m68000 reverse engineered

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: m68000 reverse engineered

Postby Newsdee » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Speaking of decapping, I found out a couple of days ago that Mamedevs, Kevtris and others have been busy decapping Game & Watch MCUs, and as a result the latest MAME/MESS can emulate quite a lot of LCD games!

Apparently most are based off the TMS-1000 with some extra bits. Is there an open source TMS core? With some kind of general handling to translate the artwork (.svg in MAME) it could make nice little HDL project.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:08 pm

1st1 wrote:Why always this double work? Why not cooperate to make an advanced design even better?

Because this is a hobby, not work.

One of my longterm projects is to build a simple 68000 computer from scratch using real chips. By your logic that's a complete waste of time, since this has been done many times before. I don't care. In the end I'll have a small, very slow computer that nobody else has and which only runs programs I've written or adapted myself. Very irrational, but fun, interesting and very satisfying.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:27 pm

joska wrote:Because this is a hobby, not work.

we have a German saying like: hobby is to achieve the weakest possible result with largest possible effort.

sometimes very true, but as long as it's fun, I don't care. And what's fun for me is my own business. Solely.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:21 pm

Also of side note, I think the site http://visual6502.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... collection has an ongoing effort to decap and readout a huge list of other chips including the m68k .. along with a bunch of proprietary chips (eg. Amiga custom chips, Atari, Nintendo, etc)

Return to “MiST”