Apple ][+ Core

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby DanyPPC » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:03 pm

What version of PoP have you tested ? Myne doesn't start.

Tested Pitfall II but my USB gamepad desn't work. I tryied to switch ports in menu too.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:22 pm

DanyPPC wrote:What version of PoP have you tested ? Myne doesn't start.

Tested Pitfall II but my USB gamepad desn't work. I tryied to switch ports in menu too.

https://www.popuw.com/apple.html
The "rebuilt from source" versions, as it's available as a direct .nib download.

I tried only the joystick emulation (shouldn't make a difference), worked in Tetris and POP.

rittwage
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby rittwage » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks! Colors are better now, but there is now some issue with text output...

Here, it is supposed to say "APPLE ][".

It boots and runs fine, but there are other oddities. The cursor is a "?" mark, etc.

EDIT: Sorry, you mentioned it was a WIP and doesn't show lower case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:55 pm

rittwage wrote:Thanks! Colors are better now, but there is now some issue with text output...

Here, it is supposed to say "APPLE ][".


Actually it should be Apple II/e :)
The ROM was also updated.

wsoltys
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby wsoltys » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Nice work on the core slingshot.
BTW did the mockingboard work for you? I never got it work correctly.

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby DanyPPC » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks Slingshot, PoP works and joystick too, tested on some games like Commando, Xevious and Bruce Lee.
Some require an analog joystick.

May you add support for mouse ?
It can be useful with Arkanoid.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:51 pm

wsoltys wrote:Nice work on the core slingshot.
BTW did the mockingboard work for you? I never got it work correctly.

Didn't try it yet, but will check later on.

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby Newsdee » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:27 am

This is not a huge priority, but if you are implementing the 80 columns / extended character set features, it would be nice if we could choose the language ROM. There were a few alternatives to the US standard, for French, Italian, German, and other languages. Here is an archive of some dumps of the relevant character ROMs: http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II ... %20Images/

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:29 am

Newsdee wrote:This is not a huge priority, but if you are implementing the 80 columns / extended character set features, it would be nice if we could choose the language ROM. There were a few alternatives to the US standard, for French, Italian, German, and other languages. Here is an archive of some dumps of the relevant character ROMs: http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II ... %20Images/


Since it's a must to have video ROM support, it's not very hard to make it uploadable via standard ROM loading mechanism. Interesting that on IIe, even the graphic patterns are coming from the ROM with a strange mapping of RAM bytes to video ROM address, which then gives the necessary data to the video shift register. They don't even call it character ROM, but video ROM.

Chris23235
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby Chris23235 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:50 pm

I wrote a batch to convert all dsk files from the TOSEC 2018-03-08 to nib files, just put it in the same folder as the dsk files and the dsk2nib.exe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rittwage
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby rittwage » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 pm

slingshot wrote:As NTSC is not in the RGB color space, a conversion is needed anyway. However it was not hard to fix. Also did some improvement towards IIe support, the result:
Photo0035.jpg

Attached the core (it's a work in progress, no double hi-res, so some games are displayed wrongly, even POP title screen, no lower letters).
I wonder if a Apple II+ model would need to be preserved, since I've learned the //E model was the most common and successful, and mostly compatible with the +.

Upd: I was wrong some days ago, the joystick was implemented, just a bug prevented it to work. Now it's OK (at least works for me).


Well, there are two versions of the //e - original and enhanced. The original //e is basically just a ][+ with language card and an 80-column card built-in. The enhanced version has a 65c02, and newer ROMs that add a few more enhancements. Typically a 128k RAM card was added to these, but I don't think that was specific to the standard or enhanced version. The final "Platinum" version was the same as the enhanced, but had 128k built-in and had a numeric keypad. The ROMs are the same as the enhanced.

I think it would be useful to emulate at least both of those versions since some code will not run on a 65c02 and vice-versa. For example, Classic ProDOS 2.0+ only runs on //e enhanced. The original //e and ][+ can run ProDOS <= 1.9 as long as it has at least a language card.

Technically, it looks like you are using the "enhanced" //e ROMs in an emulation with the original 6502? If so, you are creating a version of the enhanced //e that never existed.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:01 pm

rittwage wrote:Technically, it looks like you are using the "enhanced" //e ROMs in an emulation with the original 6502? If so, you are creating a version of the enhanced //e that never existed.


There's some progress since that:
Photo0036.jpg


The colors are wrong, but the timing generator for DHIRES and 80 column text mode are working already. And I found that even the enhanced firmware doesn't require the 65C02, so technically such an Apple IIe could exist (but as you see, you can choose a 65C02 now!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rittwage
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby rittwage » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:33 pm

slingshot wrote:
rittwage wrote:Technically, it looks like you are using the "enhanced" //e ROMs in an emulation with the original 6502? If so, you are creating a version of the enhanced //e that never existed.


There's some progress since that:
Photo0036.jpg

The colors are wrong, but the timing generator for DHIRES and 80 column text mode are working already. And I found that even the enhanced firmware doesn't require the 65C02, so technically such an Apple IIe could exist (but as you see, you can choose a 65C02 now!).


Very cool! Let me know when there is another release to test! :)

User avatar
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Gyula, Hungary

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby DrOG » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:57 am

slingshot wrote:There's some progress since that...

Very nice! :cheers:

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby Newsdee » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:25 am

slingshot wrote:The colors are wrong, but the timing generator for DHIRES and 80 column text mode are working already. And I found that even the enhanced firmware doesn't require the 65C02, so technically such an Apple IIe could exist (but as you see, you can choose a 65C02 now!).

The Enhanced //e chips was actually sold as a set of chips to replace in a IIe. One could "forget" to upgrade the CPU and... voila, you have a //e with a 6502.

Here is the manual that came with it: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... 0Guide.pdf

The new CPU allows to run software of the Apple //c, so essentially having an Enhanced //e allows for maximum compatibility for everything except the Apple II GS (which I'd consider a completely different computer, anyway).

I have a IIe that I had as a kid that I pimped as much as possible... added the Enhanced chipset, a CFFA 3000 (allows to use Compact Flash cards for disks and hard drive support), added an adaptor for a PS/2 keyboard, and a Mockinboard clone for sound. I didn't upgrade the output to VGA but I realized that it started to feel like a PC at some point. :lol:

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:22 pm

rittwage wrote:Very cool! Let me know when there is another release to test! :)


There's no reason to put out a new preview yet, I'm well aware of the bugs and missing things :)
However if somebody can help debugging, I can build one. And of course anyone can build from the git repo.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 pm

I was able to fix most of the bugs, there's a new auto-repeating keyboard, Apple II audit MMU tests are passing, so I decided to put out a new preview for the last day of the year. DHIRES and LORES colors are still wrong.
I recommend to try Mockingboard titles, like Skyfox, or the Cybernoid Music disk.

Happy New Year for everyone who still uses MiST!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:15 pm

A special gift for the the last of the year. Many thanks, go to test :)

User avatar
DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Gyula, Hungary

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby DrOG » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:03 am

slingshot wrote: ... I decided to put out a new preview for the last day of the year. ...
Happy New Year for everyone who still uses MiST!

Thank you very much & cheers!
I'm at my mother-in-law's apartment now, far away from my MiST, so can't wait the 4th of Jan., the day I arrive back home...

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby vebxenon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 pm

slingshot wrote:I was able to fix most of the bugs, there's a new auto-repeating keyboard, Apple II audit MMU tests are passing, so I decided to put out a new preview for the last day of the year. DHIRES and LORES colors are still wrong.
I recommend to try Mockingboard titles, like Skyfox, or the Cybernoid Music disk.

Happy New Year for everyone who still uses MiST!


Thanks very much! Hope you'll find soon the fix for the colours problem.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:18 pm

I think it's quite acceptable now, LORES colors weren't there even for the ][+ core.
I've put it to mist-binaries:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... s/appleIIe

Some plans for the future:
- Fix all colors
- Disk write support
- Loadable keyboard and video ROMs
- A big ram card (Ramworks?) with several megabytes
- Hard disk interface

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby vebxenon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:20 pm

slingshot wrote:I think it's quite acceptable now, LORES colors weren't there even for the ][+ core.
I've put it to mist-binaries:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... s/appleIIe

Some plans for the future:
- Fix all colors
- Disk write support
- Loadable keyboard and video ROMs
- A big ram card (Ramworks?) with several megabytes
- Hard disk interface


:cheers: :cheers: Thanks for your great work! :)
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4880
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:05 pm

May be Machintosh Plus core is more worth improvements? ;)

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby slingshot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Sorgelig wrote:May be Machintosh Plus core is more worth improvements? ;)

I didn't find it very interesting, it's just a black and white machine. Actually never managed to install the OS to the hard drive :)
But probably a good candidate for a second core of ijor's FX68k CPU. Maybe later this year.

User avatar
vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Apple ][+ Core

Postby vebxenon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 pm

slingshot wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:May be Machintosh Plus core is more worth improvements? ;)

I didn't find it very interesting, it's just a black and white machine. Actually never managed to install the OS to the hard drive :)
But probably a good candidate for a second core of ijor's FX68k CPU. Maybe later this year.


Good to know :-) Your work os great!
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board


Return to “MiST”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest