HD Driver on the MiST?

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: HD Driver on the MiST?

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 pm

The latest Atari St core (and its firmware) now support the "ICD" extension on the ACSI bus. This means that the 1GB limit for harddisks is gone. But this needs an ICD compatible harddisk driver which AHDI isn't. AHDI still works but for AHDI the old 1GB limit still applies. This has not been tested with the original ICD drivers yet but works fine with hddriver 9.04. This is especially interesting when using the "direct sd" approach to access a SD(HC) card directly. I e.g. just created 16 Partitions of 512MB size each on a 8GB card with TOS being able to access the entire card that way.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Are you using 2 SD cards for this, ie one for booting the mist , then you swap with one that has the HDD ?
As in my case (4GB SDHC, 2 partitions, the second is just <512MB) the HDDriver is corrupting the main SD while trying to setup the partition.

eddys
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby eddys » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:50 pm

xc8 wrote:Are you using 2 SD cards for this, ie one for booting the mist , then you swap with one that has the HDD ?
As in my case (4GB SDHC, 2 partitions, the second is just <512MB) the HDDriver is corrupting the main SD while trying to setup the partition.

you better stay on single partition and hdd as file image, bullocks, the icd/hdrvr just destroy the sd so you can't read it on the windows, I thought that the new core handles the sd like the Hatari as "gem drive" bullshit no way Jose

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Thank you, I think you are right, after all the HDDriver that I tried is just a demo (full version is around the half price of the mist!) , supports just one 512MB partition, useless for me as I would like to have too some .ST images there.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 pm

eddys wrote:I thought that the new core handles the sd like the Hatari as "gem drive" bullshit no way Jose

That's close to impossible. This Hatari "gem drive" does a lot of magic things in the backgound which are possible since there's a whole PC lurking in the background which can move data around invisible to the embedded ST.

The MiST on the other side is very close to real Atari hardware. The MIST can bascically do the same with an SD card what e.g. a ultrasatan adaptor also can do. But not more ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

xc8 wrote:Are you using 2 SD cards for this, ie one for booting the mist , then you swap with one that has the HDD ?

During setup the contents of the partition are lost. But the PC can afterwards access the newly created partition. This is everyting but simple. But also it's not a MIST specific thing. Any user of an ultrasatan will face the very same issues.

More details here:
https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/wi ... k_image%29

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:35 pm

Small suggestion, would it be possible to format an SD card of standard size (say 4GB) then image it? (deleting copyrighted files of course)
That way it can be easily re-imaged into any new card with something like this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

I've got the idea from RaspberryPi Linux distros...

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Newsdee wrote:Small suggestion, would it be possible to format an SD card of standard size (say 4GB) then image it? (deleting copyrighted files of course)
That way it can be easily re-imaged into any new card with something like this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

I've got the idea from RaspberryPi Linux distros...

If you delete the copyrighted driver the hdd wont boot...

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:27 pm

but you can copy them back from a PC, if the first partition is compatible with windows?

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:46 pm

btw, Till, if you don't mind, do you think that the direct sd access could work, also, in a different way like adding the ability to select a single partition instead to select the whole SD ? So , in that case, we could have , say, a 4GB SD as: 3.5GB for the Mist core , then the rest 512MB for HDD (TOS/DOS format).

thx

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:57 pm

xc8 wrote:btw, Till, if you don't mind, do you think that the direct sd access could work, also, in a different way like adding the ability to select a single partition instead to select the whole SD ? So , in that case, we could have , say, a 4GB SD as: 3.5GB for the Mist core , then the rest 512MB for HDD (TOS/DOS format).

Who's going to access this special partition? TOS would assume it's an entire hdd incl partition table etc. and would be happy with that. But windows or any other operating system trying to access the SD card wouldn't know what to do with a partition that contains another complete harddisk image.

Or am i misunderstanding you?

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:30 pm

Not a special partition, just a normal partition, but the Mist will treat it as HDD, instead to use the SD from the start.

As I understand the current (direct) SD access does not support >512MB partitions for use with TOS , right? (larger are supported for TOS 4.00/Mint etc)
so, instead of -say- we have to waste all the space of an 8GB SD as 16x512MB partitions, why not having a big 7.5GB + 0.5GB for the HDD only, its just for usability, as MIst boots only from the 1st partition (AFAIK) there is nothing more (like disk images) that can be put there as it's just a half a gig partition...
but nevermind is just an idea. I have the feeling the Mist would be better if there were two SD slots, one for core startup/disk images , the second as "fixed disk".

