "windows problem" ..

2017-01-23 at 12.35 PM.png

that said it would be nice to have some way of "sharing" a common area to faciliatate transferring programs and such to/from the amiga simply by inserting the SD card into a computer and copying files..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kortina
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kortina » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Sorgelig wrote:try 7500MB and see if it will work.
I use 7000MB as second partition. On Minimig i use 1GB of HDF file as a primary boot HDD, and second SD partition as a second HDD. I use SFS for 7GB partition. Works good. Make sure you use quick format. Full format of big partitions may destroy the data.

Thanks Sorgelig.

How did you create the partitions?

EG:
Primary, Logical, Extended etc...

My plan was to run the main System.hdf (ClassicWB) at 3.5GB.
I have put WinUAE on the SD card, and launch it with -Portable. This allows me to run the same machine on WinUAE. With the extra space I can copy content on to DH0: then when back on the MiST, move it to DH1: (the second partition).

I will try again (tonight) with 7500MB, and SFS.

kortina
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kortina » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:16 pm

bernouilli wrote:I doubt that creating more than one partition on the sdcard is a good choice. And I don't see how this would solve your problem of having a file greater than 4GB.
The best solution is to have a 4GB file for the whdload content. And if you need more, create a second one.

Hi bernouilli,

By having two partitions on the SD card, the first partition is formatted with FAT32. This allows the MiST and cores to read the content. This partition holds a .hdf file for the DH0: drive in the Amiga.

The second partition is not formatted, and is passed to the Amiga as a drive attached to the Slave IDE controller. This will ensure that the 4GB limit of the FAT32 filesystem is not in play.

Yes, there is a quirk that Windows will not show you the second partition on the SD card, but being SFS or PFS3 formatted you cant use it on Windows anyway. Might be handy to pass it to WinUAE (will test).

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 pm

I still don't see any reason to make 2 FAT32 partitions. One FAT32 partition will be enough.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:00 am

Sorgelig wrote:I still don't see any reason to make 2 FAT32 partitions. One FAT32 partition will be enough.

Im open to anyway that "works" to accomplish the goal .. :D

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:00 am

Interested to read out it turns out.

I'm only using hardfiles as it enables me to easily copy / backup them, have different ones...
So I made 2*4 GB hardfiles. With the latest TinyLauncher, your whdload collection can be spread over 2 partitions (if that's your concern).
8 GB would be perfect for games indeed. Personally I use a first 4 GB PFS hardfile for the OS + a selection of WHDLoad games and a second hardfile (both are mounted) with the complete MODS ANTHOLOGY collection + Whdload demos.
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 am

I also use two 2 GB hardfiles, just like I had in my (now sold) Amiga 1200 in its hard disk. I use also iGame as WHDLOAD frontend. If i need to copy something to these images, I use WinUAE.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 am

1) Although WinUAE can be used to transfer files to/from Amiga HDD, it's good to have the way to transfer WITHOUT WinUAE. If we will find the way to mount FAT32 partition inside Minimig core, then WinUAE won't be required. For mass import/export WinUAE is the best solution, while for couple files transfer would be better to make without WinUAE.
2) If SD card has more than one partition where second one is formatted exclusively for Minimig, WinUAE cannot access a second partition. It requires more complex and time consuming workaround.
I prefer to keep AmigaOS on first HDD and WHDLoad games on second HDD. I don't want to mix games with OS because sometimes i want to change or completely reinstall OS. Thus keeping games on separate HDD(~8GB) is more convenient for me.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

Sorgelig wrote:1) Although WinUAE can be used to transfer files to/from Amiga HDD, it's good to have the way to transfer WITHOUT WinUAE. If we will find the way to mount FAT32 partition inside Minimig core, then WinUAE won't be required. For mass import/export WinUAE is the best solution, while for couple files transfer would be better to make without WinUAE.

For example, I had a Compact Flash PCMCIA adapter for my Amiga 1200 and it supported FAT32 :cheers: , hope someday USB mass storage will be supported on Amiga Core.

