Acorn Archimedes

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Acorn Archimedes

Postby hubersn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:26 pm

hubersn wrote:And it needs the Toolbox modules also. So a true full UniBoot is needed. I'll do a proper HD image with all bells and whistles.

And, as it turns out, it wants a later version of the Toolbox modules than those bundled with UniBoot.

Well, if it was easy, anybody could do it :-)

Have fun
hubersn

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:32 pm

hubersn wrote:
hubersn wrote:And it needs the Toolbox modules also. So a true full UniBoot is needed. I'll do a proper HD image with all bells and whistles.

And, as it turns out, it wants a later version of the Toolbox modules than those bundled with UniBoot.

Have fun
hubersn

I hope you can sort this out. The whole purpose of the IDE interface is to run SF3000 :)

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:45 pm

slingshot wrote:I hope you can sort this out. The whole purpose of the IDE interface is to run SF3000 :)

OK, so when I tell you that the core needs feature xyz to run SF3000 you would be extra motivated to implement it. How about networking support (Econet and Ethernet of course!), FPA10, the different joystick interfaces (TSP, RTFM), a faster CPU, up to 16 MB RAM (quad MEMC config), support for APD and JFD disc images... :-)

Still fighting the toolbox. The current ROOL !System content does not work properly on RISC OS 3.1 - the needed Window toolbox module just says "Unknown library chunk" which I haven't seen at all in the last 30 years of me using RISC OS - probably something related to the 32bit SharedCLibrary which should really be avoided on RISC OS 3.1x systems. So back to the ROL offerings...

Stay tuned
hubersn

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:53 pm

hubersn wrote:
OK, so when I tell you that the core needs feature xyz to run SF3000 you would be extra motivated to implement it. How about networking support (Econet and Ethernet of course!), FPA10, the different joystick interfaces (TSP, RTFM), a faster CPU, up to 16 MB RAM (quad MEMC config), support for APD and JFD disc images... :-)

I don't want to control a nuclear power plant, only a Starfighter :D

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:41 pm

slingshot wrote:
hubersn wrote:

Have fun
hubersn

I hope you can sort this out. The whole purpose of the IDE interface is to run SF3000 :)

So I have an image for you to try:
https://www.huber-net.de/riscos/archie1.zip

It is a 499 MiB image (to be more space efficient than a 512 MiB one, because the LFAU stays at 1024 bytes) created and tested with Arculator, which is I think the reason why it is not yet 499 MiB big, because Arculator only creates the sectors it writes to. Not sure if that will work out on MIST...

It contains UniBoot with current Toolbox modules and runs Star Fighter OK, which you find in the Games subdir. As a bonus, it contains all usual dearchivers, misc tools as well as all the original Acorn software coming with RISC OS 3.1x machines. As an additional bonus, two more freely released ex-commercial games are there: Burn'Out and of course Elite.

Now that there is IDE, there is a slight chance that ADFFS will run (it replaces the floppy part of ADFS, so cannot be run from floppy itself) - I'll try real soon now...

Hope it works for you, and have fun
hubersn

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DanyPPC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks, I'will test tomorrow

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Hi!

I found a nice RTS game called TEK 1608:
http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/index.ph ... /Tek/index

Perhaps it worths to test this title with the new core, although it's still commercial AFAIK...

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:17 pm

hubersn wrote:

The archive contains a 260MB file, and the IDEFS driver doesn't recognize the filesystem on it (did you create it on Riscdev's IDEFS or ADFS?)

Higgy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Higgy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Loads of great Core work on MiST recently - well done!

I went looking for HDF images and came across this one someone imaged from their computer. I think the file will need renaming but here it is:

https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14577#

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 pm

slingshot wrote:
hubersn wrote:

The archive contains a 260MB file, and the IDEFS driver doesn't recognize the filesystem on it (did you create it on Riscdev's IDEFS or ADFS?)

Plain ADFS on Arculator.

