https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

pstriolo
Atari freak
Atari freak

config .cfg file

Postby pstriolo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:17 am

Hello

I have a question concerning config .cfg files.

Each time i try to create one saving my config, it works as it is really present on the sd card. But what is strange is that this file .cfg can not be copied after if i want to make a backup of the files present on the sd card. every time it says that the file is corrupted and can not be copied.

But it works like a charm on the initial sd card.

Is the format different than a normal file ? is there any kind of protection for it ?

Regards.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: config .cfg file

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Config files are supposed to be nnormal files. I have successfully made backups of them.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

jerome777
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jerome777 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:34 pm

pstriolo, what firmware version have you got ?

I ask you that because I remember a firmware problem for writing files (especially CFG files) on SDHC cards, but it's very old.

If that's not an old firmware version, you perhaps should try copying your files elsewhere and format the card, or try another card.

pstriolo
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby pstriolo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:34 am

Hello,

I use the last firmware (rev 570) and the last core for amiga (rev 570 for AGA and rev 239 ). I found that the rev 246 is still unstable on my mist.

What is strange is that the config file which is not copiable and said to be corrupted works without problem on the mist. I test several sd card, fresh formatted, and the problem still remains.

Laurent from amedia computer send me recently one sd card also with a system installed and i have the same problem : the cfg file is not copiable, but all the others files can be copied...

How strange is it...

Regards.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:53 am

Can you try placing a config file from the PC, instead of letting the core create it? You can still save to it, but I suspect the creation might be the problem.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:54 am

jerome777 wrote:I ask you that because I remember a firmware problem for writing files (especially CFG files) on SDHC cards, but it's very old.

I have recently worked on writing to SD card for other reasons. In that process i have written a small test suite (you can actually find these tests in the repository). I didn't encounter anything like that.

Who sais the file is corrupted? Perhaps you habe some application installed on your PC that tries to open the cfg file and doesn't cope with it because it's not the file it expects? Have you tried a different PC?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

pstriolo
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby pstriolo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:35 am

I just try to make a backup using CTRLC and CTRLV.

My computer use a standard windows 7 system and i have no special software on it.

I wil try to make test this afternoon.

Regards.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:47 am

Hmm, i just tried exactly that and it just worked.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:53 am

What if you start with a fresh sd card. Copy all the required files (core, *.adf, ...) onto it. Make sure the filesystem is good (right click on it under windows, select properties and under tools check it for errors). Then use it in the MIST, store the config. Reinsert it into the PC and check it again. It should still be good.

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:17 pm

I have the same issue, since ages I have to say. What I am getting (terminal) is : mist.cfg: ERROR: cannot read `mist.cfg' (Argument list too long) . The file is 56 bytes long

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 am

I've seen intermittent weird issues with these files too. I've even used Syncback pro to try to copy them (which can usually even copy open/locked files) and it chokes on some of them too. Just a few of the config files on some of the cores.

(Sorry I don't have more specifics off the top of my head).
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:03 pm

xc8 wrote:I have the same issue, since ages I have to say. What I am getting (terminal) is : mist.cfg: ERROR: cannot read `mist.cfg' (Argument list too long) . The file is 56 bytes long

Where do you see that error message? What terminal are you talking about?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Paradroyd wrote:I've seen intermittent weird issues with these files too. I've even used Syncback pro to try to copy them (which can usually even copy open/locked files) and it chokes on some of them too. Just a few of the config files on some of the cores.

(Sorry I don't have more specifics off the top of my head).

If you ever find a reliable way to cause these problems, then please let me know. I am currently unable to reproduce this.

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:12 pm

If you ever find a reliable way to cause these problems, then please let me know. I am currently unable to reproduce this.

Just for the record, I wasn't presenting this as something that I really have much of a problem with. I probably wouldn't even know it was an issue if I didn't regularly back my core SDs up to a NAS with Syncback. I just noticed that a few of the SD cards with cores (definitely the C64 and Sega Master System cores), and in some cases thousands of images on them had a single failure in the backup log, and it was always the core config file..nothing else.

The actual error in the Syncback logs is, "Failed to copy from Source : Cannot copy file (1392): The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" The error is the same on both cores. Doing a filesystem check reveals no errors. The only time I see a problem is when I try to copy them.

I really didn't think much about it until I saw someone else here mention it. I'm just letting you know so that you're aware that there's probably something a little more going on with it than one person's specific SD card having a format problem.

That said, as cryptic as the error messages are and as random as it appears to be, it would be really hard to track down. I'm sure it's not worth the trouble. If I stumble across something that gives a meaningful clue to what's going on , I'll let you know.

My short term solution to cleaning the log files up was to just make an exclusion for backing up the config files. If I actually have to restore from backup, I can just let it rebuild the configs. The config files seem to work. They're just not copyable..so I won't try to copy them.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:
xc8 wrote:I have the same issue, since ages I have to say. What I am getting (terminal) is : mist.cfg: ERROR: cannot read `mist.cfg' (Argument list too long) . The file is 56 bytes long

Where do you see that error message? What terminal are you talking about?

oh, sorry mate, I m running shell on MacOSX.

Also, I have some updates:

a) I found an old 512MB SD, the config file wrote correctly there! I even copied it and paste into the rest of my SD(HC) cards, the mist
(st core) then can read/write that config on the SDHC without any corruption. The issue, then is when there is NO config file (on SDHC) then the Mist (ST core) makes a corrupted one.

b) Repairing the SDHC (while I have the corrupted cfg) via the fsck_msdos (MacOSX shell) reveals that : the mist.cfg has no clusters.

so to sum up, for me it seems its an issue writing SDHC cards (in the case there is NO cfg file). A quick hack is to include a "dummy/generic" mist.cfg and copy into any new setup.

I am including mine (rename the .cfg.txt to .cfg)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danialbi
Atariator
Atariator

Postby danialbi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am

I am new to Mist,
sorry for reviving this post but I cannot save config
I have latest ST core and mist firmware
I understand Mist cannot create this file so I used the one posted before
I use a 2G SD card FAT
When I save config using F12 then nothing is saved on the file and...when I reboot I get "cannot find TOS.IMG"...weird
Any suggestions?
Thx

danialbi
Atariator
Atariator

Postby danialbi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Something was wrong with my SD card. Use new SDHC now can save config
Solved

chaos
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby chaos » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:03 am

Hi,

I noticed the same issue in minimig - sometimes the cfg file is not written correctly, but it still works on minimig, but PC reports some problems with the file. I never figured out what the reason might be. But since .ini files don't seem to have the same problem, maybe moving from cfg to ini format might fix this.
** my minimig builds: http://somuch.guru/ **

Return to “MiST”