Acorn Archimedes

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

desUBIKado
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Acorn Archimedes

Postby desUBIKado » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:39 pm

If a real Archimedes 3000 can be upgraded with an ARM3 processor, could this core be updated using this ARM3 processor core from opencores.org?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 pm

desUBIKado wrote:If a real Archimedes 3000 can be upgraded with an ARM3 processor, could this core be updated using this ARM3 processor core from opencores.org?

As its an university project, I assume only the author used it, and it's probably full of bugs. AFAIK the original author of this core also spent lot of time to fix the Amber CPU.

Televicious
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Televicious » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:18 am

slingshot wrote:
Televicious wrote: Wish there was a way to get the proper aspect in games on VGA monitor though. Have to invest in a scaler I suppose.

Maybe the changelog with the scandoubler should give you a hint how to do it...

Don't see anything about a scandoubler in the changelog or wiki for this core. It's enabled in the mist.ini in general for sure. Desktop is normal, games are scrunched. Is it a core specific entry? Like [archimedes] scandoubler=1 ? Checking out this hdd thing, maybe wolfenstein will launch after installing.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:27 pm

some demos, like Risc Dream, and the Spectrum Emulator works only at 15kHz, so added an optional scandoubler to be able to enjoy them on VGA, too.

Yes, it's enabled with the usual scandoubler settings.

danielb
Atari User
Atari User

Postby danielb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:22 am

hubersn wrote:

Now that there is IDE, there is a slight chance that ADFFS will run ...
hubersn

Hi,

First of all, thanks to everyone involved for the progress in the Archie core (and all the others, for that matter).

I decided to see if I can get ADFFS to work on the latest Mist core. I have the Mist core running with the 500MB hard disk which was attached to this thread. As a bonus, I got Hamsters to work on this disk under Mist.

I prepared an HD file in Arculator 2.0 with ADFFS and a couple of the games from the JASPP site (Ibix the Viking and Lemmings), which both worked fine. I then intended to mount the Arculator hard disk in Mist and see if it worked.

However I was stopped dead when I found that the disks were mutually incompatible; I can't mount the Arculator disk in Mist, or the Mist disk in Arculator. I am not a great expert on Riscos, it's just something I've always wanted to play with, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Can anyone help?

Tks,

D.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 am

danielb wrote:
However I was stopped dead when I found that the disks were mutually incompatible; I can't mount the Arculator disk in Mist, or the Mist disk in Arculator. I am not a great expert on Riscos, it's just something I've always wanted to play with, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

You have to choose "old FDC" to have the Riscdev IDE interface in Arculator. Otherwise you'll get the 82c711.

danielb
Atari User
Atari User

Postby danielb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:58 pm

slingshot wrote:
danielb wrote:

You have to choose "old FDC" to have the Riscdev IDE interface in Arculator. Otherwise you'll get the 82c711.

Thanks, I'll try it out this evening.

D.

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:30 pm

danielb wrote:However I was stopped dead when I found that the disks were mutually incompatible; I can't mount the Arculator disk in Mist, or the Mist disk in Arculator. I am not a great expert on Riscos, it's just something I've always wanted to play with, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

You might have run into a problem of incompatible .hdf formats in specific cases - ADFS vs. Risc Developments IDE/MIST implementation. There are at least two problematic things, the LBA flag thing and the 512 byte offset thing. If you can provide the .hdf somewhere, I can have a closer look.

There is also currently a problem in Arculator v2.0 mounting certain .hdf images - see Stardot thread, i didn't have the time to follow up properly atm, will do so shortly.

Have fun
hubersn

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm

hubersn wrote:You might have run into a problem of incompatible .hdf formats in specific cases - ADFS vs. Risc Developments IDE/MIST implementation.
hubersn

There's no "MIST" implementation. The Risc Developments ROM used without any change (I don't even know a single instruction/function in it).

danielb
Atari User
Atari User

Postby danielb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi all,

The "MiST" hard disk mysteriously mounted perfectly in Arculator 2. I have no idea why. Yesterday it totally refused to cooperate.

Anyway, I was able to copy my ADFFS files over to it and test it on MiST.

The result is that it almost works. I was able to briefly play both Lemmings and Ibix the Viking. However both of them only appeared in the top half of my screen (i.e. the whole game display was squashed into the top of the screen), and Lemmings had some flashing effects in the bottom half of its display. When returning to the desktop, the display returned to normal. These two issues aside, it seemed to work as expected, behaving exactly as in Arculator 2.

D.

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm

slingshot wrote:
hubersn wrote:You might have run into a problem of incompatible .hdf formats in specific cases - ADFS vs. Risc Developments IDE/MIST implementation.
hubersn

There's no "MIST" implementation. The Risc Developments ROM used without any change (I don't even know a single instruction/function in it).

Yes, that was a very confusing statement by me.

What I really meant: the MIST implementation of providing the .hdf to the core (and therefore to the Risc Developments ROM) does no "magic", so it is identical to the Risc Developments IDE emulation in Arculator (old-style FDC). But it is not identical to ADFS IDE emulation in Arculator (and unfortunately also RPCEmu), which had/have a long-standing issue of adding/needing a 512 byte offset at the image's start.

In an ideal world, the MIST implementation would look at the .hdf to identify the bootblock and remove the 512 byte offset or not. An ugly workaround, but it would minimise user confusion.

Hope that clears it up.
hubersn

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 pm

danielb wrote:The result is that it almost works. I was able to briefly play both Lemmings and Ibix the Viking. However both of them only appeared in the top half of my screen (i.e. the whole game display was squashed into the top of the screen), and Lemmings had some flashing effects in the bottom half of its display. When returning to the desktop, the display returned to normal. These two issues aside, it seemed to work as expected, behaving exactly as in Arculator 2.

Sounds like a screen mode issue. I think there is currently an ongoing discussion in the JASPP forum when running ADFFS on classic hardware concerning the SVGA/Multiscan/TV screen config.

I'll have a look.
hubersn

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:35 pm

hubersn wrote:What I really meant: the MIST implementation of providing the .hdf to the core (and therefore to the Risc Developments ROM) does no "magic", so it is identical to the Risc Developments IDE emulation in Arculator (old-style FDC). But it is not identical to ADFS IDE emulation in Arculator (and unfortunately also RPCEmu), which had/have a long-standing issue of adding/needing a 512 byte offset at the image's start.

In an ideal world, the MIST implementation would look at the .hdf to identify the bootblock and remove the 512 byte offset or not. An ugly workaround, but it would minimise user confusion.

Ah, ok. I didn't know about that block. Seems an easy conversion during hdf copy (at least on Linux, a bs=512 and skip=1 parameter to dd would do it).

Return to “MiST”