You're telling me that Risc Development's IDEFS cannot read that image??? I am not aware of any FS that failed to read discs from ADFS IDE. ADFS fails to read many discs formatted on 3rd party IDE podules (and not only because of multiple partitions), but the other way round?

Well, I can take your .hdf and just put my content on it, this should work.

hubersn

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:24 pm

hubersn wrote:
You're telling me that Risc Development's IDEFS cannot read that image??? I am not aware of any FS that failed to read discs from ADFS IDE. ADFS fails to read many discs formatted on 3rd party IDE podules (and not only because of multiple partitions), but the other way round?

Well, I can take your .hdf and just put my content on it, this should work.

hubersn

I don't know how filesystems are working on RiscOS, but it says "Disc not understood...error when reading IDEFS::4.$". And if IDEFS here is the filesystem's name, then the message is legit.

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:27 pm

DrOG wrote:Hi!

Perhaps it worths to test this title with the new core, although it's still commercial AFAIK...

I fear it won't be worth it, since TEK is from the Risc PC generation of games targetted at the StrongARM Risc PC. Which has a 200 MHz CPU. I don't think you will have much fun running TEK on an 8 MHz CPU instead.

Exodus, on the other hand...not exactly the same genre, but one of the best original RISC OS games.

hubersn

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:59 pm

slingshot wrote:
hubersn wrote:

OK, next try:
https://www.huber-net.de/riscos/idehd_archie1.zip

Renamed the disc to "HardDisc4" because I am a RISC OS traditionalist :-) (and to pragmatically avoid any hardcoded-path-problems in !Boot setup)

Have fun
hubersn

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:22 am

hubersn wrote:
DrOG wrote:Hi!

I fear it won't be worth it, since TEK is from the Risc PC generation of games targetted at the StrongARM Risc PC. Which has a 200 MHz CPU. I don't think you will have much fun running TEK on an 8 MHz CPU instead.
Exodus, on the other hand...not exactly the same genre, but one of the best original RISC OS games.
hubersn

Thanks for the clarification and recommendation! :cheers:

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:13 am

hubersn wrote:Renamed the disc to "HardDisc4" because I am a RISC OS traditionalist :-) (and to pragmatically avoid any hardcoded-path-problems in !Boot setup)

Anything has to be done to load the new Wimp? SF3000 still complains about the need of 3.80.

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:35 pm

slingshot wrote:
hubersn wrote:Renamed the disc to "HardDisc4" because I am a RISC OS traditionalist :-) (and to pragmatically avoid any hardcoded-path-problems in !Boot setup)

Anything has to be done to load the new Wimp? SF3000 still complains about the need of 3.80.

I haven't had a chance to try on my real MIST, so a stab in the dark...

Has it booted? CMOS settings must be "Boot" and Filesystem=IDEFS. And check that the image is correctly flagged as "Run" (switch to CLI (F12), switch to FS and drive (*IDEFS, *drive 4), show extended catalogue (*ex), look if it is flagged is "Option 2 (Run)").

If it hasn't booted, it gets more complicated, since the new WindowManager must be loaded in PreDesk, i.e. before the desktop gets active, or things will go haywire. You'd need to exit completely from desktop (Switcher Icon, Popup menu, Exit), then execute !Boot.!Run. Or configure "language" to the correct value for CLI which I don't remember off-hand. "Desktop" is "language 10". Don't ask.

I'll have a look when I get home.

hubersn

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:46 pm

hubersn wrote:I haven't had a chance to try on my real MIST, so a stab in the dark...

hubersn

It's not MiST specific, it's the same in Arculator (selected "old" FDD, then the IDE interface is the RISC Development one). Even tried to *Configure filesystem IDEFS, no change. Will try the other CMOS settings you mentioned.

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:53 pm

slingshot wrote:
hubersn wrote:I haven't had a chance to try on my real MIST, so a stab in the dark...

hubersn

It's not MiST specific, it's the same in Arculator (selected "old" FDD, then the IDE interface is the RISC Development one). Even tried to *Configure filesystem IDEFS, no change. Will try the other CMOS settings you mentioned.

