ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

User avatar
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Contact:

ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Paradroyd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:21 pm

It would be interesting to see this eventually get ported to MIST.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

User avatar
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1034
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am

How about this:
https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/so ... 2_r306.rbf

It's not the zxone core but a port of Mike Strlings core from http://www.mike-stirling.com/retro-fpga ... n-an-fpga/

It supports tape emulation via csw 1 files (http://ramsoft.bbk.org.omegahg.com/csw.html#CSW1FORMAT). These can be generated from tzx files using the tzx2wav tool. You first select "Tape Loader" from the Spectrums menu and the start tape upload using the MISTs OSD and selecting a CSW1 file on the SD card.

The core implements a spectrum 128. The MISTs joystick is mapped to a Kempston compatible implementation.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

User avatar
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: UK - Oxford
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby alexh » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am

Paradroyd wrote:It would be interesting to see this eventually get ported to MIST.

Pretty hard as they haven't released the sources :)

User avatar
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1034
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:33 pm

They are preparing a hardware release and might be afraid of competition. Only the brave place their code on google ... :-)
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

User avatar
Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Jungsi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Working good (ok only tested one game) - is there a chance to ever use *.tap files? Because the loading time really hurts :-)
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby eeun » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Cool! Just loaded up Archon. I'd forgotten how long we used to wait for a game to load back in the cassette days. :coffe:

I couldn't use the tap2csw program I found, since it only works on 32-bit windows. tzx2wav works like a charm.

Thanks (once again) Till!

User avatar
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1034
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 pm

MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:54 am
Location: USA/Florida

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby NML32 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks Till for adding the ZX Spectrum.
I don't know much about the Spectrum and was wondering if there was an easy way to convert .tap to .csw format. Most of my files are in tap format.

Thanks

User avatar
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Paradroyd » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 am

MasterOfGizmo wrote:How about this:
https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/so ... 2_r306.rbf

It's not the zxone core but a port of Mike Strlings core from http://www.mike-stirling.com/retro-fpga ... n-an-fpga/

It supports tape emulation via csw 1 files (http://ramsoft.bbk.org.omegahg.com/csw.html#CSW1FORMAT). These can be generated from tzx files using the tzx2wav tool. You first select "Tape Loader" from the Spectrums menu and the start tape upload using the MISTs OSD and selecting a CSW1 file on the SD card.

The core implements a spectrum 128. The MISTs joystick is mapped to a Kempston compatible implementation.


This is great..thanks! Looking forward to fooling around with it.

I know very little about the Spectrum, but I'm reading up on it. World of Spectrum is a great resource.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

User avatar
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: UK - Oxford
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby alexh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 pm

If the loading time is killing you then use OTLA. It is a tool which creates accelerated MP3's which still work thanks to the improved signal to noise ratio of modern MP3 players vs cassette players.

https://code.google.com/p/otla/

User avatar
Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Jungsi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:12 pm

alexh wrote:If the loading time is killing you then use OTLA. It is a tool which creates accelerated MP3's which still work thanks to the improved signal to noise ratio of modern MP3 players vs cassette players.

https://code.google.com/p/otla/

Yeah - I know OTLA - can it output also files in CSW format?
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

User avatar
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Paradroyd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:54 am

I'm using the command line utility tzx2wav to convert files. It works great, but I've only been able to get it to convert one tzx at a time. It doesn't seem to support wildcards unless I'm missing something. I've had to explicitly feed it one tzx at a time. That's a whole lot of typing. (I know, 1st world problem).

Does anyone know of a way to mass convert all tzx's in a directory at once?
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

breiztiger
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:54 am
Location: FRANCE

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby breiztiger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:37 am

Hi

Perhaps with a batch file (for %%f in (*.tzx) ...) :roll:

Breiztiger

User avatar
alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2628
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: UK - Oxford
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby alexh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Jungsi wrote:Yeah - I know OTLA - can it output also files in CSW format?

It can save in WAV which can be converted to CSW. You have an app on your phone which can play CSW?

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby eeun » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Paradroyd wrote:Does anyone know of a way to mass convert all tzx's in a directory at once?


