Re: Acorn Archimedes

Postby vebxenon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks for the answers :D

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 pm

Well I'm unable to run this core :( , I only get a red screen and nothing happens...

hubersn
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hubersn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:02 am

Red screen means that the self-test failed. Sometimes you have to reset the MIST multiple times to get the core running. Which RISC OS version have you tried?

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Hello, I've tried last core and the RiscOS 3.1 rom http://oliverb.drobe.co.uk/downloads.html. Sometimes I get red screen, but another times I just get a blank one. :shrug:

Regards,

Salva

hubersn
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hubersn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:17 am

The ROM you referenced is OK, I just tried it with Arculator. I will test on the MIST when I get home. Which version of the MIST firmware are you using?

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:30 am

hubersn wrote:The ROM you referenced is OK, I just tried it with Arculator. I will test on the MIST when I get home. Which version of the MIST firmware are you using?

I'm using last one: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... r/firmware

hubersn
Atariator
Atariator

Postby hubersn » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:34 pm

vebxenon wrote:
hubersn wrote:The ROM you referenced is OK, I just tried it with Arculator. I will test on the MIST when I get home. Which version of the MIST firmware are you using?

I made a fresh SD card with the ROM you referenced and updated the MIST to the latest firmware. Works fine for me.

I can only think of two things that might go wrong: maybe your SD card is incompatible, or your MIST is one of the few that don't work with the Archimedes core.

hubersn

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:30 pm

O
hubersn wrote:
vebxenon wrote:

I made a fresh SD card with the ROM you referenced and updated the MIST to the latest firmware. Works fine for me.

I can only think of two things that might go wrong: maybe your SD card is incompatible, or your MIST is one of the few that don't work with the Archimedes core.

hubersn

Oh :cry: ... can you upload please your configuration for doing some tests? Thanks! :cheers:

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:29 pm

vebxenon wrote:O
hubersn wrote:

hubersn

Oh :cry: ... can you upload please your configuration for doing some tests? Thanks! :cheers:

Hi!

Did your problem solved?

I tried to run the Archimedes core on my brand new MIST, but it didn't work. I used the latest firmware and the newest core with the above linked Risc OS Rom (actually version 3.11). Tried as only / default core on the SD card, even pressing reset (leftmost button on the front panel) after unsuccesful booting... Tried 10 different SD cards, but no result so far. Every other core runs fine, except the MSX, but that doesn't bother me, because on my TC64 it works flawless.

I tried even earlier cores, but it didn't help. Will try different ROMs (3.0, 3.10 and 3.19) later, and feedback if that helped or not.

What does it depend on that my MIST is 'Archie compatible' or not?

Gábor

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Tried ROM 3.19, still no luck.

I read backwards the Amstrad CPC topic, and as I see there were similar SD (and MIST) compatibility problems, which were successfully solved (it works at me too). It would be useful to apply the same changes in the Archimedes core, altought it may be more complicated as I think, these machines had total different architecture...

Thanks in advance: Gábor

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm

My problem wasn't solved :( , and I'm unable to run Archimedes core...

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:12 am

Still no luck...

Does the MSX core run on your MiST?

If yes, perhaps it worths to try to run the Archimedes core on the same SD card...

As I see, Tempus01 had issues too...

vebxenon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vebxenon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:00 am

Yes, my MSX core runs like a charm :)

Asmith
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Asmith » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:19 pm

The Archimede core is working on all my SD card , impossible to run the MSX on now 5 differents types of SD cards ,all formated with Fat 16 :(

A_s

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Asmith wrote:The Archimede core is working on all my SD card , impossible to run the MSX on now 5 differents types of SD cards ,all formated with Fat 16 :(

Did you try to format them using "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3"....

Some people could get some card to work when they do format them with this tool :)
see for the CPC-Core: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27657&p=273022&hilit=hp+usb+storage#p272449

Asmith
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Asmith » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:12 pm

guidol wrote:
Asmith wrote:The Archimede core is working on all my SD card , impossible to run the MSX on now 5 differents types of SD cards ,all formated with Fat 16 :(

Did you try to format them using "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3"....