Regards,

Salva

PS: I have two hardfiles just for having AmigaOS (Workbench) and programs in one partition and games in another one.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:31 pm

WinUAE is only a good solution for windows users .. other platforms Amiga emulation doesn't have as polished a UI as winuae. I agree that finding a "non WinUAE" way is a good idea .. not to mention potentially much faster.

solskogen
Atari User
Atari User

Postby solskogen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 pm

FS-UAE for Linux, OSX and Windows is quite good. amiberry/uae4arm-rpi if you have a Raspberry 2 or 3.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 pm

solskogen wrote:FS-UAE for Linux, OSX and Windows is quite good. amiberry/uae4arm-rpi if you have a Raspberry 2 or 3.

Yes it works well but the UI isn't up to speed with the features the WinUAE gui has..

for example, you have to pre-select all the ADF images, etc you want to use in the emulator BEFORE you launch it, you can't select one after the emulator is running, you in effect have to pre-queue them for use .. once the emulator starts you can only select from the images you pre-selected. etc.. its lacking in a lot of usability areas.. (again, im talking about the launcher GUI not the emulator itself)

kortina
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kortina » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 am

@mahen @Sorgelig

After a night of playing with 7500Mb partitions and SFS, I have somewhat given up.

I had the same issues with SFS as with PFS3, I can create a second (unformatted) partition on the SD card, expose it to the Amiga.
However after dealing with all the +4Gb issues, I still end up nuking something during the format process.

I have opted for 2 x HDF files (Workbench and Games).

Workbench = ClassicWB - 500Mb
Games = 4Gb - FFS formatted volume, with a WHDLoad directory.

I have also put WinUAE on the SD card, and added the two volumes, plus a PC folder. This makes it easy to transfer files.
Also have given the WinUAE machine a 040 processor, 32meg ram and not matching clock, so it is FAST!

After transferring every game starting with A, I found that the list in iGame is a bit overwhelming.

I think my desires to hold the entire library on MiST have faded. I am sure I can live with 4Gb volume and put just the desirable stuff on it.
Quality over Quantity.

bernouilli

Postby bernouilli » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Can't you put two HDF files of 4GB each and use them with WHDLoad? Having two drives (plus the one for WB) for WHDLoad instead of one?

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Yes you can have 2x4 GB HDF as we mentioned above ; also TinyLauncher supports games collections spread over several partitions (and xbench too, though lists are not merged).

You should try XBench. It's not perfect but you can have different lists, you can have favorites, most used games... and screenshots are coming.

Another nice solution is to do everything by hand : select your favorite games, put them in drawers according to their categories, and start them via the WB. This way you can see the nice icons, edit tooltypes etc. Just don't forget to use FBlit + newicons in RTG mode to save CHIP memory.
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Has anyone tried "giggledisk" to help mount a second fat formatted SD card partition as the second hard disk.

i.e. split an SD card into 2 partitions .. both FAT .. in Mist setup boot hard drive as an HDF file on the first partition where the core.rbf resides, the second partition formatted as fat .. mount this second one with giggledisk .. (granted on windows machines you wont see the second parition but for other OS's you will Linux/OSX)

http://www.geit.de/eng_giggledisk.html

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 am

what's the advantage to have 2 FAT partitions?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:09 am

Sorgelig wrote:what's the advantage to have 2 FAT partitions?

They had trouble with a partition bigger than 4GB, so this gives them more storage without the hassle :wink:

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 am

Newsdee wrote:They had trouble with a partition bigger than 4GB, so this gives them more storage without the hassle :wink:

Minimig has no problem with partitions and drives up to 8GB.
But i think, it's just false assumption that you cannot use primary FAT partition because there is HDF image on this partition. There is no conflicts actually and even primary partition can be mounted as a second HDD while having hdf on the same partition and mounted as primary HDD.

I've looked ad giggledisk before and found it too complicated. And the fact that second HDD can be swapped between FAT and SFS/PFS just adds more mess.
That's why i think PCMCIA support in Minimig could be very helpful.

Return to “MiST”