https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

FPU for the MiST?

Postby iceman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if say a 68882 has been implemented in the MiST core? I want to get NetBSD running on it :D

I'd check myself, but I don't have access to my MiST at the moment because all my monitors are about 8,000 miles away on a boat!
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: FPU for the MiST?

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:19 am

There imho isn't a 6888x in hdl. But of course anyone is welcone to contribute one as a companion to the tg68k.

But I doubt it's worth the effort. Yes, running a few fractal demos and netbsd sure would be good for a few minutes of fun. But is that really worth hundrets of hours of work implementing a 6888x? I doubt it ... but I'd be the last one to complain if someone does it .....
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm pretty sure NetBDSD needs MMU too (unlike e.g. Atari MiNT) and AFAIK MiST doesn't emulate one yet?

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:38 am

For NetBSD and Linux (proper, not uCLinux), an MMU is needed, not FPU.
-- kolla

jotego
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby jotego » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 pm

I think both the MMU and the FPU make for interesting digital design projects. I am not so sure how much value they add to the community as anyone using old software requiring an FPU will be better off using modern software. I do not think that scientific software has the emotional attachment that videogames have.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:44 pm

jotego wrote:I think both the MMU and the FPU make for interesting digital design projects. I am not so sure how much value they add to the community as anyone using old software requiring an FPU will be better off using modern software. I do not think that scientific software has the emotional attachment that videogames have.

Well, a lot of Amiga software has FPU enhanced versions, software for graphics, animation and sound processing, and there is certainly an emotional attachment to that software, as it was also used to create the mentioned video games :)
-- kolla

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ex68k » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:28 pm

jotego wrote:I think both the MMU and the FPU make for interesting digital design projects. I am not so sure how much value they add to the community as anyone using old software requiring an FPU will be better off using modern software. I do not think that scientific software has the emotional attachment that videogames have.

An FPU is interesting, but can be emulated easily. And also gets faster, when the CPU speed increases.

But an MMU you have to have to run some software, there is no emulation for it.

ex68k
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ex68k » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:29 pm

An FPU is interesting, but can be emulated easily. And also gets faster, when the CPU speed increases.

But an MMU you have to have to run some software, there is no emulation for it.

Return to “MiST”