I haven't attempted batch converting many files, but I did write a small Windows .bat file so you only need to type the file name. Not as good as a mass conversion, but still faster than having to open the command line every time.

set /p Input=file to convert:
TZX2WAV.EXE -c1 %Input%

Dal
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4123
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 am
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Dal » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:15 pm

If you change %input& to %1 and get rid of your set /p line, then you can just drag and drop the file to convert on top of the batch file in Windows... ;)
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

User avatar
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Paradroyd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Dal wrote:If you change %input& to %1 and get rid of your set /p line, then you can just drag and drop the file to convert on top of the batch file in Windows... ;)

Thanks! That's a whole lot easier.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

User avatar
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Paradroyd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Dal wrote:If you change %input& to %1 and get rid of your set /p line, then you can just drag and drop the file to convert on top of the batch file in Windows... ;)


Expanding on that idea a bit, if you make the default action in windows for tzx files to run that batch file (via rightclick, properties, then change "opens with"), all you have to do is double click a tzw and a CSW version is created in the same directory.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:54 am
Location: USA/Florida

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby NML32 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Has anyone tried ULA + games? I've tried a few from the link below but haven't had any luck running them. The few that I've tried load and I get a menu screen but then crashes when I start the game.

http://www.abrimaal.pro-e.pl/zx/ulaplus.htm

Edit:
I went back and looked at Mike Strlings web page and didn't see any ref to ULA+.
I think I was confusing Mike's FPGA core with Alessandro Dorigatti.
https://sites.google.com/site/speccycores/home

:oops:

User avatar
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:51 am

I was able to batch convert all of my tzx files to CSW in windows by doing a "dir /s /w/>c:\convert.cmd" then by using Notepad++ to do a mixture of search & replace and column edits, build a massive batch file that basically explicitly called out every tzx in the hierarchy (a LOT) and it did a "tzx2wav -c1 'filename.tzx'" for each of them. It took a while to build and it was a beast of a batch file, but it converted everything in one really long run.

Problem solved.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

Dal
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4123
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:31 am
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Dal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:41 am

Would have been a lot faster to do something like this in a batch file:

Code: Select all

CD c:\path\to\unconverted\tzx\files
FOR /F %%f IN (DIR *.tzx) DO c:\path\to\converter\tzx2wav.com -c1 "%%f"


you can do it straight off the command line but you'd need to use %f rather than %%f.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

User avatar
Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Jungsi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 am

alexh wrote:
Jungsi wrote:Yeah - I know OTLA - can it output also files in CSW format?

It can save in WAV which can be converted to CSW. You have an app on your phone which can play CSW?

Which utility can convert from *.wav to *.csw? :-)
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

User avatar
Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby Paradroyd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Dal wrote:Would have been a lot faster to do something like this in a batch file:

Code: Select all

CD c:\path\to\unconverted\tzx\files
FOR /F %%f IN (DIR *.tzx) DO c:\path\to\converter\tzx2wav.com -c1 "%%f"


you can do it straight off the command line but you'd need to use %f rather than %%f.


More "proper", certainly, and faster for someone that knows the syntax for how to do this in Windows, which I didn't. I'll keep track of this for next time though, and at the rate cores are being released, there will certainly be a next time.

Thanks.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

greblus
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:40 am

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby greblus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:It supports tape emulation via csw 1 files (http://ramsoft.bbk.org.omegahg.com/csw.html#CSW1FORMAT). These can be generated from tzx files using the tzx2wav tool. You first select "Tape Loader" from the Spectrums menu and the start tape upload using the MISTs OSD and selecting a CSW1 file on the SD card.


Hi Till. Would it be possible to pause the tape emulation and then continue?

I've just converted a tzx which contains two sides of a tape and the game requires to stop the tape and then in certain moment continue loading on side b.

User avatar
MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1034
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: AW: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 pm

greblus wrote:
MasterOfGizmo wrote:It supports tape emulation via csw 1 files (http://ramsoft.bbk.org.omegahg.com/csw.html#CSW1FORMAT). These can be generated from tzx files using the tzx2wav tool. You first select "Tape Loader" from the Spectrums menu and the start tape upload using the MISTs OSD and selecting a CSW1 file on the SD card.


Hi Till. Would it be possible to pause the tape emulation and then continue?

I've just converted a tzx which contains two sides of a tape and the game requires to stop the tape and then in certain moment continue loading on side b.

Yes, that shouldn't be too hard. But how do i know when to pause and when to continue?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki


Return to “MiST”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests