ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

greblus
Atarian
Atarian

Re: AW: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby greblus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 pm

greblus wrote:I've just converted a tzx which contains two sides of a tape and the game requires to stop the tape and then in certain moment continue loading on side b.

MasterOfGizmo wrote:Yes, that shouldn't be too hard. But how do i know when to pause and when to continue?

The game (R-Type) is displaying a message when to stop the tape and when to continue with side b. Currently, after the message to stop, the tape image goes on.

The question is: how many of such titles which require to stop the tape exist? (or is it worth the effort :)). I'm somehow fixed on R-Type since I've read "It's behind you", the book by Bob Pape of how R-Type was created. 128k version was my first try, but it looks somewhat broken (some sounds and sprites), so I wanted to try regular 48k version to see if it's just 128k version which is broken, but all i found so far are two sided tzx.

EDIT: I've checked YT videos with R-type on real spectrum and it turns out that neither sounds not sprites are broken in 128kb version I have. It's just like that on 48k spectrum :). I forgot how limited (yet beautiful) 48k version was in comparison to spectrum 128 with AY-3-8910.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Can't you split csw files? If you had two seperate csw files, one for each side, then you'd just select the second one whenever you are asked to.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

greblus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby greblus » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:22 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:Can't you split csw files? If you had two seperate csw files, one for each side, then you'd just select the second one whenever you are asked to.

It's a perfectly acceptable. Thanks for making spectrum core available on Mist.

And btw, I've seen last commit with SDHC warning message. Funny thing but exactly the same day i received 2 x 4GB SDHC Kingston cards (my main SD card started to show its age and from time to time couldn't be read by Linux/Windows PC, buy Mist wasn't complaining yet). Is there any specific scenario when SDHC wont work correctly?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:58 am

I am currently working on a way to give cores direct access to the sd card. This is mainly to ease porting of cores from boards like the terasic de1. And some of these cores don't cope with sdhc cards so you'll be warned if you try that anyway.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:13 pm

First, the core works quite brilliantly - nicely done :)

Second - has anyone had success using OTLA to accelerate something and successfully get it back to csw and have it actually load? Tried it myself with a few things and had no luck.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Jungsi wrote:
alexh wrote:
Jungsi wrote:Yeah - I know OTLA - can it output also files in CSW format?

It can save in WAV which can be converted to CSW. You have an app on your phone which can play CSW?

Which utility can convert from *.wav to *.csw? :-)

http://ramsoft.bbk.org.omegahg.com/csw.html

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Jungsi wrote:Working good (ok only tested one game) - is there a chance to ever use *.tap files? Because the loading time really hurts :-)

The latest core supports esxdos and thus directly loading tap files from sd card within a second.

mcleodideafix
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mcleodideafix » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:28 pm

alexh wrote:
Paradroyd wrote:It would be interesting to see this eventually get ported to MIST.

Pretty hard as they haven't released the sources :)

Sorry to reply to this so late: the ZX-Uno project is both open hardware and open source. All documentation, including schematics, gerbers, HDL descriptions and firmwares are available to anyone. See our repository (info published in the ZX-Uno wiki)
http://www.zxuno.com/wiki/index.php/ZX_ ... s_del_core

Or direct link:
http://guest:zxuno@www.atc.us.es/svn/zxuno

We are not afraid of competition, basically because we don't mean to compete against anybody :)

oscarbraindead
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby oscarbraindead » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:40 am

Would be great have a ZX-Uno port for MiST!

rrmagro
Atari User
Atari User

Postby rrmagro » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:57 pm

I am sorry, but where can I buy it?
Is there any kind of shop?
I would like to try it.

Regards

mcleodideafix
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mcleodideafix » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:39 pm

rrmagro wrote:I am sorry, but where can I buy it?
Is there any kind of shop?
I would like to try it.

Regards

We are testing prototype IV, and we want to go crowdfunding on March.

rrmagro
Atari User
Atari User

Postby rrmagro » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:05 am

That is great.
Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the reply.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:12 pm

mcleodideafix wrote:We are testing prototype IV, and we want to go crowdfunding on March.

:cheers:
Very cool to learn that! Thanks for the info.

mcleodideafix
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mcleodideafix » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:43 am

The crowdfunding campaign is due March 19, 2016, 9:00 GMT. More details, and campaign URL to follow as soon as the crowdfunding website gives us the OK.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 pm

The price is pretty good, and the fact it uses SRAM might make some ports easier for cores not yet in the MiST. Too bad it has no USB but then something's got to give to keep it cheap.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:59 am

mcleodideafix wrote:The crowdfunding campaign is due March 19, 2016, 9:00 GMT. More details, and campaign URL to follow as soon as the crowdfunding website gives us the OK.

Just waiting :) Quest called me to tell me the good news! :cheers:

Regards,

Salva
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 am

Newsdee wrote:The price is pretty good, and the fact it uses SRAM might make some ports easier for cores not yet in the MiST. Too bad it has no USB but then something's got to give to keep it cheap.

Master System core using some improvements on T80 works better, for example :D
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:23 pm

vebxenon wrote:Master System core using some improvements on T80 works better, for example :D

Sure but is that just because of the SDRAM, or the HDL code? If it's just a difference in HDL it can be ported back to the MiST?

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:22 pm

They are all gone, in only a few hours... well done! (Since I already own a MiST, I didn't buy the ZX-Uno but it is very cool indeed)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:26 am

I ordered one before they ran out; yes it's similar to the MiST but there are enough minor differences to make it interesting. I like that is has a EAR port, and SRAM will enable running some cores the MiST currently cannot do.

Also, both boards being open source means the projects can only benefit from each other. There might be improvements we can back-port to the MiST :)

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:05 am

Newsdee wrote:I ordered one before they ran out; yes it's similar to the MiST but there are enough minor differences to make it interesting. I like that is has a EAR port, and SRAM will enable running some cores the MiST currently cannot do.

Also, both boards being open source means the projects can only benefit from each other. There might be improvements we can back-port to the MiST :)

I don't know much about this ZX-Uno : will it be powerful enough to 'emulate' a Falcon, Amiga or ST ?
Falcon, Atari 1040 STE, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amigas, Archimedes, RISC PCs, Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QLs inc. Q68, and more !
2200 m2 museum on its way https://youtu.be/xjB6_Ez-3BA
Shorter video here : https://youtu.be/UEZisfkcN1Y

Currently porting SOTB to the Archie : https://www.youtube.com/user/Archimedes75009/featured

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:57 am

Zarchos wrote:I don't know much about this ZX-Uno : will it be powerful enough to 'emulate' a Falcon, Amiga or ST ?

Not a chance. The specs are far lower than the MiST :D when I wrote "similar" I was thinking about the ZX Spectrum core.

It does have a faster type of RAM (512kb of SRAM) which some cores out there seem to be using and are challenging to port to the MiST, and also it has a microphone port for the Spectrum which the MiST doesn't have either (allowing to connect real tapes to it). But the FPGA is less than half the size of the one inside the MiST, it has no USB port, much less memory, no MIDI, etc.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Where can I get one of these?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:19 am

They've sold out in one day... hopefully that means they produce them and do another batch quickly!

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:53 am

They sold out in less than a day. If they manage to build them quickly they might do another run this year, but I think the original schedule was for shipping in October.

Its possible to build one's own board by getting a PCB done. I don't trust my soldering skills enough for that, though...

Return to “MiST”