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:50 pm

But then you can just use a harddisk image file with 512mb size. Why do you want this to be an extra partition?

I still don't understand what you want to achieve.

Stefanken
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Stefanken » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 pm

If one could use the second partition with hddriver and format it using dos/windows compatibility then transferring files from pc to the mist will be easier. Just like a real st with an ultrasatan (except for the fact that I need the first partition for the core files and maybe some useful floppy images)

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:43 pm

But the Atari will treat the second partition not like a single partition but as a whole hard disk. And the windows PC will not cope with that and will not recognize this at all.

Stefanken
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Stefanken » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:55 pm

Oh, I see... It's a hard life!
[emoji22]

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:07 pm

some feedback about the hd driver:

- the ahdi driver could be included into the disk_a.st floppy image.
- it's possible to prepare, format and partition the .hd file from within the hatari emulator (I've only tested for a 64 Mb file), it's working with MiST after that.
- When you partition your HD with the HDX utility, you don't have to format it after that. In fact, if you format it after partitionning, it will format back to the default with the 4 partitions split. (it's quite the opposite as from PC utilities, where you format after partitionning).

I've updated the wiki according to this : https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... assStorage

Now the question is: how can I copy (big) files from my Hatari Gemdos drive (which point to my PC HD), to the AHDI disk image? When I have both set, only one is showing up on the GEM desktop. (EDIT: found it. If we use emutos, we can have both HD without further setup, just check "gemdos after acsi partition" http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... ith_EmuTOS ).

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:59 pm

MiST supporting latest EmuTOS would in general make things easier as EmuTOS doesn't need any driver to access HD...

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:08 pm

My current setup is using a 512Mb SD card - one partition is a Windows compatible partition that I use to transfer files.

To mount it under Linux, I use

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/mmcplk0p3 /mnt

That way I don't need to use HDD files.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

cube48
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cube48 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:30 am

Hi, fresh and happy MIST owner here. I thought I'd share my experience with hdd driver from Peter of 8bitchip.
I've followed the instructions from official MIST Direct SD access wiki article applying the partitioning and driver installation steps relevant for Peter's driver.
It's possible to get the partitioning and driver installation done. I can see and use all the partitions until the hard restart of the MIST. I've created 3 partitions, 256 MB each on 8 GB SD card. I've tried two different SD cards to be sure it's not the medium. I placed the core and tos files to the first partition again but MIST doesn't start. It seems that the first partition formatted with Peter's tool is not a friendly host of core and tos files.
Solution is to replace this first partition with standard FAT32 one. I used gparted on Linux. Just deleted partition P1 (that's how's labeled by the tool) and created FAT32 in it's place. Then I could move the core and tos files there and start the MIST. Other partitions created with Peter's tool are visible in MIST and also on my Linux box so I can easily transfer files between the two. The first partition shows up in GEM as disk C but of course can't be written. No biggie.
I've used older version of Peter's driver (2013) and there was an update in 2014. I just asked Peter about the updated version. If i get the update, I'll report the results with the most recent version.

Thanks to all here for valuable info and inspiration and special thanks to the autor/s of MIST!

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:23 pm

I tried the PPHDRV , what I find is freaking slow writing times (on the MiST), eg making a new folder takes 30sec !
In my case, P1 partition is visible on the windows, the second one (used by the MiST) is not, there are some 'hacks' to see the SD's second partition , but as they involve disabling the verification of the digital signature, I will avoid it.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:03 pm

farvardin wrote:Now the question is: how can I copy (big) files from my Hatari Gemdos drive (which point to my PC HD), to the AHDI disk image? When I have both set, only one is showing up on the GEM desktop. (EDIT: found it. If we use emutos, we can have both HD without further setup, just check "gemdos after acsi partition" http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... ith_EmuTOS ).

Nice trick!! So far i used ED floppy disk images (36 sectors per track, 3.6MB per floppy) on the Hatari side. The MIST can read these as well. But being able to access a HDD image and the native host file system at the same time sounds perfect!

Sinclair
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Sinclair » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi, After reading the thread, is not clear to me if it is possible to create today a disk image larger than 1 GB compatible with FAT file system. I see that the most similar is the HDDRIVER of Seiment but it is paid.

Also I have seen in this thread some broken link to what seems to be the project's repository of this driver.

In short, I would manage with an empty image of at least 1.8GB to be able to dump it my PC files through Hatari. Not need to be compatible with the PC-DOS FS.

Thank you.
© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Return to “MiST”