ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

bernouilli
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: ZX-UNO Spectrum FPGA

Postby bernouilli » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:43 pm

That's good news, I hope it gets ported to MiST.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:21 pm

I know the original next186 core. I even tried to port it to MiST, but stuck on one place. Also i had no good environment for true VGA output.
Well, if port will be released in source code, i will try to port again. Original version uses SDRAM.

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Agreed, it would be greate to see this ported to the MiST.

DistWave
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DistWave » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I know the original next186 core. I even tried to port it to MiST, but stuck on one place. Also i had no good environment for true VGA output.
Well, if port will be released in source code, i will try to port again. Original version uses SDRAM.

Of course, I will release the modifications. Unfortunately, I don't think the MiST port could get an advantage from them because I replaced the 16 bit SDRAM controller with an 8 bit SRAM controller, and the MiST needs a SDRAM controller. With this modifications the core would be harder to port than the original one.

I also tried to make a port for the Altera DE1 board, but it didn't work at all. I think the Quartus software can't implement correctly some parts of the original design.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:12 am

That PC core looks great!
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Tue May 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Apparantly the ZX Uno is the predecessor to the ZX Spectrum Next kickstarter. It seems the same developers are behind both, and the KS reached one of the stretchgoals which was a bigger FPGA (SLX16 instead of SLX9).

http://zxuno.speccy.org/maquina_e.shtml
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... =user_menu

At £99 the Next board is a bit more expensive than the ZX-Uno at €67, but otoh, it got a bigger FPGA and have some more features, including the option to add more RAM.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed May 10, 2017 1:35 am

Greenious wrote:Apparantly the ZX Uno is the predecessor to the ZX Spectrum Next kickstarter. It seems the same developers are behind both.

Where do you see that? The developers are definitely not the same; perhaps you are thinking of the TBBlue board.

That said, the ZXUno is open hardware, so they could have taken it as a starting point. The SLX16 FPGA is better than the Uno but remains below the MiST though.

I also suspect the core might not be open source. Many users won't care... but it is a significant difference.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 am

I assumed... the mother of all f*ckups... lol

The boards are using a lot of the same components.

Next says they will release it as open source after the kickstarter. (I also believe the work they based it on requires it).

Anyway, they haven't revealed all stretchgoals yet, but from the design, it looks like a SLX25 would be a drop in replacement aswell. (using a FPG256 package which exist as SLX9/16/25)
viewtopic.php?t=5040

sebdel

Postby sebdel » Fri May 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Just ordered a spectrum next. I'm weak... I would pay twice as much for a Atari ST next though :(

NML32
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NML32 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 pm

sebdel wrote:Just ordered a spectrum next. I'm weak... I would pay twice as much for a Atari ST next though :(

I ordered one also.

weirdocollector
Atariator
Atariator

Postby weirdocollector » Sat May 13, 2017 7:33 am

You won't regret that :wink:

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat May 13, 2017 8:02 am

Well, I should fess up... I got in aswell. the triple AY demo convinced me... lol
viewtopic.php?t=5040

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Sun May 14, 2017 4:01 pm

I keep looking at the Spectrum Next,but haven't bit yet. I must watch my spacial real estate when it comes to retro stuff. Never had a Speccy but I do have a MIST. I like that the Next core promises to be open source/released. How does the current MIST core fare compared to any clone Speccy so far? (I have the core and can tinker with it but don't have an experienced frame of reference). If it is near perfection, I may have to stay with that.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 am

I'm not the most heavy duty user of the ZX Spectrum, but if you don't care about hardware extensions, the MiST core is as good as it gets. I cannot tell the difference from my real ZX and 2+ computers combined with a "DivMMC Enjoy!" extension for an SD card. In fact I use the same SD card for both :)

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 am

The primary selling points of Next is compatibility with existing spectrum hardware addons and the case. If that doesn't matter, MiST is a better option imho.

As for MiST, most of all I miss an Atari-inspired case and the ability to use an Atari (Mega/TT) keyboard. Which is the main reason I have yet to buy one, despite my affection for it. But I am looking at it, and might bite soon anyway, and likely attempt modifying it so that I can use a mega keyboard.
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon May 15, 2017 2:09 am

You can use real keyboards with a USB adapter :)

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon May 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Oh, there is an USB adapter available that lets me use my atari kb with MiST or even PC?
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon May 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Greenious wrote:As for MiST, most of all I miss an Atari-inspired case and the ability to use an Atari (Mega/TT) keyboard. Which is the main reason I have yet to buy one...

That's understandable. The standard MiST metal case is somewhat uninspiring. Someone on the forum posted a couple of case designs a while back, and I had the red one printed onto textured adhesive plastic. It makes it feel much more like a "real" product, rather than a niche project.
http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24583&p=278771
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 am

That is great to know about the speccy core. I saw the USA based ZX Spectrum collector video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqnIa4rXK_c
and I was saddened that USA collectors would normally have to deal with many incompatibility setbacks. SO the MIST is a good option if you can do without the nostalgia of the beeper speaker and the rubber membrane keyboard. Perhaps MIST + Tynemouth Software etsy products like retro computers turned into usb keyboards are the closest thing.

I am curious as to MIST Speccy core updates after the Next is released. I'd also love a definitive and constantly updated thread about Mist cores and how close (84%, 92% 100%, etc) they are to the real deal. I learned that the SMS and C64 cored still need some love so I at least still have a real C64. I have an Atari 800xl and this info would be good to know which retro systems I can retire in theory if the MIST clones are that accurate.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 am

One challenge is to accurately measure % of support. One can run games and list them but its super time consuming. A test suite would be nice but then several cores pass the existing ones... its the undocumented opcodes/features that are hard.

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am

@Greenious

If you see Tynemouth's etsy page, you can get a lot of classic computer shells/keyboards converted to usb keyboards or get a kit to convert one yourself. The 800xl is hard to do because of the ribbon cable. Still, I am looking at his conversion for a C64 where you can toggle it as a usb keyboard and switch back to the keys controlling the C64! That may be an option if Tynemouth makes it for your computer of choice.

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Hey everyone! I'm typing on my new ZX Spectrum Recreated!!! It has QWERTY mode and Speccy for emulators and the company app. Guess what (ESPECIALLY NEWSDEE)? I won't BE using an emulator. I'll be using my MIst Speccy core!! I wonder if I am the first in the world with this setup combo of recreated zx spectrum and MIst?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 pm

I love that enthusiasm!

Took me a second to realize this recreated speccy is actually a Bluetooth keyboard... how do you connect it to the MiST? USB?

It is a much much nicer solution than my wireless keyboard with stickers from the ZX-UNO guys. :P

antoniovillena
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby antoniovillena » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 am

Greenious wrote:Apparantly the ZX Uno is the predecessor to the ZX Spectrum Next kickstarter. It seems the same developers are behind both, and the KS reached one of the stretchgoals which was a bigger FPGA (SLX16 instead of SLX9).

http://zxuno.speccy.org/maquina_e.shtml
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... =user_menu

At £99 the Next board is a bit more expensive than the ZX-Uno at €67, but otoh, it got a bigger FPGA and have some more features, including the option to add more RAM.

The ZX-Uno costs €62 worldwide shipping on my online store:
http://antoniovillena.es

Also there is a lot of addons for the ZX-Uno (last one adds a jamma connector to play arcade machines) here:
http://retrolandia.net/foro/forumdisplay.php?fid=15

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm

ZX-Uno has a big drawback - it's limited to Spanish society. Developers should make English as a primary language for their forums if they really want to spread their project. Google translator is handy, but still it's a big red sign for most people.

Return to “MiST”