https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

sblendorio
Atari freak
Atari freak

RS232 and/or Parallel Centronics ports

Postby sblendorio » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi,

is it in plans, a model with RS232 &/| Centronics parallel port for (i.e.) using printers & null-modem cables on an Amiga-on-MIST?

Thanks in advance!

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: RS232 and/or Parallel Centronics ports

Postby ericgus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:39 pm

Well on the Amiga core you can repurpose the midi connector on the mist board for general serial (but you might need a voltage leveler if you plan on using it with normal serial type devices)

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:19 am

Here is a link to someone doing the mod .. note you have to mind the voltages .. some serial uses higher levels... check before connecting anything..

(hes linking to a raspberry Pi running TCPSER since the pi and the mist are voltage compatible its ok to go directly without using a voltage leveler)

http://blog.paradroyd.com/post/13461072 ... -mist-fpga

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:22 am

I believe link speed can be much faster if use some custom interface.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:23 am

Isn't RS232 already used for debug? Or is that only accessible by the ARM IO controller?

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:03 am

Newsdee wrote:Isn't RS232 already used for debug? Or is that only accessible by the ARM IO controller?

I dont think it is .. though I suppose it depends on the core.. on the Amiga minimig core you can get 115k speeds which should be more than enough for most people.

See the link I put above, he can use the serial link for the fpga midi connector as a standard serial port on the amiga core.

(in the link he is wiring it to a raspberry pi .. which in turn is running TCPSER to emulate a Hayes modem to let you "dial" over the internet via telnet, to the amiga core on the mist it looks like hes connected to an old school hayes type modem, but for the purposes of this discussion its "serial" rx/tx )

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:20 am

There are 2 RS232 interfaces on MIST board:
1) RS232 on ARM - used for FW debug
2) GPIO on FPGA - used for MIDI on some cores. Since it's just general purpose FPGA "legs" - it can be used as any double-wire interface including RS232.

sblendorio
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sblendorio » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 pm

To have a complete MIST+case+ports including RS232 DB-9 connector, it should be asked to producers? (Lotharek for example)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:43 pm

I just pass thin cables from inside the MiST through the top of the case. It deforms the case very slightly but avoids having to have it open.

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:11 am

Sorgelig wrote:There are 2 RS232 interfaces on MIST board:
1) RS232 on ARM - used for FW debug
2) GPIO on FPGA - used for MIDI on some cores. Since it's just general purpose FPGA "legs" - it can be used as any double-wire interface including RS232.

Sorgelig how hard would this be to enable the GPIO on the FPGA serial for the FPGA64 core? (The Commodore 64 "user port" is the rs232 port for the c64) .. I'd give it a go myself but as you previously mentioned the source is not available publicly so I can't even try .. This would be great to have this available (like it is on the Amiga and Atari ST cores) .. there are a number of us who could use this (with the previously mentioned TCPSER on a RasPi to connect to the outside world to connect to internet based Commodore BBSs -- yes they are out there even today!)

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:00 am

ericgus wrote:Sorgelig how hard would this be to enable the GPIO on the FPGA serial for the FPGA64 core? (The Commodore 64 "user port" is the rs232 port for the c64) .. I'd give it a go myself but as you previously mentioned the source is not available publicly so I can't even try .. This would be great to have this available (like it is on the Amiga and Atari ST cores) .. there are a number of us who could use this (with the previously mentioned TCPSER on a RasPi to connect to the outside world to connect to internet based Commodore BBSs -- yes they are out there even today!)

This would be very useful to me as well! Incidentally, this is the serial port available on connector SV2. I use this a LOT with the Amiga core for BBSing and as a serial console to administer Linux machines. Works great at 115,200 baud in the Amiga core, even though it's only 3 wire (4th wire is power).

Unfortunately, I can not do this with the ST core as MIDI is routed there, and as far as I know, it can't be re-routed at this time. I use a USB-serial interface for the ST, which is unfortunately a lot slower.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon

ericgus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ericgus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:54 am

I should have added here is the mappings for the C64 userport to rs232 ..

Connect the RS232-TTL module directly to the C64 user port edge connector using the table below.

Code: Select all

RS232-TTL               C64 User Port Pin
GND                     A & N
TXD                     M
RXD                     B & C
VCC                     2

If needed here is a bit more details on the c64 user port https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/User_Port

duhproject
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby duhproject » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:57 pm

This would be a great feature on the MiST for the c64 core. I use this a lot as well on the Amiga to connect out to various BBSs, but one for the c64 would allow us to see proper PETSCII systems and use the great 40 column terminal programs.

Return to “MiST”