Works for me on Arculator. Compared to default CMOS, it just needs
  • *con. filesystem idefs
  • *con. idefsdiscs 1
  • *con. idefsdrive 4
  • *con. boot

HTH
hubersn

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 pm

hubersn wrote:Or configure "language" to the correct value for CLI which I don't remember off-hand. "Desktop" is "language 10". Don't ask.

How could I forget...it is
  • *con. language 1
of course to start up in CLI (aka "Supervisor mode") on next reset.

And, even more important,
  • *con. language 19
to go directly into BBC BASIC V. For the full Retro experience.

The number after "language" is the number of the ROM module to end up in. A list of modules in RISC OS ROM can be listed with
  • *rommodules

If it scrolls by too fast, hold down Shift+Ctrl to stop output, or hold down Ctrl to slow it down.

Have fun
hubersn

desUBIKado
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby desUBIKado » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Higgy wrote:Loads of great Core work on MiST recently - well done!

I went looking for HDF images and came across this one someone imaged from their computer. I think the file will need renaming but here it is:

https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14577#

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=27637&start=250#p385735

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:10 pm

hubersn wrote:
slingshot wrote:
hubersn wrote:

OK, next try:
https://www.huber-net.de/riscos/idehd_archie1.zip

Renamed the disc to "HardDisc4" because I am a RISC OS traditionalist :-) (and to pragmatically avoid any hardcoded-path-problems in !Boot setup)

OK, that one works for me (if the correct CMOS settings are used to automatically boot - if not, you need to "Exit" from the desktop, switch to IDEFS and drive 4, and then exec the !Boot's !Run file.

Or in more detail:
  • Click middle mouse button on the "Acorn" icon at the bottom right
  • Click left mouse button on entry "Exit"
  • Type "idefs"
  • Type "drive 4"
  • Type "!Boot.!Run"

This executes the boot process from the HD image, loading the WindowManager 3.98 needed by Star Fighter 3000 and providing all necessary paths to !Scrap, !System and the Choices dirs. You should end up in the desktop. Now open IDEFS:4, double-click "Games", double-click "SF3000" and start it up...

However, you'll find out that the CPU emulation is too slow for a good gaming experience, even if limiting details to "Very Low" and graphics output to 256 lines and 4 channel sound only. Switching to true 15 kHz screen mode might help a bit since the SVGA monitortype letterboxing eats memory bandwidth via Video DMA.

But I am sure Slingshot is now motivated to speed it up :-) In the meantime, just enjoy a game of Elite.

Have fun
hubersn

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:03 pm

hubersn wrote:[

However, you'll find out that the CPU emulation is too slow for a good gaming experience, even if limiting details to "Very Low" and graphics output to 256 lines and 4 channel sound only. Switching to true 15 kHz screen mode might help a bit since the SVGA monitortype letterboxing eats memory bandwidth via Video DMA.

But I am sure Slingshot is now motivated to speed it up :-) In the meantime, just enjoy a game of Elite.

Yepp, works with *Configure boot.

Not a frame-rate king :) However with 256 lines it's playable actually.
Attached a CMOS file which works well with your HD image (I really have to add some method to write out the CMOS to the SD-Card).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hendricus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Hendricus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 pm

I wanted to test the new core with the November firmware update, but I get a green screen now. And having a closer look it appears the white colour is missing. Does anyone else have this?

IMG_2265.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hendricus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Hendricus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks all who are improving the core for the Archimedes. This week I gave the newest core a try to see if I can get the hard disk setup on my MiST. But surprisingly the white colour is gone after the firmware update. Both the newest core as the previous one give me a green screen. Does anyone else have this?

IMG_2265.JPG

hubersn
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hubersn » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:52 pm

Arculator v2.0 has been released, for those who (like me) switch between PC-based emulation and MIST:
https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 30&t=18223

Now with true disc drive noise! OK, that's perhaps the least impressive thing from the "Changes" list...

Have fun
hubersn

Return to “MiST”