Compatible USB gamepad or joystick for MiST

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Compatible USB gamepad or joystick for MiST

Postby Newsdee » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Paradroyd, what you describe is already available, check the wiki for instructions :mrgreen:

(i.e. In the mist.ini you can map any combination of buttons/directions to a keyboard USB scancode. I've used it for flippers for example)

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:35 pm

Newsdee wrote:Paradroyd, what you describe is already available, check the wiki for instructions :mrgreen:

(i.e. In the mist.ini you can map any combination of buttons/directions to a keyboard USB scancode. I've used it for flippers for example)

I'll take a look at it. Thanks!
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:51 am

Hi ! This is a little off-topic, but what actually prevents from using the 4 buttons of a db9 (regular Megadrive for instance) joystick ? Of course, USB gamepads are more relevant these days, but this would enable to build controllers with no electronic part for instance (arcade cabinets...) and use them in all cores. And use those old Megadrive/Genesis gamepads directly in the MiST with enough buttons for the NES/PCE. Well, that's not really important, just asking. As ATM I use a db9 cable to directly wire my arcade buttons but this only supports two buttons, then. It's simpler and less bound to have defects than making a hack with some cheap USB gamepads.

Just asking, that's not really important :)

(also, I wonder if CD32 gamepads could potentially work ? even if again, that's not really the purpose of the MiST as all those old controllers will eventually die)
Amiga user since 1993 ;-)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:09 am

The problem is doing it while keeping it compatible with Megadrive/Genesis controllers. The console uses two extra pins of the DB9 for special functions, in particular a "select" switch used to add more buttons via multiplexing (which means extra electronics on the controller).

If we'd like more buttons on the DB9 in the MiST then I think the way forward would be to support the Genesis multiplexer. It means custom controllers like yours are going to need adding the multiplexer chip (quick google says it's 74HC157), but it would give you 7 buttons in total and it would work with a real Genesis :) I don't know how difficult doing this is on the MiST, but I imagine it might be done if and when somebody adds a Genesis core.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:44 am

The easiest way to support unuasual db9 devices is probably via some usb adapter and the mists usb ports.

I think I pnce promised Torlus to add support for genesis pads if he ports his genesis core to the mist. This offer is still valid and not limited to torlus.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:19 am

Edit : double posting, sorry
Last edited by mahen on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:20 am

Hi ! Out of curiosity, is it possible to map mouse axis to the analog sticks of gamepads in order to use a gamepad as both a joystick and a mouse ?
(for instance with some 8bitdo gamepads)

cheers ! :-)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:27 pm

If you have buttons assigned to the MiST "select", "L", and "R" you can keep select pressed then arrows + L/R to control the mouse. Should be enough to launch games.with the Amiga core, for example.

alienkidmj12
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alienkidmj12 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Can we have pictures of people's controllers ;)

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:32 am

CD32 controller has many buttons and it's more or less standard for Amiga. It has simple logic inside.
But from other side i agree to concentrate on USB joysticks/pads. Mist just need extended support for more buttons. My be extra 8 bits for cores would be enough. So totally 16 buttons can be supported. Thus cores requiring more buttons like Amiga with CD32 gamepad will able to work with USB gamepads as CD32 gamepads. Same for other cores. Leave DB9 just for some marginals having those ancient joysticks ;)

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:35 am

Another thing would be very useful - keyboard and joystick maps per core. Mist.INI can have separate sections with core names where user can define mapping both default (for unlisted cores) and for specific cores.

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm

how can I activate the 8bitdo on the latest firmware?
false alert... that sh*t joypad stuck on BT mode and could not connected as USB

greblus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby greblus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi guys.

I've been trying to use Logitech F710 wireless pad with Mist without luck so far (well, I've been able to use it with Tom2 adapter connected to DB9 port, but it has it's own issues, so I'd like to try it on USB port of Mist). Is there a way to have it supported by the Mist firmware?

Return to “MiST”