Some people could get some card to work when they do format them with this tool :)
see for the CPC-Core: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27657&p=273022&hilit=hp+usb+storage#p272449

Unfortunatly this tool is not doing FAT16 formating (seems mandatory for the MSX core)

A_s

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Asmith wrote:Unfortunatly this tool is not doing FAT16 formating (seems mandatory for the MSX core)

In the past it did...on my new WIn10 is doesnt...seems to be a Windows Problem....you could try the HP Formatter under XP/Win7
or this under Win10
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-pa ... nager.html

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:45 am

Or simply run command prompt (CMD.EXE), then type:

FORMAT X: /FS:FAT

(X=drive letter of your SD-card)
Using Win7 it works like a charm, didn't try Win10, but it should work...

fury23
Atari User
Atari User

Postby fury23 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:43 pm

I sometimes create smaller partition on SD card and format it as FAT. This is my procedure for Windows with example output:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 40 GB 0 B
Disk 1 Online 7538 MB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list part

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 500 MB 1024 KB

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create part primary size=500

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> active

DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

DISKPART> format fs=fat quick

100 percent completed

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> assign

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Asmith
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Asmith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Not to derail this thread :) , i already do the diskpart way.

A_s

Higgy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Higgy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Hello, MiST noob here 8O

I was attracted to the MiST for the Sam Coupe & Archimedes cores. I have Sam working and I am am working my way through the other cores, but I am having problems with the Archimedes core.

Is the original core author on this forum? Is there just one MiST Archie core? I contacted who I believe is the original author via the English Amiga Board forum, and he asked me to post Bug reports (on GitHub?).

I am running Firmware 170114, and have got other cores running. Although I have not yet tried the MSX one, which I read also can have issues.

The strange things is the first two Cores work, but I can't get r1028 to run - black screen. (I have tried the linked 3.11 ROM and created a 3.10 from 4 individual ROM files).

archimedes_150224_r814.rbf
archimedes_150407_r991.rbf
archimedes_150416_r1028.rbf

r1028 also references 'Firmware' changes (firmware_150416_r1028.). I have not flashed that as I am on 170114 and assumed that this includes the changes made in firmware_150416_r1028? Maybe those changes got removed in subsequent MiST firmware updates? Is there any point in flashing first firmware_150416_r1028 and then 170114?

This is 8 months old, but the MiST binaries are 2 years old? :

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/tree/master/cores/archie

Thanks (I wish I had more software knowledge!)

Higgy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Higgy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Reading the MSX thread I would guess that this is also a RAM timing issue on newer MiST boards:

'AMR fixed the timing of SDRAM controller for newer RAM chips used on 2016er MISTs'

Who fixed the MSX core (AMR?), and is it possible they could apply their magic fix on the Archimedes core please?
Is this something that gets changed when compiling the Source code for the MiST or does it have to be done to the Source?

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:07 am

Hi everyone!

Finally succeeded to run the Archie core on my MIST!

I used the last core modded by Gehstock, downloadable here:

https://github.com/Gehstock/Mist_Cores/ ... des%203000

The riscos.rom is the recommended/default one (ver.3.1), linked earlier in this topic.

I used a FAT32 formatted, 2GB capacity Transcend SD card, as previously. The only difference between the former unsuccesful and the final efficient attempt was that I didn't set it up as default core (core.rbf), but instead I booted up the mist with the Atari 2600 core, and after that loaded the above linked archimedes.rbf from the menu.

First I got a messy red screen with 720x288@75Hz:

After that a homogeneous grey surface with a blue mouse pointer (640x480@60Hz), but at least I could utilize the menu using PrintScreen.

Since the core doesn't have a reset option, reloaded it, the result was an error message:

I had to reload it again, and for the third time the the system booted flawlessly!

I tried to run Dune II (It's the only Arcie game I'm familiar with), it started, but got stuck when I was trying to use the 'options'. The picture was distorted at 720x400@70Hz (don't know if it's so on the original hardware as well).

Finally tried to hold down NumPad 2 during reboot out of curiosity, but the system crashed (1600x900@65Hz).

I suggest to others who also had problems with this core (Higgy, Vebxenon, Tempus01):
Try it again as non-default, perhaps this will be the solution!

Thanks to Gehstock for 'welding' this core, to MasterOfGizmo for porting it and of course to the original author, Stephen Leary too!

Return to “MiST”